Optimus Technology Leap 42

Hello,

I have a laptop with an hybrid Intel+NVidia graphics cards and i really wanted to use only the Nvidia one. At certain times i get a lot of glitches in the my KDE session and i need to restart my session so they stop happening. I tried usisn openGL 3.1 but it’s the same and disabling some effects doesn’t work too.

I learned about Bumblebee and Primus and i used to make it work with an ubuntu distro by only installing the NVidia driver (the rest was automatic). Then everything worked well, but it’s different in Leap (or any other opensuse).

How can i make it work?

Thanks for the help.

Basically the same

either Primus or bumblebee can be used/

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

Ok, Thanks for the reply.
I’ll try to follow the instructions and see if it works ok.

Thanks

Hi, sorry for the delay,

So i got to this point where i get this message after typing the command:

optirun --status
If you see the message: "Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.

But when i try running optirun glxspheres i get this message:
392.152943] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver

392.152990] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

I made this step but it didn’t change the result:
“Try changing value of ‘load_state’ in “/etc/modprobe.d/50-bbswitch.conf” from 0 to -1
echo “options bbswitch load_state=-1 unload_state=1” > /etc/modprobe.d/50-bbswitch.conf”

From what i read i can only use the nvidia card when starting an application. It’s impossible to use it all the time like, always “ON”?

Thanks

You may want to try this

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/512260-Leap-42-1-Optimus-system-with-nvidia-prime-instead-of-bumblebee

Using primus you can run all the time from NVIDIA I believe though that would reduce battery life

Don’t know the problem you see but it is critical that you follow instructions exactly when dealing with optimus

After changing ‘/etc/modprobe.d/50-bbswitch.conf’ you will have to call ‘mkinitrd’ as root
and reboot in order to get these new kernel module options respected.
All bumblebee configuration will go wrong, if your graphics card is powered off by bbswitch
before bumblebee can get a grip on it at boot up process.

Should i do this after the previous process i did or should i revert to the snapshot i created before to do all new again?

Thanks

Don’t know I don’t have any optimus hardware. But you can always uninstall then follow the instruction in the thread