openSUSE 11.4, Gnome 2.32, K3B Dual-Layer DVD Burn Failure.

Hello, I have been trying for sometime now to burn my ISO s which are greater than 5GB on dual-layer DVDs (DVD+R) but so far none of the 3 DVDs I have made have been successful. Don’t get me wrong, K3B states that the burning process was a success. All K3B settings are at their default values.

I have not tried using brasero because of the problem I faced with it. Here is a link for those who might want look at the problems I faced with brasero.
(brasero_burn_check_session_consistency brasero-burn.c:1744). Unsupported type of task operation.](http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/459953-brasero_burn_check_session_consistency-brasero-burn-c-1744-unsupported-type-task-operation.html)
So far burning ISO images on ordinary DVDs has been successful.

I would be very great-full for any suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Thank you.

Hello, I have been trying for sometime now to burn my ISO s which are greater than 5GB on dual-layer DVDs (DVD+R) but so far none of the 3 DVDs I have made have been successful. Don’t get me wrong, K3B states that the burning process was a success. All K3B settings are at their default values.

I have not tried using brasero because of the problem I faced with it. Here is a link for those who might want look at the problems I faced with brasero.
(brasero_burn_check_session_consistency brasero-burn.c:1744). Unsupported type of task operation.](http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/459953-brasero_burn_check_session_consistency-brasero-burn-c-1744-unsupported-type-task-operation.html)
So far burning ISO images on ordinary DVDs has been successful.

I would be very great-full for any suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Thank you.
So what media are you placing on these DL DVD’s? I have made copies of my movies before for backup using a DL DVD burner with DL media (Stated on the Box as being DVD +RDL at 8.4 GB each ) using the k9copy utility which was informed of the increased disk sizes. These movies will then play on the very same DL player and any DVD+RDL Rated Player, but do not work on standard DVD players not rated for the DL disks. It is important to know what was copied to these disks and on what player you tried to use these disks.

Thank You,

Pretty much any DVD reader that is still alive now can play DL disks that nobody bothers to state that they are DL ready (e.g. your cheapo DVD player from a supermarket can handle pressed DL disks). However older readers might have problems with reading user written (-R, +R) media.

Pretty much any DVD reader that is still alive now can play DL disks that nobody bothers to state that they are DL ready (e.g. your cheapo DVD player from a supermarket can handle pressed DL disks). However older readers might have problems with reading user written (-R, +R) media.
Let me just say that any recently purchased player should read DL disks, but it is amazing just how many older DVD players still exist out there. My next door neighbor is one of those with a DVD player that can not play a DL disk. So while new players and disk burners can handle these disks, lots of older players still exist that can not. You can not assume it should work without knowing more about the intended player on which the DL disk did not work.

Thank You,

You realise that a majority of pressed DVDs (e.g. movies) are DL and the player would get junked very quickly if they didn’t handle that? DL reading support has been in DVD drives for a long long time. However newer types of media, -+R(W) may present a problem to older drives. This is not to do with the DL capability but the contrast ratio of the media.

ken_yap You realize that a majority of pressed DVDs (e.g. movies) are DL and the player would get junked very quickly if they didn’t handle that? DL reading support has been in DVD drives for a long long time. However newer types of media, -+R(W) may present a problem to older drives. This is not to do with the DL capability but the contrast ratio of the media.
There is a difference in Factory made Dual Layer Disks, Recorded Dual Layers Disks and DVD players being rated to properly play back Dual Layer DVD disks. Trust me, recorded disks do not work on all players that can play factory made Dual Layer DVD’s. Here is a quote on the subject from just one source…

Single-sided dual layer recordable discs are constructed by one dummy polycarbonate platter base and the other one that contains a single organic recording layer. Dual Layer recordable discs contain two organic dye recording layers (termed L0 and L1, respectively) between dual polycarbonate bases and semi-reflective metal layers separated by a transparent spacing layer. Single layer DVDs have a wobbled pre-groove molded into the polycarbonate base that controls the rotation speed of the disc and provide the addressing scheme for the disc. In a dual layer recordable DVD, each recording layer has its own wobbled pre-groove that controls rotation speed and addressing for that layer. However, the entire “table of contents” and system area of a dual layer recordable disc is contained only on the first recordable layer (L0).
To read the full content, here is the link on the subject:

BurnWorld - Understanding Dual Layer DVD9 Burning

Now I am not sure if we arguing on the same side of the problem or not here. Would not be the first time, but I do understand the issues with Dual Layer DVD’s made from the factory, made in your home player and the pitfalls of older DVD players not rated to play DL DVD+R disks.

