openSUSE 13.2 RC1

Are those older IDE disks? If they are, then there are jumpers on each drive that may have to be set so that there is no hardware conflict between the two drives. Getting that wrong could lead to the kind of problem that you describe.

No. First enable in Bios (and did an a BIOS update) and the use the 2:bios (?)set the SATA HD’s as a raid0.

Read the manual for the motherboard later and if using port 5+6 for raid drivers has to supplemented to the os. I was using port 1+2.

If I have reported as a bug? No. I’m not sure if it the HW or openSUSE 13.2RC1 or me.

It can also be by me. It is a lot of parameters to concern, set up raid0, chose boot and installation method, FS…

I hope that I dont give the impression of that 13.2 is problematic. As mentioned before it is a large step forward :).

regards

Uh-ho. I thought I was rid of the problem with Digikam 4.3.0 build 17 sept. I did a zypper dup last week and it got installed again with the same problems as ( https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/501064-digikam-4-3-0 ) on both my main DE and my laptop with 13.2RC1. No additional repos except for packman factory.

..digikam(3391)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/****/*/vol2/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3391)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
KCrash: Application 'digikam' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/*****/.kde4/socket-jodotpc/kdeinit4__0
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 15 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 18 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 21 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 71 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 78 and type 'Read', disabling...
digikam: Fatal IO error: client killed

(digikam:3391): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gstsystemclock: write control failed in wakeup_async: 9:Bad file descriptor

I reported it as a bug for 13.2RC1 http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902712

For my problem with stripe I manage after have test with different settings (chose ext4) and not boot up on UEFI for the installation the installation goes throw and it’s rebooting but stops to do diskcheck but time out after ca 15min. I get a feeling that it is a HW-problem with one of the disks Maybe. Never mind and not so important right now.

regards

As I wrote in the bug report, the fixes have been added on Sept 24th, and didn’t make it to Factory in time for 13.2 RC1.
But they will be in 13.2 GM.

For now, you could install the package from [noparse]KDE:Extra[/noparse] for Factory I suppose.
Or wait three days until the final 13.2 version is in the repo (at least I think it will be in there then, slips/delays can always happen of course).

Ok, I have updated whit a comment on bugzilla:

Ok. I 'm satisfied with the answer.

About dates and versions I hope that final 13.2 will include the newer version but can understand if it not does (=low prio).

I will ring the bell again then.

Dont worry for me, I will find a way, I allready installed digikam-4.2.0-2.1.2.x86_64.rpm from factory that I saved a while ago in connection the problem in 13.1.

I guess there is a lot of people that are sitting at home and waiting for final by now. I feel a little ~uncomfortebale to report/file bugreport this late but on the orther hand…

Thanks for the answer(s) :wink: .

regards

You’re welcome.

Another note: As I just noticed, the [noparse]KDE:Extra[/noparse] repo is available for 13.2 already, and contains digikam 4.4.0 (which includes the fixes of course).
I wrote that in the bug report already as well, but maybe other people might read this here too.

Hi, tested to add:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_13.2/

By YaST2/software/repos/add community/“KDE:Extra”. Went ok. Run a zypper dup (this is more of a testing then) and recived Digikam 4.4.0 amoung a lot of other packages.

zypper lr
#  | Alias                         | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | Packman_factory               | Packman factory                    | Yes     | Yes    
 2 | download.opensuse.org-Extra   | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra  | Yes     | Yes    
 3 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla    | Yes     | Yes    
 4 | google-chrome                 | google-chrome                      | Yes     | Yes    
 5 | openSUSE-13.2-0               | openSUSE-13.2-0                    | No      | Yes    
 6 | repo-debug                    | openSUSE-13.2-Debug                | No      | Yes    
 7 | repo-debug-update             | openSUSE-13.2-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
 8 | repo-debug-update-non-oss     | openSUSE-13.2-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No      | Yes    
 9 | repo-non-oss                  | openSUSE-13.2-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
10 | repo-oss                      | openSUSE-13.2-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
11 | repo-source                   | openSUSE-13.2-Source               | No      | Yes    
12 | repo-update                   | openSUSE-13.2-Update               | Yes     | Yes    
13 | repo-update-non-oss           | openSUSE-13.2-Update-Non-Oss       | Yes     | Yes    

-first start:

digikam
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QString)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QString)
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 71 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 74 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 72 and type 'Read', disabling...

(digikam:1729): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gstsystemclock: write control failed in wakeup_async: 9:Bad file descriptor

[1]+  Stopped                 digikam

-2 try:

digikam
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QString)
digikam(1848)/digikam (core): Cannot open embedded profile 

-3rd:

digikam
Fatal Error: Accessed global static 'FileReadWriteLockStaticPrivate *static_d()' after destruction. Defined at /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/digikam-4.4.0/core/libs/threadimageio/filereadwritelock.cpp:385
Unable to start Dr. Konqi

I mean people can do intresting thing like waching TV during evnings ;). And lol at my self. Well maybe i should only have tested to pick Digikam 4.4.0

regards

Hm, digikam 4.4.0 from KDE:Extra starts fine here on my 13.1 system.

