please give your opinion..

hi, guys… i’m still newbie in here…
and i’m interested to switch from the usual operating system I use to linux opensuse. but when looking at various types of desktop environment that I have observed, I am confused to choose between KDE or GNOME. can anyone give me a favour…? :slight_smile:

Yes, everybody can give you HER/HIS favor and that’s the problem.

Install both (not a problem at all) and decide for yourself.

And for the rest of this thread, my crystal ball indicates “let the trolling begin”.

Use both then decide, generally the majority would probably say KDE but there is plenty of happy gnome users.

Really the only time you may get a preferred would be for a lighter DE if the system had reasons for i.e something like LXDE on a minimal install for a system light on ram.

The handy thing is you can install both and decide for your self, at login. If you’re just starting you’ll probably re-install once or twice till the habit dies so by the final’ish time you should of made the decision. Though you will be able to remove a DE even without a reinstall. Though it will more than likely leave the odd dependency behind.

hi, guys… i’m still newbie in here…
and i’m interested to switch over from the usual operating system I use to linux opensuse. but when looking at various types of desktop environment that I have observed, I am confused to choose between KDE or GNOME. can anyone give me a favour…? :slight_smile:
I tried KDE, it has more effects on looking but I can not bear the slow speed. KDE needs much longer bootup time and grab away too much system resources ( memory, cpu power etc).
it looks like quick reaction of the OS get higher priority for me. I abandon the Winxxxs, cause it is too slow. that is why I prefer gnome than kde at first time I try. I even tried fluxbox. that one is amazing fast. but then it has compatible problems.
When I try to use GNOME, most of all, gnome does not have K programs, I dislike it. And i hate for the Graphical interface reminds me too much of Winxxs.

You also have LXDE and XFCE as for looks/apps that really is non-starter you can run KDE apps on gnome and vis versa.

Gnome Look

KDE

It’s quite feasible to make either look similar to either, then you have the multitude of docks that’ll still take the appearance and look still further away from default.

At the moment you seem to be saying I want to run kde apps in a remodelled gnome, well you can.

As you will likely discover, there are very large differences of opinions on desktops.

I like both KDE and Gnome. I find no speed difference between KDE and Gnome but rather I note their differences in other areas.

If one likes Gnome, and likes a simple/clean desktop, then LXDE, which is relatively new to openSUSE can be used. LXDE is FAST ! Not quite as fast as fluxbox, but close, and its a LOT faster than KDE/Gnome on an old PC. However its simple/clean interface, like that of Gnome, may remind you of Winxxs. (is the windoze interface that bad ? The vast majority of people I know in this world use Windoze and they LIKE the interface) . Having typed that, I find KDE reminds me more of Winxxx than Gnome, and I find Gnome can be tuned to remind me of the MacIntosh. …

For a FAST destkop, in addition to LXDE there is also Xfce. Its not as fast as LXDE but it is faster than KDE/Gnome.

And finally there is also Englightentment Desktop in SOAD (SuSE on active diet).

As far as the statement that “gnome does not have K programs” I do NOT understand that. “k programs” can be run on gnome. They can be run on LXDE, Xfce, etc … but they will add overheard and slow things down if run.

You say KDE is slow for you. I can assure you KDE is fast enough when you have enough CPU and RAM. What sort of CPU, RAM and video card do you have? Perhaps if you don’t have enough RAM you should be looking at LXDE.

@oldcpu: is there a repo for LXDE? --and-- can it be installed and run alongside Gnome and/or KDE with choice which to run at boot time?

I use Gnome personally.

yes: Index of /repositories/X11:/lxde/openSUSE_11.2 , yes, yes, not at boottime, yes at login screen. I use all three of them. If I need a quick login, just to check something LXDE is the choice. Enter password, 1 sec, LXDE. I have not experienced any trouble running KDE4 and Gnome apps on LXDE.

Thanks
In Yast Software, there’s no LXDE pattern, so is it just a search using the term “lxde” and install everything (about 15 RPMs)? .

You could install both, and select either one at start-up.

Or, download the Live Gnome and Live KDE, burn them to a CD, and boot each CD and try out Gnome and KDE.

Do a google search gnome verses kde. Just make sure they make reference to KDE 4 and Gnome 3, which I hear is major, due out in 9/2010. I’ve found youtube videos to sometimes be helpful. Wikipedia is another option.

In Yast Software, there’s no LXDE pattern, so is it just a search using the term “lxde” and install everything (about 15 RPMs)? *.

YaST does not offer all available patterns. Which ones are available is shown by the command

zypper se -t pattern

As you can see then, one pattern is ‘LXDE’, its content can be viewed via

zypper if -t pattern LXDE

and installed by

zypper in -t pattern LXDE

YaST does not offer all available patterns. Which ones are available is shown by the command

zypper se -t pattern

As you can see then, one pattern is ‘LXDE’, its content can be viewed via

zypper if -t pattern LXDE

and installed by

zypper in -t pattern LXDE

Thanks gropiuskalle, it’s installing as I type :slight_smile:

Hey this LXDE is really cool. NetworkManager works too, along with Firefox and Thunderbird OOB. I suppose most everything else does too. I think I’ll cruise with LXDE for a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the experience.

I find LXDE gives the best experience (relative to Gnome/KDE) on an older PC with 128M to 512M of RAM. Or possibly also on an older PC with significantly less CPU than my oldest PC (which is an athlon-1100). Once one has a PC with 1GB of RAM, then Gnome and KDE perform relatively ok, and their features out weight the slight performance gain (with 1GB RAM) that one gets from LXDE. But with the lower RAM levels of 128M to 512M, neither Gnome nor KDE can compete with LXDE.

Before the end of this month I want to have tried out as many of the “more popular” LXDE desktop features for tuning that I can. Anubisg1, the main packager for openSUSE LXDE, walked me through doing a repackaging of xvidcap for 11.3 M4, and my ultimate plan is to create a very short LXDE introductory video clip of its various features.

For such a light weight desktop, its surprising how much it can be tuned.

You can also try KDE3 by enabling KDE3 repository. I think it should not be worser than LXDE.

Ansus, KDE3 has WAY more features than LXDE. But on a PC that has only 128M to 512M of RAM, LXDE is WAY faster than KDE3. KDE3 is a HEAVY desktop. LXDE is a light desktop. No comparison there.

Plus LXDE, unlike KDE3, is still actively developed.