I write and write, but things change,

on laptop msi ge620 dx:
intel i5
nvidia gt
optimus laptop

the distribution managed to poison my optimus installation:

• the bumblebee checkbox under user rights was disabled
  • by typing “/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2” the output was like this

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:108d]
Kernel driver in use: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] [10de:124d] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. GeForce GT 555M [1462:108d]
Kernel driver in use: fbnvidia nouveau

• nouveau was practically embedded, may be in an extreme effort to make things run at least under nouveau.

well, it was extremely difficult to disable the hardcoded nouveau, but finally I get:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] [10de:124d] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. GeForce GT 555M [1462:108d]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

but now:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun
1823.987653] [ERROR]Missing argument: application to run
Try `optirun --help’ for more information.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxinfo
1863.492230] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the

1863.492282] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

###################################

any idea? where to find a working nvidia driver in repos filled with not working drivers? I don’t find a working driver even by not optima laptops.
thanks a lot

Hello Capodastro,

A few remarks.

You seem to think that these forums are a stage for discussions between you and wolfi323. This is not the case. These forums are a platform for all members. When you have a question/problem, you post here to all and the great thing is that answers will come forward from many. Some know better about other things then others, some will be sleeping or at work or at vacation. But all together we are going to try to help you.

Further, please use CODE tags around thecomputer output you post. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # buton in the tool bar of the post editor. Copy/paste the compter text (prefarable the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt) inj one sweep from the terminal in bwteen the tags.

Thanks for cooperating.

What do you mean with that?

• nouveau was practically embedded, may be in an extreme effort to make things run at least under nouveau.

Well, nouveau is included in openSUSE, in the kernel package, just like radeon, intel, …
But it should be blacklisted (i.e. disabled) automatically when you install the nvidia driver packages.
So how did you actually install the nvidia driver?

And openSUSE cannot ship nvidia because of license issues.

but now:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun
1823.987653] [ERROR]Missing argument: application to run
Try `optirun --help’ for more information.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxinfo
1863.492230] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the

1863.492282] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

For some reason, the nvidia kernel module cannot be started.

I have no experience with Bumblebee (or Optimus systems), so I’m not sure whether I can help you.

First you should post your repo list, and which nvidia/kernel packages you have installed I suppose (there’s more than one Bumblebee package floating around).

zypper lr -d
rpm -qa | egrep "kernel|nvidia"

Maybe the kernel log contains a more meaningful error message:

dmesg | grep nvidia

You could try to reinstall the nvidia kernel module package and post error messages that you possibly get:

zypper in -f dkms-nvidia

dear hcvv,
thanks for your right remarks! I assure you that by having a sound problem I would ask for help oldcpu! :slight_smile:
such moderators are not just experts, in my modest impression they think less and reflect much. they have also an uncommon human dimension. there is a point: I exposed some problems and still I don’t have a solution, like to say “at this point my performed operations don’t have any relevance because there is no positive result.” I assure you that in case I will put down everything with all necessary explanations! also don’t forget that we all do believe in the necessity of a good distribution and do what can be done…

first of all the used repositories, they are two:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Knurpht:/dkms-nvidia-bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Bumblebee-Project:/nVidia:/latest/openSUSE_13.1/

“I write and write, but things change,”
2 years ago I posted the way I used set up bumblebee. I feel very frustrated.

“nouveau was practically embedded, may be in an extreme effort to make things run at least under nouveau.”

• the nvidia proprietary driver has under linux many legal issues which make a full collaboration with the distributions impossible.
    Moreover, the kernel is gpl, the driver proprietary: you can’t embed proprietary code in a gpl code because then the last one
    will be no longer gpl. *buntu mounted a “crack” team hacking the nvidia driver and writing such a code for optimus laptops.
    we call that code bumblebee and everything happened by nvidia formally ignoring everything about. there was no other solution
    and my subjective impression is that *buntu didn’t hack anything but rather got the code “anonymously”.
  • Somebody reports that nouveau works with bumblebee: I’ll check also this, it could be a good temporary solution. the problem is
    the boys army using the laptop also for 3d gaming: they will leave for *indows and I don’t want that.
  • the attempt to uninstall nouveau uninstalled also mesa and the whole glx stuff. In this case I can call nouveau embedded,
    hardcoded or however you like. on my eyes it looks as a further effort to make this driver really working with bumblebee.
    I would do something like this only in a problematic situation. by observing the whole I get suspicious and tink: “well, is not so
    easy make nouveau work on code written for nvidia, or nouveau should be a kind of nvidia copy”. :slight_smile: Don’t worry, is don’t.