Well, the problem might be that KDE:Extra is already built against 13.2 final, but you still have 13.2 RC1.

A “zypper dup” is not the best idea most of the time, but I don’t think it should cause a problem with your repos.

I will try on my Factory (which is nearly 13.2 RC1 :wink: ) installation shortly to see whether there’s a general problem.

Well, 4.4.0 (the version for 13.2) started fine there as well.

Can you try on a fresh user account?

Maybe run “zypper dup --from 2” to make sure you have all related packages from KDE:Extra. A simple “zypper dup” might not show you conflicts, but just installs a version from a different repo instead if possible.

And please post the output of “zypper lr -d”. Maybe some repo is for a different openSUSE version. That could especially cause problems when running “zypper dup”.
Although I doubt that that’s the reason judging from the output you posted.

Well, 4.4.0 (the version for 13.2) started fine there as well.

Can you try on a fresh user account?

Maybe run “zypper dup --from 2” to make sure you have all related packages from KDE:Extra. A simple “zypper dup” might not show you conflicts, but just installs a version from a different repo instead if possible.

And please post the output of “zypper lr -d”. Maybe some repo is for a different openSUSE version. That could especially cause problems when running “zypper dup”.
Although I doubt that that’s the reason judging from the output you posted.

Hi again wolfi323!

Lets see, If I take up to much time now please let me know. I you feel that I should write in the bug reported in shorter ver let me know.

Down to buisness:

-tested to create a new user (the famous Herr/Mr test) on my DE. It was working better beacuse digikam 4.4.0 -27.1 started and dident crached before reatch the 2 directorys I have problems with. I uninstalled digikam and installed it again. Same results.

-earlyer today I tested in my Laptop to add KDE:EXTRA repo by YaST2 and it was running trow a zypper dup and I started digikam 4.4.0 -27.1 whitout any problems untill… Reatch the 2 directorys I have problems with. The same old problem. My laptop is a upgrade from 13.1 using build 0019 DVD. An example is:

digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Sydafrika 2009-2010/SydAfrica2009/Evelyn bilder 1/101msdcf/mov00001.mpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Sydafrika 2009-2010/SydAfrica2009/våra foton/Micki bilder/mov01721.mpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Sydafrika 2009-2010/SydAfrica2009/våra foton/jodo/mov01721.mpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Tecknat/mov00831.mpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 32.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 33.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 35.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 43.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/julkort/Julkort08.xcf: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(5816)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/unsorted1/MOV01980.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
sock_file=/home/test/.kde4/socket-*****pc/kdeinit4__1

[1]+  Stopped                 digikam
test@*****pc:~> QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 20 and type 'Read', disabling...

^C
[1]+  Exit 253                digikam

digikam(6507)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 32.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(6507)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 32.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
sock_file=/home/test/.kde4/socket-*****pc/kdeinit4__1
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 74 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 77 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 75 and type 'Read', disabling...

(digikam:6507): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gstsystemclock: write control failed in wakeup_async: 9:Bad file descriptor

The sick thing is when I’m using Digikam 4.2.0 its work a-ok at my end, ex:

digikam(2324)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG" 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG" 

digikam(2324)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 32.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 32.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 32.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 33.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 33.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 33.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 35.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 35.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 35.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 43.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 43.jpg" 
digikam(2324)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/Pictures/My Pictures/Word-around -89/Florida Orlando Disney Word 43.jpg" 

-and its not crashing.

Please let me know If I could help some more on my current sets. I can do a fresh intstall on my DE Friday after work and test some more. Hell I have re-installed it at least 7 times the lates 10 days for testing and as long my laptop is up and running… :wink:

regards

That would seem like the fixes for your problem that were added to 4.3.0 are missing in 4.4.0.
I will take a look tomorrow, but if that’s the case, the upstream developers screwed something up it seems.

I would suggest to stick to 4.2.0 for now, when 13.2 is GM (according to plan on Thursday) it should have 4.3.0 with those fixes so it should work.

I had a look at it now already, and those patched are in fact part of 4.4.0.

After re-reading the upstream bugreport 339144 – digiKam crashes in MetaEngine (it’s been a while, I didn’t remember all the details), I can say the following:

• this was no bug in digikam, the bug was in libkexiv2
  • digikam 4.3.0 added a new preview function that triggered that bug and made digikam crash (with certain files)
  • this has been fixed in libkexiv2, but of course the bug was still in the then latest released version 4.14.1, so it didn’t help with digikam
  • therefore a version check was added to digikam that disabled the preview function if libkexiv2<=4.14.1 is in use, to prevent the crash. That version check is the “fix” that got added to openSUSE’s digikam 4.3.0 packages and didn’t make it into 13.2 RC1 but should be in final.
  • the bug should be fixed in libkexiv2 4.14.2 (that got released on Oct. 14th), which also will be part of 13.2 final

With 13.2 RC1, you still have the “buggy” libkexiv2-4.14.1 installed. Actually digikam 4.4.0 should then disable the preview function and not crash. I have no idea what went wrong there.
But 13.2 final will contain both digikam 4.3.0 with the version check, and the (hopefully) fixed libkexiv2-4.14.2 (and the whole KDE 4.14.2 actually).
So there really should not be a problem in 13.2 final, neither with the included digikam 4.3.0 nor with 4.4.0 from [noparse]KDE:Extra[/noparse]. If there is, then either the fix in libkexiv2 doesn’t work, or your problem is not the same as got fixed (but the crash got prevented as well by disabling the preview function).
If that’s the case, I would suggest to report the crash upstream at http://bugs.kde.org/. Reopening the openSUSE bug report would be a good idea as well with a pointer to the upstream bugreport, so an update could be released when this would be really fixed.
But please, wait until 13.2 GM is in the repo (i.e. when you have KDE updated to 4.14.2) and try again then before reporting it.

