Options for updating packages when using Tumbleweed

Hi I have Tumbleweed based on zypper dup from 11.4 openSUSE with standard KDE.

I puzzle about the options to upgrade packages. So I ran a few tests and got these options just now:

• KPackageKit presents 54 updates including packages from the Tumbleweed repo
  • Yast → Software → Online Update presents only 11 updates, all from the 11.4 update repo
  • Yast → software → software management presents 33 “newer” from Tumbleweed + 1 “newer” from TumbleweedPackman
  • zypper dup presents: 81 packages to upgrade, 4 to downgrade, 3 new, 36 to change vendor
  • zypper dup --from Tumbleweed presents: 47 packages to upgrade, 1 new, 13 to change vendor.
  • zypper dup --from Tumbleweed --from Packman_all_of_Tumbleweed presents 47 packages to upgrade, 1 new, 13 to change vendor.

Personally, I’d be inclined to not run KPackageKit but instead to do this:

• First run the 11.4 OnlineUpdate in Yast
  • Second run “zypper dup --from Tumbleweed”
  • Third run “zypper dup -D --from Packman_all_of_Tumbleweed” (notice the -D caution)

What do you guys think is best?

I did this, while the number of updates is relatively few:

1. Ran 11.4 OnlineUpdate in Yast (you get the patch descriptions that way)
  2. Yast>Software View>Repositories>select Tumbleweed>Package menu>All in This List>Update if newer version available>Accept
  3. Yast>Software View>Repositories>select Packman-tumbleweed>Package menu>All in This List>Update if newer version available>Accept

Or I would want to do it all with a single “zypper dup”.

Your method is same as mine as far as I can see. Good to get the confirmation.

The single zypper dup would be I suppose like “zypper dup --from Tumbleweed --from Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 --from Tumbleweed_All_of_Packman” so I’ll run that and see what happens.

Yast>Software View>Repositories>select Tumbleweed>Package menu>All in This List>Update if newer version available>Accept

I think this process is not the same as zypper dup. I think that zypper dup is closer to clicking “switch system packages to the versions in the repositories”, or is it necessary to do both to simulate zypper dup.

The single zypper dup would be I suppose like “zypper dup --from Tumbleweed --from Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 --from Tumbleweed_All_of_Packman” so I’ll run that and see what happens.

That’s quite dangerous and should not be used. The use of openSUSE 11.4 Updates needs caution when the Tumbleweed repos are in the mix.

Well, zypper dup and the Yast switcher will each change vendor, but I think the switcher goes further than zypper dup, in replacing packages when repos have the same priority. As was the case when I originally used zypper dup to get to Tumbleweed, and not all eligible packages got switched to tumbleweed versions. After that, I recall using the switcher on packman-tumbleweed to replace all installed mm packages, but not on the tumbleweed repo itself.

Spent some time today going through my zypp log to see what I actually did to reach Tumbleweed after an updrade to 11.4. I had executed a plain “zypper dup” with 11.4 openSUSE repos Oss, Non-oss, Update, and Packman-essentials for tumbleweed along with Tumbleweed repo. That resulted in a mixed set of installed multimedia packages which I corrected by use of the YaST package switcher to Packman-tumbleweed. This solved a problem of VLC not displaying videos correctly (blank picture).

I have now made the correction to an incomplete set of Tumbleweed sourced packages by using YaST package switcher on the Tumbleweed repo. So in answer to @swerdna’s comment:

I think that zypper dup is closer to clicking “switch system packages to the versions in the repositories”, or is it necessary to do both to simulate zypper dup.

It appears to me that clicking “switch system packages to the versions in this repository (…)” is equivalent to doing “zypper dup --from reponame”, and it doesn’t then require “Package menu>All in This List>Update if newer version available”. It just requires >Accept.

However, after switching all system packages to Tumbleweed repo, I did need to re-apply the YaST package switcher to Packman-tumbleweed as the “problem of VLC not displaying videos correctly” had returned. This was caused by several gstreamer packages from Tumbleweed having release levels greater than those from Packman-tumbleweed :(.

The single zypper dup would be I suppose like “zypper dup --from Tumbleweed --from Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0 --from Tumbleweed_All_of_Packman”

I would not include that “–from Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0”, as the zypper dup should be left to cherry-pick from that repo as appropriate to the installed 11.4-sourced packages.

I would not include that “–from Updates-for-openSUSE-11.4-11.4-0”, as the zypper dup should be left to cherry-pick from that repo as appropriate to the installed 11.4-sourced packages.

Yep, hence the warning I gave. I’m only going to dup with the Tumbleweed repo in future. I get too many conflicts otherwise. Your advice re cherry picking is IMO the perfect advice at this point in TW’s life.

I did need to re-apply the YaST package switcher to Packman-tumbleweed as the “problem of VLC not displaying videos correctly” had returned. This was caused by several gstreamer packages from Tumbleweed having release levels greater than those from Packman-tumbleweed

LOL my VLC went mute when I switched to TW but the video function is still fine, the reverse of yours.

Hmm… just flipped back to TW all of Packman, the gstreames switched, but VLC’s still mute.

VLC got sound back when I switched libtag-extras1 to TW (no idea why).

Well done. I have been doing my testing with an MPEG-4 video. My issue with VLC (sound but no pic) was almost certainly a codec problem, when “gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good” (or -plugin-hal) switched from Packman to Tumbleweed repo.

To concur with your fix, searching my zypp log tells me that libtag-extras1 was usually sourced from Oss repo on standard 11.3/11.4, but adding KDE 4.5.x on 11.3 sourced it from KDE_upstream repo. On my 11.4 +TW (plain zypper dup), it was sourced from Oss repo. Initially I may have had your problem, among other mm issues, fixed when I package-switched (YaST) all to Packman.