“So how did you actually install the nvidia driver?”

• i putted in grub the kernel option “brokenmodules=nouveau”
  • I completely deleted the stuff from /home:/Knurpht
  • I completely deleted the stuff from home:/Bumblebee-Project
  • I downloaded the last driver from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64
  • reboot in runlevel 3
  • installed the official nvidia driver, no dkms and just as helper to disable nouveau.
  • reboot
  • this time I got “Kernel driver in use: fbnvidia nouveau nvidia”
  • reboot in runlevel 3
  • uninstalled nvidia (used the installer --uninstall)
  • reboot
  • commented out every nouveau reference in “/etc/bumblebee/” substituting “nouveau” with “nvidia”
    /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
    “Driver=nvidia”
    “KernelDriver=nvidia”
  • /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-nouveau.conf “blacklist nouveau”
    /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf “blacklist nouveau”
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf “blacklist nouveau”
  • first the nvidia driver, then bumblebee
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Knurpht
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Bumblebee-Project
    NB: the two repos offer different driver versions: checked the 2 possible combinations with no success
  • rebooted 2 times and I got what already posted.

“For some reason, the nvidia kernel module cannot be started”

• this remark is possibly decisive

“dmesg | grep nvidia” once more you are right, but what means that!?

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> dmesg | grep nvidia
2.505486] nvidia: module license ‘NVIDIA’ taints kernel.
2.514193] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
2.514577] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
34.720913] bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver ‘nvidia’, refusing OFF
msi_user@linux-q2ld:~>

well, now I need a moment time to try your advices, anyway I keep 3 backups of this distribution and can experiment really
everything. thanks for your great help!

I hope you didn’t use both at the same time.

“I write and write, but things change,”
2 years ago I posted the way I used set up bumblebee. I feel very frustrated.

There’s a guide here, that one uses yet another repo, but it is reported to work:

And Knurpht also wrote a blog post regarding his repo/driver packages:
http://forums.opensuse.org/entry.php/153-Bumblebee-DKMS-NVIDIA-on-openSUSE
Shouldn’t be too difficult to follow…

• the attempt to uninstall nouveau uninstalled also mesa and the whole glx stuff. In this case I can call nouveau embedded,
    hardcoded or however you like. on my eyes it looks as a further effort to make this driver really working with bumblebee.

And as I said already, the nouveau kernel module is part of the kernel package.

But this doesn’t have anything to do with Bumblebee, and actually there’s no need to uninstall nouveau. If nvidia is installed, it will be preferred by Xorg, but this doesn’t help you on an Optimus system, since only the intel chip drives the display normally.

And you should be able to uninstall x11-video-nouveau.

“So how did you actually install the nvidia driver?”

• i putted in grub the kernel option “brokenmodules=nouveau”
  • I completely deleted the stuff from /home:/Knurpht
  • I completely deleted the stuff from home:/Bumblebee-Project
  • I downloaded the last driver from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64
  • reboot in runlevel 3
  • installed the official nvidia driver, no dkms and just as helper to disable nouveau.
  • reboot
  • this time I got “Kernel driver in use: fbnvidia nouveau nvidia”
  • reboot in runlevel 3
  • uninstalled nvidia (used the installer --uninstall)
  • reboot
  • commented out every nouveau reference in “/etc/bumblebee/” substituting “nouveau” with “nvidia”
    /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
    “Driver=nvidia”
    “KernelDriver=nvidia”
  • /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-nouveau.conf “blacklist nouveau”
    /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf “blacklist nouveau”
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf “blacklist nouveau”
  • first the nvidia driver, then bumblebee
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Knurpht
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Bumblebee-Project
    NB: the two repos offer different driver versions: checked the 2 possible combinations with no success
  • rebooted 2 times and I got what already posted.

