openSUSE 11 - KDE 3 or KDE 4

I stay by kde3 till kde 4 gets better.
On kde3 I have the possibility to add programs to the task-bar, how to do that on kde 4 I can’t find out. When I drag a program icon down on the task bar, it is added, but by a reboot it’s gone, even when I have set the session type on: restore last session.
The “widgets” (is this becoming windows? :wink: ) have less possibilities than the applets in 10.3. And the style and font (letter-type) is not mine, dolphin looks ugly and I don’t see a way to change the style.

(Beside this I stay by 10.3 because 11.0 hangs after a while when I use opengl. (see my post in section hardware: Suse 11.0 hangs))

Cause I like the KDE 3.5 workflow, I’ll stick to it until most of the known features are implemented into KDE4.x. IMHO, KDE4 will be usable not before version4.2. KDE4.1 still lacks lots of helpful features known from the 3.5 branch…

I went with kde 4 cause 4.1 is coming out anyway right so a month of kde 4.0 won’t be bad for me :wink:

Neither. *

Thus, I had to go out of my way to install KDE 3.5.9, because KDE-4.0.4 is
the DEFAULT (a Novell mistake, in my view).

(I already had an ‘experimental’ Debian distro to evalutate KDE 4’s progress.)

Enough said.*

KDE-4 is not the default DE for openSUSE 11.0 but not having a LiveCD for the 3.x series gives such an appearance.

If I install openSUSE 11.0 from the KDE LiveCD, it DEFAULTS to KDE 4.0.4.
That is the definition of DEFAULT, despite the fact that you ASSERT that
it isn’t the default.

So, I’ll agree that there is no DEFAULT between Gnome vs KDE. But, I
continue to assert that if one makes the choice between KDE and Gnome,
and chooses KDE, and thus acquires the LiveCD, then KDE 4.0.4 is the
default.

And, you’ll never convince me otherwise.:D*

Heh…a KDE-4 LiveCD will always be what it is. :slight_smile:

Much apologies for the late reply…

They’ve changed the directory layout. The 4.1 snapshots are now in /factory so you would need to use Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0 as a source.

There is one niggling dependency issue that I haven’t had time to poke the mailing list about, but you may wind up with a problem due to PolicyKit-kde. Just tell it not to install.

Hope this helps…

Cheers,
KV

i have also had this problem with PolicyKit-kde since installing oS11rc1. i’m on oS11 final.

i have only had one other dependency problem though. it is with libcegui-0.6.0-8.4.i586: it requires libxerces-c.so.27, but this requirement can’t be provided.

KDE 3.5.9 for my desktop session, and KDE 4 apps.

KDE 4.1.1.