Optical Drive issue

Main Box 12.1 KDE _64

Problem: Take a new DVD-RW and burn .iso to it. DVD works fine. Format it in k3b, OK. But after
this the media is not being recognised. The optical drive is just cycling round and round.

Remove the media and place it in my laptop, also 12.1 KDE _64 and it’s seen fine. If I burn it
again on my laptop and place it in the Box, the Box now can see it.

Now, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue with the optical drive, mostly because I actually have 2
optical drives in the Box and both offer the same results. And it’s not k3b because just
recognising the media is nothing to do with k3b.

Ideas?

Problem: Take a new DVD-RW and burn .iso to it. DVD works fine. Format it in k3b, OK. But after
this the media is not being recognised. The optical drive is just cycling round and round.

Carl, does this happen with all DVD-RW media ie have you tried different brands?

Have you tried blanking the same media via CLI instead? Does it then fail to be detected in the same way?

deano ferrari wrote:

>
> Have you tried blanking the same media via CLI instead? Does it then
> fail to be detected in the same way?
>
>
Dean

I only have Verbatim brand

I did consider CLI, I’ll have a look and report back later.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if blanking via dd

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sr0

will cause issues, vs cdrecord behaviour (which k3b uses?)

cdrecord -scanbus
cdrecord --dev=x,y,z --blank=fast

Just a thought…there is a long discussion in this Ubuntu bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/581925/+index?comments=all

concerning the detection of media status. Maybe the issue still exists, or there has been a regression.

New DVD-RW discs are in sequential mode. I’m assuming that k3b, then formats the media in restricted overwrite format, and maybe that then (indirectly) causes the detection problem.

This pdf reference explains the different DVD-RW statuses for those that may not be familiar (including myself):

ftp://ftp.avc-pioneer.com/Mtfuji_3/Proposal/July/DashRW.pdf

Could this be the issue you’re experiencing?

deano ferrari wrote:

> Just a thought…there is a long discussion in this Ubuntu bug report
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7uncskm

Hey thank you

I’ll look a little more at this early AM, when I have the machine to myself

Thanks Dean.

Since you have two, does the other one works with a liveCD (or boot from a pendrive, so you can test both at one time)?

If so, I’d try disconnecting both drives, boot the system (so it sees there are no optical drives), shut down, reconnect one of the drives in the other’s SATA or IDE port, boot again and see if it is working, then switch drive/port, test again.

Just an idea.