Digikam 4.2.0 works of course fine because it didn’t have that preview function yet and therefore doesn’t trigger that crash.

Btw, comment#43 in the bug report also mentions a crash with 4.4.0, whereas comment#47 would confirm that the issue is fixed.
So maybe there is indeed another bug left, triggered by something else.

D’Oh!
Just after submitting my previous post, it became obvious to me what went wrong:
The digikam package in [noparse]KDE:Extra[/noparse] is already built against KDE/libkexiv2 4.12.2, which is actually part of 13.2 already but just not published yet.
So the preview function got enabled, because when building digikam the fixed libkexiv2 4.14.2 was detected.
But you still have the older 4.14.1, and so digikam crashes again.

Therefore I’m really absolutely sure now that the problem will be fixed for you in 13.2 GM (with KDE 4.14.2).

I didn’t think of that when suggesting the version from [noparse]KDE:Extra[/noparse], sorry.

Hmm… And yes the openSUSE forum is ~gold worth. Get answers pretty quick. Have almost finnish my slideshow ( in libreoffice) for the border presentation today 10.00. Pilot migration will be today (not OS) Includes some of opensource and on the way. All done by a 2007 Laptop running now 13.2(RC1)and some constructive thinking.

regards

The “lock screen” in Gnome 3.14.0 does not ask for a password on resume, so it does just shade the screen, not lock it.
I understand from Gnome upstream that now the “lock screen” password may be different from the login password (e.g. a PIN), but I don’t find a way to set it in OpenSuSE 13.2RC1.

Just a nuisance if you’re not 007, but am I missing something?

The “lock screen” in Gnome 3.14.0 does not ask for a password on resume, so it does just shade the screen, not lock it.
I understand from Gnome upstream that now the “lock screen” password may be different from the login password (e.g. a PIN), but I don’t find a way to set it in OpenSuSE 13.2RC1.

Just a nuisance if you’re not 007, but am I missing something?

Edit:

Resuming from long “suspend to ram” (maybe after 1h) “lock screen” asks for password, and login password works.
Not reproducible though (at least so far…)
Just locking by Super+L, Gnome button or automatically on timeout, or even on a “short” suspend-to-RAM doesn’t ask for pw on resume.

No help really needed here, posting just in case someone were interested.

This is bug
900836 – VUL-0: GNOME: lock screen unlocks without password if fprintd is installed

I have had an issue with my Lenovo R61 that ran Debian just fine, but when I reinstalled it with openSUSE 13.1 and then zupper dup’d it to 13.2RC1, X seems to freeze if it is left idle for too long (a few hours or overnight). This machine uses the intel X server and the i915 kernel module. No combination of desktop environment or kernel/boot options or X options (or even screensaver) seems to make a difference. The memory on the machine is fine (I did run memtest86 the other day), so I am going to change the systemd default target to multi-user (so, no X) and leave it until I get back from a work trip on Wednesday just to make sure it isn’t something else.

I wanted to try another X server, but setting the driver to vesa wasn’t working.

I am curious if anyone else has had a similar issue with Intel laptop graphics.

Yes, my laptop (Intel graphics) freezes from time to time.

The freeze is usually when the screen brightness changes, often when it returns to full brightness when you hit a key or move the mouse.

I use KDE. Fortunately, I can now configure the power settings to never dim the screen. With that setting, freeze is rare.

Note that completely blanking the screen (power saving) is not a problem. It is only the brightness changes.

(added note: I don’t have 13.2 on my laptop yet).

On Fri 31 Oct 2014 10:26:02 PM CDT, nrickert wrote:

bigbenaugust;2672109 Wrote:
> I am curious if anyone else has had a similar issue with Intel laptop
> graphics.

Yes, my laptop (Intel graphics) freezes from time to time.

The freeze is usually when the screen brightness changes, often when it
returns to full brightness when you hit a key or move the mouse.

I use KDE. Fortunately, I can now configure the power settings to never
dim the screen. With that setting, freeze is rare.

Note that completely blanking the screen (power saving) is not a
problem. It is only the brightness changes.

Hi
Don’t see that with my Intel/GNOME setup. Now I do run some additional
i915 boot options;

For 13.2 I add;

i915.enable_rc6=7 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1

For earlier kernel versions it’s;

i915.i915_enable_rc6=7 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1

It’s based on this blog from the openSUSE Board Chairperson
https://sysrich.co.uk/?p=190

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!