OS 11.4 network manager default connection can handle virtual interfaces?

Hello

I’ve not found how to configure more than one ip address with network manager.
Nor with kde nor with plasmoid network manager.
I need several virtual ip addresses for eth0 when the “default” of eth0 is connected
i.e. “Connected to Auto eth0” should initialize the virtual interfaces.
I have not found no even how to configure the ip address.
I think this will be used from ifup config in yast or not?
There I have the virtual interfaces but they are not taken from network manager.

And last but no least: Is it possible that when using network manager the eth0 is enabled
even no user has logged in?

Thanks a log for any clue

Beat

I’m not certain, but I doubt that it is possible if you use NetworkManager.

That is possible with NetworkManager in gnome (though I have not tried it). However, it is not possible with the KDE NetworkManager.

Best is to switch to “ifup” mode in Yast, and that should allow full configuration of eth0.

NetworkManager should start eth0, even when nobody is logged in. That works for me. Note that there is a NetworkManager daemon started at bootup. The KDE plasmoid communicates with that. But the wired interface should start without needing the plasmoid to be running.

I found some information on doing this here:

Quick HOWTO : Ch03 : Linux Networking - Linux Home Networking

**Multiple IP Addresses on a Single NIC **

In the previous section “Determining Your IP Address” you may have noticed that there were two wireless interfaces: wlan0 and wlan0:0. Interface wlan0:0 is actually a child interface wlan0, a virtual subinterface also known as an IP alias. IP aliasing is one of the most common ways of creating multiple IP addresses associated with a single NIC. Aliases have the name format parent-interface-name: X, where X is the sub-interface number of your choice.
The process for creating an IP alias is very similar to the steps outlined for the real interface in the previous section, “Changing Your IP Address”:

• First ensure the parent real interface exists
  • Verify that no other IP aliases with the same name exists with the name you plan to use. In this we want to create interface wlan0:0.
  • Create the virtual interface with the ifconfig command
[root@bigboy tmp]# ifconfig wlan0:0 192.168.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0 up  
  • You should also create a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0:0 file so that the aliases will all be managed automatically with the ifup and ifdown commands. Here is a sample configuration:
DEVICE=wlan0:0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.99
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

The commands to activate and deactivate the alias interface would therefore be:

[root@bigboy tmp]# ifup wlan0:0 
[root@bigboy tmp]# ifdown wlan0:0

Note: Shutting down the main interface also shuts down all its aliases too. Aliases can be shutdown independently of other interfaces.
After completing these four simple steps you should be able to ping the new IP alias from other servers on your network.

Thank You,

Thanks

Yes I know that with ifup it works fine and have this configured but I wanted to use network manager because I have always
to change configuration (ifup/network) with yast if I change my place for wireless or use a home made script to connect to wireless.
So there is still no other solution than modifying network scripts.

Greetings

Thanks

Yes I know that with ifup it works fine and have this configured but I wanted to use network manager because I have always
to change configuration (ifup/network) with yast if I change my place for wireless or use a home made script to connect to wireless.
So there is still no other solution than modifying network scripts.

Greetings
Well I have been unable to get Network Manager to accept a virtual Ethernet connection though I have not tried very hard until I read your message here. One can only hope if there is someone that knows how, they will make the solution known here. I will also suggest that bash scripting would be my choice in this matter as I see it. If you are having scripting issues, why not let us help?

Thank You,