The standard nvidia driver DOES NOT WORK on Optimus systems. And it even breaks the intel driver.
So remove everything you installed again, and all your blacklists.

And don’t install stuff from Knurpht and Bumblee-Project.

Follow one of the two guides I pointed you to, and it should work.

Or, check in your BIOS settings whether you can disable the intel graphics. In that case the standard nvidia driver should work then.
I would suggest to install it from nvidia’s repos though.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

Sorry, the package is actually named “xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau”. This contains the Xorg nouveau driver and can be uninstalled, but you don’t have to uninstall it as already mentioned. (it doesn’t help to uninstall it anyway, since it is the kernel module that prevents the nvidia driver from working if it is loaded)

You probably tried to uninstall libdrm_nouveau2, which you can’t because of the dependencies. But you cannot uninstall libdrm_radeon1 and libdrm_intel1 either, do those give you problems? Nothing special about Bumblebee/Optimus/NVidia here… :wink:

in some way I could say “SOLVED”: I know that glxgears is considered imprecise, but

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.008 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.966 FPS

Same output like on my laptop! It looks like if nvidia would be ON with no OFF possibility.l. On the other way the laptop runs smoothly and with no appreciables noises, I get always the same outputs also with power cable disconnected,
I made just a couple of tests:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] [10de:124d] (rev ff)
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia
02:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> dmesg | grep nvidia
2.484370] nvidia: module license ‘NVIDIA’ taints kernel.
2.491162] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
2.491394] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
54.887664] bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver ‘nvidia’, refusing OFF
322.854653] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
323.147881] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: irq 55 for MSI/MSI-X
401.005408] nvidia-settings[7816]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f9de190eeea sp 00007fff4d0ab898 error 4 in libc-2.18.so[7f9de188c000+1a5000]

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> nvidia-settings
Segmentation fault

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> glxinfo
name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:

client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:

Of course. Ever heard of VSync? :wink:
Apparently 60Hz is your display’s frequency.

And glxgears actually tells you that it is “Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.”

See here f.e.: How to run glxgears at full speed and not synchronized to vertical refresh? - ttux.net

Btw, on an Optimus system, the intel card is used by default.
You have to use optirun/primusrun to run things on the nvidia card.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> nvidia-settings
Segmentation fault

See above.
nvidia-settings will not work on the intel chip. Try to run it with “optirun nvidia-settings”.
No idea whether the crash is normal though.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> glxinfo
name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

Try “glxinfo | grep -i opengl” to get better suited information.
And then run “optirun glxinfo | grep -i opengl” to see the difference… :wink:

I left the configuration for nouveau redirected to nvidia

What do you mean with that?
Which configuration?

If you mean the nouveau blacklist, yes, that’s necessary if you want to use nvidia.

NB: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Bumblebee-Project:/nVidia:/latest/ contains ca 50 different drivers, but not the one I used earlier.

???
I only see exactly one driver in there, 334.21.

hi wolfi323,
please, just forget all what I wrote. Perhaps it would be possible to delete all, to avoid confusion by other menbers?
Like perhaps you can imagine I didn’t stop working around this subject and now we have a perfect solution. However,
we should make sure that it will work on any laptop.

• First of all, the final result:

306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.045 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.967 FPS

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxgears
7420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1483.951 FPS
7622 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1524.217 FPS

How I did it:
I decided to reinstall suse from scratch, to make sure that I will do a clean work, I made a minimal install, no packman :), I made just the updates.
After updating I got immediately a further update, the kernel, ver, 3.11.10-11 for the exatitude. Once more I stress that I didn’t install the compiler,
the kernel source and so on! By the way I am not recommanding reinstalling opensuse from scratch in order to get bumblabee working. Looking in the
"repos mess " I found some other bumblebee repositories. One of them made me a serious impression, due to the stuff and the completeness:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/

I installed from the repo everything with exclusion of:

VirtualGL-devel
bbswitch-kmp-default
bbswitch-kmp-pae
bbswitch-kmp-xen
libjpeg8-devel
libjpeg8-devel-32bit
NB: here happened something strange: the system added some packages, I assume also compiling stuff, and a new kernel version complete with all sources: desktop,
vanilla, xen and so on. Clearly modules were compiled on the fly. The new kernel verion is: 3.11.6-4-desktop and that is what I use.
NB: later, on the end, after successfull install conclusion I exchanged experimentally 3 packages: VirtualGL, VirtualGL-32bit and bbswitch-dkms with versions
from erlier mentioned repos and bumblebee keept working :slight_smile:

Well, at this point rebooting is necessity.
After the new login → yast → security and users → user and group management → edit → details, and mark the checkbox “bumblebee”
in “/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf” set “Driver=nvidia” instead of “Driver=”
reboot again

This time as root:
systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
systemctl start bumblebeed.service
reboot finally and check, it works for me and I hope for you also!
every question is welcome, the “stupid” ones are in my experience also the most important :slight_smile:

Well, I cannot do that. I am not Moderator in this particular forum.
If you really want a post to be deleted/changed, please click on the small triangle below a post (“Report post”), and request that.

Like perhaps you can imagine I didn’t stop working around this subject and now we have a perfect solution. However,
we should make sure that it will work on any laptop.

So you want this to be some kind of tutorial for other users?
I cannot really help you to make sure it will work on any laptop, though. I don’t even have one.

Some notes though:

306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.045 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.967 FPS

That is running on the intel chip, synchronized to the monitor refresh rate (60Hz).
Try “vblank_mode=0 glxgears” to get the full frame rate.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxgears
7420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1483.951 FPS
7622 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1524.217 FPS

This doesn’t look like you’re using the nvidia driver.
I get more than that on my stone old Radeon 9600 card.

A GeForce GT 555M should do a lot better.

Please post the output of “optirun glxinfo | grep -i opengl” to see if you’re really using the nvidia driver.

NB: here happened something strange: the system added some packages, I assume also compiling stuff, and a new kernel version complete with all sources: desktop,
vanilla, xen and so on.

Yes, the nvidia driver needs that for installing. With “sources” you mean “kernel-xen-devel” and so on, I suppose?

Clearly modules were compiled on the fly. The new kernel verion is: 3.11.6-4-desktop and that is what I use.

That is not a new kernel, that is the one shipped with 13.1.
The newest one is 3.11.10-11 at the moment.

Which one are you really using:

uname -a

The wrong one might prevent the nvidia driver from working, as the nvidia kernel module has to be installed for the particular kernel you’re using. DKMS should take care of that automatically, but you didn’t install that AFAICT.

Welcome to the world of Optimess, those numbers are rather normal under Bumblebee, remember it’s running in a virtual x-server and piping it over to the intel chip.

hi wolfi,
first the requested outputs:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> vblank_mode=0 glxgears
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
35440 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7087.885 FPS
36398 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7279.507 FPS
36304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7260.674 FPS

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxinfo | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 334.21
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 334.21
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> uname -a
Linux linux-q2ld 3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

“Well, I cannot do that”
wery well, first let me see how this story will finish.

“I get more than that on my stone old Radeon 9600 card”
belive or not I had this card and my first suse install was even on a x700

“A GeForce GT 555M should do a lot better”
think that the card given as post signature gives me just 300 frames in 5 sec. Anyway petra and me, we are modest artist of 5, category.: we learned to be content with less :slight_smile:
My only concern are youngs who like computer games: if they don’t get the opengl they will switch to ubuntu or even worse to…I don’t have the courage to mention them…

Now seriously, yes, I know that nvidia modules must be compiled against the kenel and the 5 vmware modules also. However, the fact that the suse team needs to downgrade the kernel version shows me how difficult is to build a fit ( between kernel and hardware ). OK, now I expect big improvements for my graphic card ( don’t worry, just again my black humor ).
At this point a priority would be usb3 intermttent connections with catastrophic conseqences. That heppens also by se7en and 8. I have a new pc with special utilities which is immune and usb2 is until 50% faster. Should I open a new thread? let me know about the graphic cards.

Ok, so the nvidia driver is indeed working.

