[openSuSE 11.4][kernel 2.6.37.6-0.20-desktop][KDE 4.6.0] slowness

Greetings,

That is from a while now that I feel uncomfortable slownesses from the system.
When clicking on the panel icon to obtain dolphin file manager it takes sometimes (the problem is intermittent) one or two minutes to open the folder !!
When clicking on the LibreOffice writer icon it takes one or two minutes to open the application, same with okular (it is really faster with Adobe Reader), the target file is 2Mo weight, that is not really huge.
When launching the applications from KickOff it is the same, for example GView takes one minute (around) to launch… kate takes 40 or 50 “icon bounds” to open… with or without an error message telling that *.desktop can not be opened (error plasma shell) .

But if I launch the applications from console it is immediate, (one or three seconds maximum) !!

I tested with another user and the issue never happened: the issue is related to the root account.

There is no particular error logged in /var/log… I searched for errors or warnings but there is nothing related to this issue (the usual files never indicated errors or warnings).

The only one type of errors I have are related to the awakening from hibernation (subject of another thread asap):

Oct  2 20:11:58 antares syslog-ng[1063]: I/O error occurred while writing; fd='11', error='Input/output error (5)'
Oct  2 20:11:58 antares kernel:  6436.276020] phy0 -> rt61pci_set_device_state: Error - Device failed to enter state 1 (-16).

I don’t know where to start to find a fix, although I know that this is user related (when using another root group member the issue can not be reproduced in any way).
I did not tested in safe mode yet but I’m not sure it will be helpfull (safe mode is, for me, to use when the issue is system related, when all the users logged “endures” the same symptoms).

If someone already experienced such strange behaviour and fixed it… please don’t hesitate to make me know ^^

On 2012-10-03 15:56, soundlord wrote:

> I tested with another user and the issue never happened: the issue is
> related to the root account.

But you should not be using the root account.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

I know I shouldn’t but it is annoying to always do sudo to operate on the system… it worked perfectly untill I update the kernel and the graphic card driver… (because of changing the monitor from a 22" to a 24")
I’m looking now what is the cause of the “Error launching /usr/share/applications/*****.desktop. Either KLauncher is not running anymore, or it failed to start the application.” where ***** is the name of the application.
This message appears sometimes.

The issue is intermittent, tonight, aside firefox that is still slow to launch, dolphin and the other applications launched at affordable response times.
Very very strange…

On 2012-10-04 00:06, soundlord wrote:
>
> I know I shouldn’t but it is annoying to always do sudo to operate on
> the system…

Then don’t use sudo, use “su -” on a terminal and leave it open. NEVER log in X as root.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Acknowledged… I tried to change my bad habits it is not very painful ^^
For information, for those that suffered such issue: in the configure desktop, choose ***application and system notifications ***then launch feedback ****and by god sake DO NOT SET A VALUE GREATER THAN 0 at start up indication timeout ^^

*The shame won’t kill…

My Startup indication timeout is already set to 30 sec out of the box. Is there some other reason your problem is fixed?

On 11/14/2012 11:46 PM, anika200 wrote:
> Is there some other reason your problem is fixed?

whatever! this thread is about a version of openSUSE which is no longer
supported with security patches/etc <http://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime>…

therefore, if this old thread’s problem is fixed, or not all users of
openSUSE 11.4 should either move up to a supported version or join their
11.4 to Evergreen <http://tinyurl.com/4aflkpy>

dd