Parts of body used

Sometimes I think what part of body was used to design software. And what part was used to select that software.

Look, for example, at “Maldives” login screen theme, and try to judge yourself. I am interested to see opinions.

The whole login information panel takes 1/5th of the screen. (The other 4/5th is an island, which is, probably, four times more important for login’s success.)

The font is quite small, comparable in size to the leaves of the trees on the island.

There is no user selection: user’s name must be entered from keyboard if it is not the previous user.

Common marking with mouse does not work.

There is no report about wrongly entered password.

Of the three choice buttons in the bottom, “Login” is the smallest, as if it is some rarely-taken path. (Already in the 14th century painters knew that more important figures shall be painted bigger.)

And does pressing Enter start logging in? Does the Tab key work?

Oh my.

Please, this is a technical help forum.

What is your technical problem/question?

When this is only to express your personal feelings about a piece of software, this thread will be moved to Soapbox.

Yes, please, move to there. I haven’t noticed Soapbox’s existence and don’t remember looking there. Issues of quality of login managers shall belong to soap subforums, not to technical subforums. Technical help forums shall help users deal with consequences.

CLOSED and will be moved.

Moved from Install/Boot/Login and open again.

If you don’t like the “maldives” theme then just use a different one, I’d say.
Either set it in /etc/sddm.conf or in KDE’s “Configure Desktop”->Startup and Shutdown->Login Screen (SDDM).

The default should be “Breeze” anyway on a KDE installation.

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:46:01 GMT
hcvv <hcvv@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
> hcvv;2743198 Wrote:
> > CLOSED and will be moved.
> Moved from Install/Boot/Login and open again.
>

Being only able to see the title of this moved thread leaves part of my
body - my brain - boggling more than somewhat. What parts of the body
are being used and for what? Is the content for adults only? Or is it
something to do with organ transplantation? I await clarification with
bated breath.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Kernel: 4.3.2; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (Driver: nouveau);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

For design.

Is the content for adults only?

No. Is for all opensuse users.

Or is it something to do with organ transplantation?

No. Only with usage.

What really boggles my mind is why on Earth you think it should be otherwise. Of course you should know and enter your own user id, since (in principle, anyway) there could be hundreds or thousands of user ids on a system - e.g. a networked workstation in a university computer lab.

I would like to enter my username with one or two mouse clicks, for example, like this:

• Grab the mouse.
  • First mouse click: dropdown menu opens.
  • Second mouse click: login name is selected and entered.
  • (Note: no keys of keyboard are pressed.)

Or like this:

• Grab the mouse.
  • Look at the screen, find username.
  • Click, which will select the user.

Even MS understands and implements this quick login. In fact, they have no-keyboard, one-click user selection. Very comfortable.

Maldives’s users, on a multi-user computer, don’t have the capability to easily select a new username. Keys have to be pressed.

Now, let me do some calculations. Let assume that there are 20000 Maldives (or similar) login screen users. Let us assume that 1/4 of them use multi-user computers with 2-30 users. Let us assume that each user enters his name once a day. An entry lasts on average 3 seconds, which includes some misspellings, corrections and repeat attempts. This gives, per year:

3s x 365 x 5000 = 1500 hours per year.

MS’s login, in part of username selection, is three times quicker.

Just think what great things the users could have done within those 1500 h * 2/3 = 126 workdays, if the Maldives’s programmers had spent a few workdays on design and thought of a better scheme, or at least have copied MS’s quicker login process.

I’m not understanding at all.

As freshly installed, the opensuse login screen allows you to click a user name. It doesn’t use the Maldives login screen theme.

It seems that you had to explicitly switch to a theme that you don’t like, and then complain about it. Weird.

Suppose a multi-user computer, with 1,000 different users. Hunting through a scroll list to find your login name would be tedious. Just typing it in would be simpler. Here, I’m thinking of a nearby medical center, where any of the medical staff can login to the computer in any room. And they use Windows, so I presume that there’s Windows option to do it by typing in a name – I doubt that they are scrolling through a long list.

What I find hard to understand is why use Linux at all. If MS is better, why doesn’t the op stick with it.

If it really bothers you, give yourself a short user id, for instance “me” (assuming it’s your machine). Now tell me that’s not easier than anything you can do with a mouse.

Even MS understands and implements this quick login. In fact, they have no-keyboard, one-click user selection. Very comfortable.

Well, there’s reason #27895 for why I don’t use use Windoze :slight_smile: And I honestly think most Linux users prefer the simple enter user id and password from the keyboard.

Maldives’s users, on a multi-user computer, don’t have the capability to easily select a new username. Keys have to be pressed…

Well, if you don’t like “Maldives” (whatever that is), don’t use it. This is Linux: unlike Windows, you can use anything from a basic X login up to the fanciest scrolling menus you want to implement. Or even (if it’s your machine) bypass the need for logging in altogether.