Packages not updated on openSUSE update

I’ve just upgraded to LEAP 15.3. When I run zypper update it tells me:

The following 30 package updates will NOT be installed: 
  ffmpeg-3 gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-lang libavcodec57 libavdevice57 libavfilter6 libavformat57 libavresample3 libavutil55 
  libgstadaptivedemux-1_0-0 libgstbadaudio-1_0-0 libgstbasecamerabinsrc-1_0-0 libgstcodecparsers-1_0-0 libgstmpegts-1_0-0 libgstphotography-1_0-0 
  libgsturidownloader-1_0-0 libgstwayland-1_0-0 libpostproc54 libsox3 libswresample2 libswscale4 libvlc5 libvlccore9 sox vlc vlc-codec-gstreamer 
  vlc-lang vlc-noX vlc-qt vlc-vdpau

I’m aware that gstreamer is not being updated for Tumbleweed but I thought LEAP was okay.

Where can I download these packages from? At least two of them, and maybe others, are essential to programs I run.

Those packages have “higher” version number but are from different vendor, likely from Packman. You need to explicitly switch vendor (if using YaST GUI) or simply install exact version using zypper.

I have a Packman repository so I would presumably get updates from there. Where would I find the vendor, specifically of gstreamer?

zypper search -s gstreamer

shows what is installed and what is available and repository for each package.

That gives me the repository the modules were installed from. I need to find out where I can get regular updates from. Maybe I should try googling.

Thanks for responding though.

How can I install gstreamer if I have the latest source from GitHub?

zypper up, yast or the update Applet will not change a installed package from one Repo to another.
The package will only be updated by a newer package from the Repo, the package belong.

So you get this Information of not installing when you use zypper up.
And as explained, this means a higher Version/Release is available in another Repo and you could switch to them by Hand.

But it is mostly not necessary.

How can I install gstreamer if I have the latest source from GitHub?

Why do you want it?

Also post:

zypper se -s ffmpe-3

so that we see those Information.

In this case it is probably necessary. Where would I find Repo containing a later release, which exists? Otherwise, how do I install it from its GitHub source?

In this case it is probably necessary. Where would I find Repo containing a later release, which exists? Otherwise, how do I install it from its GitHub source?

Why is it necessary?

And please post what I have written.

PS:

When you install from git, no yast, zypper, rpm will see what you install…
Its not a good idea for you.

sudo zypper se -s ffmpe-3 
[sudo] password for root:  
Loading repository data... 
Reading installed packages... 
No matching items found.

Can you explain why you want this?

Because I use a program regularly which uses gstreamer and it now refuses to load since I upgraded to LEAP 15.3. The version of gstreamer might not be the issue but I’d like to clear that up as a possibility before looking at other possibilities.

And please post what I have written.

Sorry, I missed that post. I’ve now replied to it.

PS:

When you install from git, no yast, zypper, rpm will see what you install…
Its not a good idea for you.

That’s what I thought. I couldn’t for the life of me see how this could work. But, all in all, the future looks bleak for me if I can’t use gstreamer.

Maybe installing newer gstreamer from this repo would help.

Because I use a program regularly which uses gstreamer

Which one?

Maybe there is a package for openSUSE in the OBS.

That could break Packman…

multimedia:libs and Packman is often no good decision.

Second Life. As far as I know it can only be downloaded in nay of its versions.

Though I have been told that it may be a driver problem. I seem to be stuck with a downloaded version of the nvidia driver from a while back and there was discussion on one of my threads that I should now replace it with the version from the repos. The problem the we thought might be down to that situation was resolved without me replacing it. But hHow would I do this? Even if it isn’t the cause of my current problem it looks like it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

It only gave me some additional gstreamer addons anyway. I’ve removed the repository now.

Turns out it wasn’t necessary. The problem was with my installation of an out of date graphics driver.

Thanks for replying though.