Hm, I wouldn’t have expected such a degradation, your intel chip is actually doing nearly 5x better with glxgear.
But I suppose the Optimus overhead will be much smaller in relation when running games or such, so you would still get good framerates, better than with the intel.
Otherwise the 2 graphics card wouldn’t make any sense… :wink:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> uname -a
Linux linux-q2ld 3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Well, that’s indeed the old kernel.
I suppose that’s required by bbswitch-kmp-desktop, AFAICS that’s only available for kernel 3.11.6.
Installing bbswitch-dkms instead of that should make it possible to use any other kernel.

My only concern are youngs who like computer games: if they don’t get the opengl they will switch to ubuntu or even worse to…I don’t have the courage to mention them…

Well, that’s a hardware limitation. It would be the same on Ubuntu I suppose. No idea how easy/tough it would be to install Bumblebee there though.

Now seriously, yes, I know that nvidia modules must be compiled against the kenel and the 5 vmware modules also. However, the fact that the suse team needs to downgrade the kernel version shows me how difficult is to build a fit ( between kernel and hardware ).

???
The suse team did not downgrade any kernel. But apparently the requirements of bbswitch-kmp-desktop forced the old kernel on you.
As said, try with bbswitch-dkms, and it should also work with the latest kernel (3.11.10-11).

At this point a priority would be usb3 intermttent connections with catastrophic conseqences. That heppens also by se7en and 8. I have a new pc with special utilities which is immune and usb2 is until 50% faster. Should I open a new thread? let me know about the graphic cards.

Yes, please open a new thread for that.

glxspheres is a little more complex test, it’s included in your bumblebee install, run the following tests:

vblank_mode=0 glxspheres
optirun glxspheres
vblank_mode=0 primusrun glxspheres

hi hank_se,
hier the requested output:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> vblank_mode=0 glxspheres
Polygons in scene: 62464
Visual ID of window: 0x20
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
182.303931 frames/sec - 203.451187 Mpixels/sec
183.592397 frames/sec - 204.889115 Mpixels/sec
185.061955 frames/sec - 206.529141 Mpixels/sec
185.886212 frames/sec - 207.449012 Mpixels/sec
186.203601 frames/sec - 207.803218 Mpixels/sec
184.867112 frames/sec - 206.311697 Mpixels/sec

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxspheres
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2
166.319417 frames/sec - 185.612470 Mpixels/sec
167.601426 frames/sec - 187.043191 Mpixels/sec
167.095856 frames/sec - 186.478975 Mpixels/sec
165.915130 frames/sec - 185.161285 Mpixels/sec
168.545976 frames/sec - 188.097309 Mpixels/sec
167.251454 frames/sec - 186.652622 Mpixels/sec
168.443394 frames/sec - 187.982828 Mpixels/sec
167.187533 frames/sec - 186.581286 Mpixels/sec
167.705018 frames/sec - 187.158800 Mpixels/sec
167.567169 frames/sec - 187.004961 Mpixels/sec
165.130020 frames/sec - 184.285102 Mpixels/sec
163.708632 frames/sec - 182.698834 Mpixels/sec
164.273250 frames/sec - 183.328947 Mpixels/sec

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> vblank_mode=0 primusrun glxspheres
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2
178.303111 frames/sec - 198.986272 Mpixels/sec
177.430984 frames/sec - 198.012979 Mpixels/sec
173.513399 frames/sec - 193.640954 Mpixels/sec
179.882403 frames/sec - 200.748762 Mpixels/sec
183.845754 frames/sec - 205.171862 Mpixels/sec
183.381449 frames/sec - 204.653697 Mpixels/sec

well, I don’t understand what is going on: can you give me at least some reference to learn a bit about? on my eyes it looks like the sucking intel card would have 10% more power as geforce self !?

hi wolfi,
thanks a lot for the explanation! now I understand. While still beginner I get easily confused. so, now I am running the:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> uname -r
3.11.10-11-desktop

and bumblebee still works, is that a dkms achivement?

Yes. Whenever a new kernel is installed, dkms rebuilds the kernel module for that kernel.
That’s its only purpose. :wink: