OPensuse 13.2 milestone 0 initial problems

Hi there
found problems

1. Setup – first boot during setup (final config) – asks again for a user – just enter a dummy user or it will keep asking again and again.

2. after boot cannot add PACMAN (or other) repositories so can’t effectively add any software such as VLC (multi-media playing) or anything not in the 13.2 repos. OK that’s to be expected but some stuff from packman 13.1 should still work – makes testing base software very difficult.

3. GRUB2 boot loader options to install to external disk now a bit more difficult to find - it’s on a TAB instead of a button option - no big deal but be aware.

What IS installed with base system seems though to work fine – XFS file system for /HOME and BTRFS for / are default and seem to work OK.

System isn’t really configurable enough yet for proper testing – KDE works OK but that’s just about all you can do currently. Without the PACMAN repo I can’t test a lot of what I’m currentl running on my daily use system (13.1).

Again the UEFI model can’t write boot loader (GRUB2-EFI) to external HDD. The non UEFI model (GRUB2) works OK even on UEFI system.

Hre is the packman repo for opensuse factory

Hi

Please be aware that as today (04-OCT-2014) if you use 13.2 beta 1 with the Packman factory repo KDE will crash to start. The only solution that I found was to remove the full packman repo and go back to opensuse repositories for all the installed packages.

The error was a segfault for command kcminit, this is surely one broken library provided by the factory repo. I have no debug installation installed so I can’t see further information

I can pretty much guess what happened.

There was a major update to factory over the last few days. The 20140928 update replaced almost everything. Then the 20141001 update move Gnome to 3.14.0.

Packman (factory) has been updated to match. So now it is a mismatch with what was in 13.2 Beta1.

My factory install is doing fine.

My 13.2-Beta1 install is also fine, but I never added packman-factory to that.

Presumably 13.2-RC1 will fix all of that, by updating 13.2 to about what is in factory (now, or at the time of the RC1 release). And then packman-factory will work with it again (until the next time that it breaks)

I’m inclined to say that you should not add the factory packman repo to beta releases. The beta release is for testing. If you really want to test what is in packman, it would be better to install factory, instead of the beta.

For myself, I consider my installed factory system (on which I am typing this reply) to be my test of installed software. When I installed Beta1, I was mainly testing the installer.

I guess my attitude is that a beta release is good at the time of release, but is not maintained until the next release. Once RC1 is released, a “zypper dup” should update it to that level, though I’ll probably download the DVD and do a fresh install (to test the installer). I won’t add packman to 13.2 Beta (or 13.2 RC) unless there is a packman-13.2.

nrickert wrote:

> I guess my attitude is that a beta release is good at the time of
> release, but is not maintained until the next release. Once RC1 is
> released, a “zypper dup” should update it to that level, though I’ll
> probably download the DVD and do a fresh install (to test the
> installer). I won’t add packman to 13.2 Beta (or 13.2 RC) unless there
> is a packman-13.2.
>

A hearty second to that! So far, about the only real issues I’ve had with
13.2 come during installation - especially with network setup, and certainly
when the installation encounters multiple network hardware like wired
ethernet with an additional wireless device. Every attempt so far has taken
a substantial amount of manual effort after the installation completes to
get internet access usable. AH!, the joys of testing :wink:

Will Honea

Even though these are the defaults… can we use ext4?? I am doing some Android development and I am under the understanding that it doesn’t work correctly with BTRFS. And I heavily use VMware and I believe it also has a problem with it, BTRFS. I could not get openSuSE 13.1 to work properly on my machine. openSuSE 12.3 works just fine and I was hoping changes in 13.2 would allow me to update. -BUT- if that is not possible I will just stick with 12.3.

Thanks for all your efforts over these years,
Chuck

I had the same problem yesterday afternoon after added packman repo. I didn’t try to fix it but are waiting for some more updates before I try again.

regards

I’m inclined to say that you should not add the factory packman repo to beta releases.

I pretty much agree with that.

My plans are to continue with 13.2 beta 1 in this laptop (I can’t really use 13.1 due to intel VGA driver issues) and wait until Packman releases an official repo for 13.2

In the meantime Factory was removed and I have no plans to add It again.

If any repo changes from beta to final version, I will change, re sync everything again and stay with 13.2 Final

As for now, bug that I see, bug that I report :slight_smile:

Yes but you must select it BTRFS is now the default FS but you can select any other supported FS for any partition

Thank you. Haven’t been on here much in the past year. Been trying to use what I learned here on my Smartphone aspirations. I’m going to wait for the November release before I make any tries at this newest version. When it is released I know that nVidia will have drivers for it and besides I’m still working on my phone.

As you can see in my signature, I have an “older” system. I received it Jan 25th, 2007 just 5 days “before” Vista was released!! I got Windows XP Media Center with TV -but- I immediately installed my SuSE and most of the time I am there.

Thanks again to all for your continued efforts,
Chuck