OpenSUSE 12.2 kernel 3.7.8-1 does not boot

As the title says, my install of OpenSUSE 12.2 broke after an update to the kernel yesterday. It installed new versions of kernel 3.7.8-1-desktop and 3.7.8-1-default, and none of these GRUB entries boot (neither those, nor the matching “recovery mode” entries). They all fail with the following error:

Loading Linux 3.7.8-1-desktop …
error: `file /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.8-1-desktop not found’.
Loading initial ramdisk …
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue…

In case it matters, I use the Kernel repository at Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard, and it might have been where the updates got pulled from.

How do I unbreak this? Is reinstalling the only solution? Thanks in advance.

Hello, I think I got at one point in time something similar in which the grub didn’t have enough information to restart the system. Check this thread https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/472332-system-wont-boot-after-kernel-upgrade.html and see if the info in it can be applied to your situation. Notice in there the steps suggested by some of the gurus and if it doesn’t apply at least provide those details(most important the content of the grub file.

From what I’ve seen, what happened to you and what’s happening to me are entirely different beasts, but thanks anyway. I will read the thread in more detail tomorrow and see if I can do something. In the meantime, other suggestions are welcome.

then I would suggest to provide the output of this command:

sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst so someone can get more details and try to help you.

That will be complicated since I can’t boot, but I’ll try to find a way to do it. Maybe I have a live CD or something…

I would suggest parted magic which could get you access to the system or boot from a CD?

You have been experimenting a little too much my friend.
try this https://forums.opensuse.org/content/146-using-livecd-take-over-repair-installed-system.html

• Now you can start Yast, zypper, or whatever is needed to repair your system.

Please do not make insulting assumptions. I have already explained what I did, and it certainly was NOT “experimenting a little to much”, unless you consider “zypper ref && zypper dup” with only stable repos being active “experimenting a little too much”.

Anyway, for those that can wish to know, what happened is that kernet 3.7.9 was installed, but something went wrong with the upgrade (not with any experiments, 'cause there were none) and the relevant stuff didn’t get properly done so the system tried to boot kernel 3.7.8, but couldn’t 'cause it was no longer available. Hence, I renamed the proper files and the machine boots kernel 3.7.9 now, thinking that it’s 3.7.8. I know this is only a workaround, but I’ll do a proper fix one of these days. Thank you all for your assistance.

You should not use “dup” unless you are doing a full OS upgrade or down grade

Use “up” to get updates and patches.