Thank You,

Thanks for finally agreeing with me. :wink:

Thank you, to everyone who has been so generous to share their ideas but I don’t think it is the media that has a problem but the application and may be how it integrates with Gnome DE. I have tried 4 dual-layer DVDs all of which failed when I shifted from KDE to Gnome because of the difficulties I faced with bluetooth and wireless networking. Before that, I was able to successfully burn 3 DVD+R DL and this is when I was using KDE. Come to think of it, I have not been able to successfully burn a single DVD+R DL since I started running Gnome DE.

I’m not making DVDs to be played on DVD players but I was intending to back-up my games there. The dual-layer DVDs are from Imation.

Sorry I was not able to reply sooner, I had CATs and I also had classes all day.

Thanks.

I just stumbled on something interesting. When I tried to install the package cdrecord, I got the following error:

rpm -ivh cdrecord-3.01a05-1.1.i586.rpm
Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
file /usr/bin/cdrecord from install of cdrecord-3.01a05-1.1.i586 conflicts with file from package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat-1.1.10-4.3.i586
file /usr/bin/readcd from install of cdrecord-3.01a05-1.1.i586 conflicts with file from package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat-1.1.10-4.3.i586
file /usr/share/man/man1/cdrecord.1.gz from install of cdrecord-3.01a05-1.1.i586 conflicts with file from package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat-1.1.10-4.3.i586
file /usr/share/man/man1/readcd.1.gz from install of cdrecord-3.01a05-1.1.i586 conflicts with file from package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat-1.1.10-4.3.i586

I then went to suse studio and tried to add the same package cdrecord and an warning concerning package conflicts with the following options:

• Remove genisoimage

• Remove k3b

• Remove k3b-codecs

• Remove cdrecord

I also noted that the package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat, in suse studio was shown to be 0 bytes. I think this is very strange. This is the description given about the package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat in suse studio:This package contains these compatibility symlinks: cdrecord -> wodim mkisofs -> genisoimage cdda2wav -> icedax Install this package if you can’t use the cdrkit programs directly.

I’m going to remove genisoimage and cdrkit-cdrtools-compat and see what happens after cdrecord is installed.

This is a long shot but I would be grateful to anyone with an idea.

Thank You.

-RW does not exist, RW for DVD’s is ‘exclusive’ to +…

Hi
I have memorex DVD-RW discs here…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RW

DVD recordable - Wikipedia
ISO/IEC 17341:2009 - Information technology — Data interchange on 120 mm and 80 mm optical disk using +RW format — Capacity: 4,7 Gbytes and 1,46 Gbytes per side (recording speed up to 4X)

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop
up 11:35, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.08
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 270.41.06

You would lose the bet if you came around to my place and I showed you my spindle of -RW DVDs.

ketheriel wrote:

>
> ken_yap;2353894 Wrote:
>> You realise that a majority of pressed DVDs (e.g. movies) are DL and the
>> player would get junked very quickly if they didn’t handle that? DL
>> reading support has been in DVD drives for a long long time. However
>> newer types of media, -+R(W) may present a problem to older drives. This
>> is not to do with the DL capability but the contrast ratio of the media.
>
> -RW does not exist, RW for DVD’s is ‘exclusive’ to +…

From my reading, that is true ONLY for dl. It sure isn’t accurate for
single layer DVDs - got a whole stack of …-RW discs here.

Will Honea

Hi
This shows a version… DVD-R DL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only ever brought 5 and they were + ones… used 4, still have one left…