Please, a bit of advice needed

Hello,

I’m new to Linux, but not to computers. For the last 15 years I’ve made my living on the windows side of things. Lately I’ve been looking at Linux (no specific distro) as an alternative to windows on my home systems. I don’t hate windows, MS isn’t the devil, Vista runs just fine for me, I’m not posting this to stir up the evangelists on either side.

Recently I saw a KDE 4.x video someplace and it looked very impressive. In the past I’ve run Linux (both Gnome and KDE) for very short periods of time but I felt that the “fit and finish” of the GUI wasn’t all that hot. After seeing the potential of KDE 4, that appears to be (or soon will be) a thing of the past. I’m posting here because after looking around on the net it seems like the consensus is that OpenSUSE has about the best implementation of the new KDE.

So help a guy out. Is KDE 4 stable enough to use as my primary desktop? Do applications run on it well enough to do the basics of e-mail, surfing, playing music (Amarok is awesome), office apps and such? If I go with KDE4 what version should I start with?

Am I going about this wrong? Is there a better place to start or a better way to learn Linux?

I know part of this is hardware related, so briefly; AMD 3800+, nVidia 7900, 3GB RAM, 80 GB WD Raptor drive for the OS.

Any and all constructive advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

First, if you go with opensuse 11 I think you may fine KDE 4.1 to be
something preferred to 4.0 (I have not used either, but I’ve watched a
lot on these forums w/regard to it lately). This is also an option with
opensuse 11 as I recall.

Second, how to get into Linux? I would recommend (as it worked for me)
just doing it. Don’t drop windows completely as that is difficult in
most cases, but that’s also what virtual machines are for. I run a VM
when needed on my laptop. I never shut it down, never do updates, never
add any software besides what I need it for, and it uses NAT-based
networking, so nothing can reach it directly unless it goes there first.
I use VMware Server specifically (though know others who use Player
with no issues) and it’s been great. Since I never shut down the VM
resuming/suspending is trivial and quick (compared to bootup/shutdown
for sure).

So what else? Read these forums. Post questions as you have done.
Personally I don’t know if I would go to KDE 4.x quite yet, but a lot of
the “impressive” stuff you’ve seen may be available in older versions of
KDE or Gnome. The XGL/Compiz/Beryl animations (3D effects) are
available outside KDE 4.x and most people I know use Gnome for those.
If there are specific things you desire feel free to ask. The opensuse
forums are divided into various pieces and are fairly active so you
should get a response within a day at most unless you really ask
something off the way or describe your issue poorly, but based on this
first post I think you’ll be fine.

Keep in mind there are also LiveCDs/LiveDVDs of opensuse which let you
boot without installing. The system is slower when you do this (optical
media are slow compared to hard drives) but it will let you see what you
can do and maybe do your first install properly. When you do install
opensuse it will repartition your drive for you so you can leave windows
there and dual-boot if/when needed. Despite this convenience be sure
everything in windows you could ever want is backed up properly and you
have defragemented. It’s just a good thing.

Good luck.

Cithel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m new to Linux, but not to computers. For the last 15 years I’ve made
> my living on the windows side of things. Lately I’ve been looking at
> Linux (no specific distro) as an alternative to windows on my home
> systems. I don’t hate windows, MS isn’t the devil, Vista runs just fine
> for me, I’m not posting this to stir up the evangelists on either side.
>
>
> Recently I saw a KDE 4.x video someplace and it looked very impressive.
> In the past I’ve run Linux (both Gnome and KDE) for very short periods
> of time but I felt that the “fit and finish” of the GUI wasn’t all that
> hot. After seeing the potential of KDE 4, that appears to be (or soon
> will be) a thing of the past. I’m posting here because after looking
> around on the net it seems like the consensus is that OpenSUSE has about
> the best implementation of the new KDE.
>
> So help a guy out. Is KDE 4 stable enough to use as my primary desktop?
> Do applications run on it well enough to do the basics of e-mail,
> surfing, playing music (Amarok is awesome), office apps and such? If I
> go with KDE4 what version should I start with?
>
> Am I going about this wrong? Is there a better place to start or a
> better way to learn Linux?
>
> I know part of this is hardware related, so briefly; AMD 3800+, nVidia
> 7900, 3GB RAM, 80 GB WD Raptor drive for the OS.
>
> Any and all constructive advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for your
> help!
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFI2ZL73s42bA80+9kRAnVKAJwORml8bJftUqyjAd3NKn0LikcRFQCfVDFp
H9N+4sCBGDz72yk82lujm/M=
=CgDB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

First your hardware. If you want all those shinny desktop effects (that eventually you turn off after showing to other people for 15min ;)) then you might have a problem with the nVidia. Still, I’m not sure about this, just a warning from what I’ve red.

