I want to ask all of you this: “why is openSUSE Education a good and better
choice than Windows in a K-12 school”, “what special features does it contain”,
“capibilities” ???

Please answer swiftly,

LM761

Hi
Maybe a read here may help?
<http://en.opensuse.org/Education&gt;

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
up 22:03, 1 user, load average: 0.75, 0.46, 0.28
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Yeah, I mean like what programs, services, specifically.

LinuxMonster761 adjusted his/her AFDB on Tuesday 12 May 2009 00:26 to write:

>
> Dear all,
>
> I want to ask all of you this: “why is openSUSE Education a good and
> better
> choice than Windows in a K-12 school”,

What is a K-12 school?

> “what special features does it
> contain”,

What dies widows contain so we can compare?

> “capibilities” ???

What are you after?

>
> Please answer swiftly,
>

yes please do so we can help.

Also I think this might be better in the application group, this one is for
problems in the boot and install process.

HTH, HAND.

:wink:

Mark

Nullus in verba
Nil illigitimi carborundum

Kindergarten through 8th grade I mean, not K-12

Mavis Beacon, educational services such as School Master

Speed, server, network?

it provides almost everything you may need, it provie also server patterns that allow you to understand easly what kind of software you may want to use, we are also working to improve kiwi-ltsp and OpenSchoolServer

Education/Applications/Server - openSUSE

I’m trying to run this in virtualbox and I can’t get past the login/password screen. The documentation is pitiful. I’m trying to get this adopted locally, but I can’t even start it myself.

Prexy wrote:
> I’m trying to run this in virtualbox and I can’t get past the
> login/password screen. The documentation is pitiful. I’m trying to get
> this adopted locally, but I can’t even start it myself.

i’m gonna assume the “this” (in your note above) that you are trying
to run in a VM has something to do with the “openSUSE in schools and
educational project”, if that is correct then YOU are in the wrong
forum and wrong thread…so, go to http://www.opensuse-education.org/
and look for the link to THEIR forum…but, let me suggest before you
post over there read this:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

or else you will probably alienate them with a similar VENTING of
frustration rather than a kindly plea for assistance…

on the other hand, if you are NOT trying to run an “openSUSE Education
project” then exacly what does your “this” refer to, and what
documentation is pitiful? the documentation for “this” or for the VM?
which VM?

you can’t get WHAT started? how much experience do you have with WHAT?
have you ever had success with WHAT? where is the primary source of
documentation for WHAT? have you had good success with other WHATs in
this VM?

are you asking for help or just wanting to vent?

see, venting should be done in soapbox and help requests should have
at least ONE question therein…and, imo neither should just be added
on to an existing thread…in the wrong community forum…

ymmv

somebody_else

hmmm… the implied question “What are the username and password?” probably should have been asked explicitly. I am not trying to run the server version of the suse education edition, but I found a hint in a server thread.

Normally, when you run a live CD the user/password is “linux” for both. In this case, it turns out that users are “linux1, linux2 etc.” So, I tried that combo and it worked. With a little luck, I may be able to add 40,000 users to suse.

By the way, using ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING. Thanks for your help.

> With a little luck, I may be able to add 40,000 users to suse.

that would be nice…

> By the way, using ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING.

i know…sorry, i wasn’t shouting…really…it is a bad habit picked
up a long time ago while using manual typewriters (that didn’t have
bold, etc)…back then it wasn’t shouting, just emphasis…

somebody_else

There is a little crack in the wall of windows for schools in my county. The unit that helps all the school districts has some FOSS enthusiasts, including upper level people. But the districts have millions and millions invested in Microsoft. Breaking that habit will be hard. In my district, it was estimated that switching to OpenOffice could save $100,000 in licensing. In hard economic times, that sounds good. I’m trying to get them to experiment with about 30 laptops. If we could use old, ready to recycle, units from 4 years ago, it would be an incentive by itself.

Every time I give the IT guys something to try and it fails, I get “See? linux won’t work!” Wireless is the biggest complaint. They do like Xen, and one guy is enjoying Ubuntu. I call him a traitor (after all I did to hook him up with suse.) I think KIWI-LTSP would be a very good management tool with so many pc’s to maintain. Of course, without windows, they would need less maintenance. :wink:

This education version of suse has a nice selection of software, for all levels. Still, the problem will be the dozens and dozens of apps they use that are windows specific. This is now working nicely as a vm. I think I’ll burn them a live CD.

Hi

Well - for me it’s not a question why openSUSE-Education is a better choice than Windows. The question for me is: “Why is Open Source a better choice than Closed Source?”

Think about the legend of GNU and they already give a good explanation “why free” is better. For me, schools should empower their students to “look behind” the things and understand the reason why something goes the way it goes. A computer and his OS is just one part of the big story - but as it should be used as kind of a schoolbook or other learning tool, it could also be of interest how it works at all.

Example:
Think about Winuser. Winuser is called a “Guru” because he knows how to install his Windoof and all applications in the “right” order, so everything works as he expects it. He needs hours and hours to find out the “right” way to install a new driver or a new application on his machine without breaking other applications. All he’s doing is “try and error”. He doesn’t know why something doesn’t work - he just knows that something doesn’t work if he installs application/driver “b” befor driver “a”. If you place Winuser in front of a Linux-PC, he might get the idea to look in Logfiles instead of installing everything from scratch again and again.

Now think about Linuser. Linuser is called a “Guru” because he knows where the logfile is located and how to start gdb or strace to debug a problem. He needs hours and hours to find a way to get an application/driver working and preparing/sending a patch to the upstream author. He knows why something doesn’t work - and he shares his knowledge with others (even if it’s just by providing patches). If you place Linuser in front of a Windows-PC, he might starts to “migrate” from closed source software with no chance to debug a problem to open source software - where he can look into the code and fix it…

Now think about Manageruser. He has to decide which Guru he wants for a job…

I hope you find this example useful.

With kind regards,
Lars

PS: Have a look at Education/Live - openSUSE for details about or Live-Media