Output audio to Valve Index VR headset and Samsung TV simultaniously in Tumbleweed

A couple of years ago I posted about this audio issue I was having playing sound to my VR headset and TV at the same time. In Windows steamvr has a setting called “audio mirroring” which sends audio output to the VR headset and TV at the same time. I am trying to be able to do this on Linux.

I sort-of moved on with things, now I am revisiting this. I tried the solutions posted and actually learned a lot from the posts which I appreciate, but still cant get it to work.
I also found the instructions on this site, which I followed.

When I did it went through the motions, but I didn’t see my custom sound device listed in the KDE system settings but I have to admit I’m a bit confused on ALSA vs Pulseaudio, etc. I have a couple of patchbays installed and I understand how to change the audio outputs, but the issue seems to be that only one HDMI device shows up as available. I am using an Nvidia RTX 4080, I have a Samsung RU8000 TV connected via HDMI, a monitor, and the Valve Index VR Headset on Display-port connectors on the graphics card. The TV shows up on HDMI-2 in the audio control panel in KDE and the Valve Index audio device shows up as HDMI-3 in the same control panel.
The patchbays only see one HDMI device, usually the TV audio device on the NVIDIA HDMI audio controller, so I can only send audio to the one device only.
So its like I can choose one or the other but not both, however if I send audio to HDMI and my USB stereo headphones at the same time that seems to work just fine, so its just with multiple HDMI devices. Any help is appreciated…

Thanks.

Suddenly I believe I resolved this, I hadn’t thought about using the “Pro Audio” setting in the KDE sound control panel, once I enabled it all of the HDMI devices show up individually and I can use the patchbay to assign them, AMAZING!

Yep, confirmed working 100%… would be nice if there was an easier way, but it does work.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.