Patterns safe to remove on initial install

Hello everyone,
I’m just about to give tumbleweed a go as my main driver on desktop for a while and would like to know how many patterns can I safely remove to keep system slightly less bloated.

I don’t really need any of the office suite, so that can go, but I do want all KDE functionality, full multimedia functionality, graphics functionality, gimp + pinta, also kdenlive, avidemux, handbrake, vlc…don’t really need much more than that…I haven’t used suse for a while and just thought I had beter ask because I know that removing too many patterns can be a bit of a disaster…

Any other advice for installing a fairly lean system greatly appreciated, I don’t have separate gpu, I have integrated SandyBridge Intel 2500k so that should be nice and easy…

Nice to be back on this forum after a long time, have been using Manjaro for a while after getting fed up with regular Arch aur breakages etc etc…

Regards to all

Le 02/11/2017 à 12:46, openSUSEreturner a écrit :
>
> Hello everyone,
> I’m just about to give tumbleweed a go as my main driver on desktop

only for the Brave :-))

> Any other advice for installing a fairly lean system greatly
> appreciated,

if you use video, you may have large disk, so don’t worry to remove :slight_smile:
anything

add packman at the begining and go like this. You may need to get some
other repos from OBS, keep them to the minimum

If you don’t want to have problem, do not make updates if you don’t have
some time in front to fix things

for My Main, I prefer to use Leap, but install frequently TW on old 32
bits computers, some updates are tricky, for example Last Saturday one
didn’t like my compaq 512Mb ram computer… I hope yours is better

jdd

I have found that removing patterns during install won’t save any disk space <during the installation>…
All patterns(and packages) are configured to be installed by default <and then> if you’ve removing anything from the install, those will be uninstalled.

So,
My recommendation (and my SOP) is to install with all default patterns and packages. If I want to save a little bit of time and effort I <might> add packages and patterns during the install but it’s questionable whether it’s easier to simply do that extra installation <after> installation. Once installed, you can then uninstall anything you wish.

Note
That this is slightly different than installing with <online repositories> configured, with online repos the base image, patterns and packages are different so although what I described first is generally the case, some things like installing a Desktop which is not available with no online repos configured becomes possible.

HTH,
TSU

Thanks for replies…I guess my final question is just HOW brave am I for considering this as main desktop daily driver (TW) ???