Opensuse 13.1 installation - Dual OS - Installation with UEFI and Legacy

I have been using SuSE 11.4 (32) for a long time.
Now i upgraded my machine to.
Intel i7 4790K
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK mother board
MSI GTX460 Graphics card
8GB RAM
1TB + 500GB + 360GB + 80GB HDD (4 Hard disk). I was using 3 HDD with 11.4. Now as part of upgradation i bought new 1 TB HDD

1. I Installed windows 7(64) on to first partition.
  2. Created one more partion for windows
  3. In bios UEFI is enabled
  4. I created one SuSE 13.2 Live USB and also DVD
  5. Inserted DVD … priliminary step went fine up to disk partition
  6. It shown a default partition setup as
    Delete all windows partition
    Set disk label to GPT
    Create boot volumn /dev/sda1 with vfat (for /boot/efi)
  7. I seleted expert partition
  8. Created my own partition
  9. When i clicked next it is shown as do not have a partion for /boot/efi
  10. I created a partition for /boot/efi with vfat
  11. Still error with no GPT label
  12. I neglect the message and continued installation and finally SuSE13.1 installed with success.
  13. When i reboot i cannot see my windows OS selection(Only SuSE)
  14. Then i started to install it again.
  15. In bios i changed UEFI and legacy
  16. Now installation hanged it at Starting udev…

Also started with live usb installation , but graphics failed to load

How it can be fixed … please help me

You need to decide whether you are using UEFI booting or traditional MBR booting.

It seems that your disk was partitioned for MBR booting. So that almost certainly means that Windows 7 was also installed for MBR booting.

Option 1: Reinstall Windows for UEFI booting. As part of this install, the disk will be repartitioned with GPT partitioning. Then install opensuse and you should not run into those problems.

Option 2: Boot the opensuse install media in MBR mode instead of UEFI mode. That should be possible, but perhaps it is easier if you disable UEFI in the BIOS before you boot the install media. Then it should stop insisting that the disk needs to change to GPT.

From your description, “option 2” looks like the easier way.

Nrickert I disabled UEFI in the BIOS and when it started booting from the disk , the installation hangs at Starting udev… i waited at the most 1 HR and nothing happened …

If you mixed mode ie one OS installed MBR and another installed EFI it can raise all sorts of trouble depending on the BIOS feature and support.

If you booted the install disk as EFI it will tend to want to install as EFI if you just take the defaults. And if the disk is set up as MBR it can cause no end of problems. I personally recommenced wiping it all, also zeroing out the first and last track and start from scratch. A drive with both a GPT and MBR partition table can mess up lots of things.Either install both MBR or both EFI but mixing them means you are sailing near the edge of the world, you don’t know if you will fall over the edge or not.

I don’t know what happened there.

Some users have reported that it waits for a non-existent floppy drive. There might be a BIOS setting for this.

You can try a different alternative. Leave the UEFI configured in BIOS.

When installing:

(1) Do not mount anything for “/boot/efi”. Ignore warnings.
(2) Click on the booting section of install. Tell the system to use “grub2” (and that is not “grub2-efi”). Again, ignore warnings.

That should install opensuse for MBR style booting.

The problem with UEFI booting is that you appear to have Windows doing MBR booting. If you install opensuse for UEFI booting, then it will not be able to boot Windows from the grub2 menu. If you install opensuse for MBR booting, then it will be able to boot Windows.

Windows 7 is in MBR.
I used GRUB2 (By ignoring all warning) , but the boot loader could not identify the windows 7 . Only SuSE can be seen. Windows 7 and SuSE13.1 i successfully installed in my old laptop in the first try. Its been 3-4 times i formatted my desktop harddisk for installing SuSE13.1.(Im remembering my old days when i first started installing SuSE10.2 with win xp…that old IDE has gone after i studied installing linux).

Any way i installed SuSE12.2 successfully with GRUB2 on the frist try.(without any headache).

What will happen if i try to update my SuSE 12.2 to SuSE13.1 … Will it still ask for EFI boot partition? If you are sure it will go for GRUB2 then im ready to update…:slight_smile:

In that case, you should be able to add a “chainload” line to “/etc/grub.d/40_custom”. I can check my Win7 system to get the details, if you need that (it’s powered off at the moment).

Check the output of “os-prober” to see if it finds Windows.

Upgrading from 12.2 probably won’t help, because you will get the same “os-prober”.

Actually this is a server machine , that is why after 11.4 i didn’t upgrade to any other version. Since i need to upgraded the hardware …i thought of upgrading the os also… I will try to add the chainloader in the new laptop and will let you know.