KDE 4 stable enough …

Yes [8/10]. OpenSUSE 11 has KDE 4.0.4. I’ve upgraded to KDE 4.1 and it’s quite stable. KRunner crashes frequently but it restarts automatically. Everything else is stable or hardly ever crashes.

… to use as my primary desktop?

If you come from Windows then you have to check for yourself. If your spend most of the time using MS Office then OpenOffice is an alternative not a replacement.

Do applications run on it well enough to do the basics of e-mail, surfing, playing music (Amarok is awesome), office apps and such?

Yes, definitely (taking in mind the note about OpenOffice).

If I go with KDE4 what version should I start with?

The latest. :slight_smile: Either wait for OpenSUSE 11.1 in December (almost an eternity in Internet time) or go with OpenSUSE 11.0 and do all upgrades including the KDE 4.1.1 from Factory. This may read strange to you but it’s really simple. Read Package Repositories - openSUSE.

And welcome to the light side … just kidding ;).

Cithel,

Dual boot is the way to go.
That way you can learn linux at your own pace and have windows to fall back on if needed.

I have 2 dual boot systems been running Ubuntu about a year and now decided to try out openSUSE11. At this point in time I don’t need MS anymore. I can do everything you mentioned above with linux.

Linux is very stable and what I like most about it is you just turn it on and run it. There is no registry worries, no anti virus programs to install and run. No defragging to do. No endless spyware/malware scans to run, etc. Linux has come a long way the last few years and best of all it’s free.

OpenSUSE 11 has KDE 4.0.4. which I still have.

I’ve been told to upgrade to KDE 4.1 and it’s quite stable.
Question is how do you upgrade?
I’ve only been using openSUSE 11 for less than a week.

For the KDE 4.1.1
1.Yast>Software repositories
2.Go here: KDE/Repositories - openSUSE
Add the following:
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0

Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0

Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.0

3.Once those repos are in Yast>Software Management
In the pane On the left click Filter Select Repositories Look for The KDE logo the one you want will tooltip(right click it)be
KDE:/KDE4:/Factory
Click on that in the right pane you’ll see a long list of Packages right click the 1st one with a blue number select All in tis List Then select Update if newer version available
If all has gone well You should have the latest KDE4.1.1, hope that helps you.

Help…
This all seems pretty complicated.
When I click on those 3 links they seem to give me many more choices and I’m not sure what to select or download. Some look like they will download others ask you to save or open. Do I select everything or what? I was used to Ubuntu that seemed to do things more automatically for you.
This seems to be many more steps and operations to do.

You can try the 1-click install that chooses all the right sources for you. Nevertheless you probably have to solve some conflicts (because KDE 4.1.1 conflicts with the default KDE 4.0.4 and that one needs to be removed) and that is more technical, that is, you need some knowledge of what is happening. But try it…

http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/d/dd/Kde4-ymp.png](http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0/KDE4-DEFAULT.ymp)
(open with YaST Meta Package Handler)

Thanks m4ktub, that’s what I worried about.
I welcome all further comment on this point.

I’ve only been running openSUSE for a week and so far haven’t noticed any conflicts with the basic setup I have listed below but am still learning it. I don’t need any more conflicts. I have been using Ubuntu for the last year and it has been pretty trouble free and updates very well and simple by itself mostly with a one click option. OpenSUSE surprised me with all the steps you have to go through by comparison.

I am very happy with how quick openSUSE runs on my 11year old 400Mhz P2 with 384MB of ram, desktop.

@ ab
Thanks for the help! Especially about the Live CD’s. I had forgotten that they were available. Downloading now! :slight_smile:

@m4ktub
Thanks for the link and advice, its appreciated! Also thanks for explaining this bright light all over the place, I was beginning to wonder! :slight_smile:

@cybrsaylr
Thanks for the response, Yeah I think after reading this dual-boot is the way to go, at least for now.

Some general openSUSE concepts (not KDE specific) are here for users transitioning from other Operating Systems, with some computer experience:
Concepts - openSUSE

Oldcpu,

Brilliant!! Thanks!

Cith

I’ve been using openSUSE 10.3 for quite some time but when I switched to 11 and KDE4 I got quite a disappointment. Quite a lot of applications had to be rewritten and were missing functionality that was available in KDE3.5. It seems that a lot of enhancements/shortcomings like this have been fixed in KDE 4.1 but I think you will have to wait to 4.2 or maybe 4.3 (if they are planned) before it will be fully usuable. This also depends on your usage of applications but I’m only a moderate user and do not do fancy video rendering or other high CPU utilising programs