openSUSE KDE and Discover

Hi everyone. I have several slowroll and Leap installations with KDE. KDE is the DE of choice for my needs. I have a laptop with dual-boot Slowroll and Leap 15.6 as well as Virtualbox VMs almost all with KDE. I noticed that Discover always remains open when idle. I use Discover rarely: once a week just to check for firmware updates…I also use Discover to search for flatpaks. How can I disable Discover’s automatic startup?
Thanks in advance.
Mauro

What do you mean with that? The update notifier? When the update notifier shows up, simply right click on it and change the settings to show up never…

Hi @hui
Thanks for your reply. I regularly close the Discover notifier but it always activates automatically when I restart. I have the option to avoid automatic startup. Thanks again

Try this: in System Settings, go to Software Update and set notification frequency to never.

Hi @Whyhow unfortunately it doesn’t work. Thanks anyway.

On Tumbleweed/Slowroll simply uninstall the discover6-notifier.
On Leap discover-notifier.

2 Likes

I have no idea what you mean. Open where? What means “idle”? Show screenshot and mark where is the idle open Discover.

Hi @hui Thanks so much hui. Resolved

Hi @arvidjaar I use old hardware that only has 4GB of RAM available. I have the laptop with dual-boot Leap 15.6 and Slowroll both with KDE desktop. During installation I block both KDE-PIM and Kalendarac which consume a lot of RAM. With Plasma6 I found that the Discover notification consumes, already in idle, from 170 to 295mb of ram. I simply found it listed in the KDE system monitor. Since I don’t need it, I have unnecessary RAM consumption…

It does not answer my question. I still have no idea what exactly you call “Discover notification”. “Notification” is a transient event, not something long running. And it was “idle Discover” before, now it is suddenly “Discover notification”.

OMG. Instead of long unclear stories how difficult is it to copy and paste the command output?

Assuming you are talking about the process DiscoverNotifier - copy /etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.discover.notifier.desktop to the ~/.config/autostart directory and add Hidden=true line.

@arvidjaar Hi. Thank you. Following hui’s suggestion I uninstalled the package. As I have said in other posts, I am inexperienced. I don’t venture into changes that I don’t understand. I try to only edit things that I know and understand.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.