openSuSE 11.4 and Nouveau

Hello friends :slight_smile:

I have installed openSuSE 11.4 from the distribution DVD and the installer routine auto-installed the system on a GeForce 210 office class graphics adapter without as much as half a glitch, albeit with 2D functionality (the card is an ASUS EN 210 silent, with 512M DDR2 GeForce 210, the driver is nouveau, the monitor is Eizo EV2303).

However, I would like some more graphics power on the system. Could someone please help me out on:

• how do I go about changing the graphics card? Without SaX2, I can’t seem to find anywhere to even set the monitor details, much less the graphics card. Will just putting in a new card restart the autoconfiguration?

• which card to buy :\ with respect to the nouveau driver… is there an up-to-date compatibility list on the net somewhere?

Many thanks, and best regards from Northern Germany -

Steve

Nouveau-Grafiktreiber – openSUSE

For nVIDIA video cards I prefer installing the driver the hard way, as it is called. You can read more about it here.

Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

This permits the loading of the very latest video drivers from nVIDIA.

Thank You,

Hello, it’s me again :slight_smile:

Sorry about the delay, I was asking before I even had another card and then felt I had enough information. Now I have got a Palit GeForce GT 240 and feel hopeful that it should work with openSuSE and nouveau.

However, now that I wanted to get serious, I… found I have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf .

I understand the openSuSE-nouveau-page (thanks, Johannes!) to say that deleting xorg.conf will restart the auto-install of the graphics system.

> Automatisch
>
> Das Einrichten bzw. Laden der Treiber geschieht durch den nunmehr verwendeten XServer (>1.7.0) automatisch. Dazu sollte ggf. der Befehl:
> $ sudo rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> ausgeführt werden.

I only have xorg.conf.install, which does not seem to contain anything referring to my nvidia card, and the folder xorg.conf.d.

What does this tell me? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help -

Steve, from the rainiest summer since 1958. That’s why I need new graphics…

Add the NVIDIA repo:

Yast - Software - Repos - Add - Repos maintained by the community - check NVIDIA. Then
Yast - Software - Software Management. Drivers should be auto-selected for install. Accept, reboot the computer and that should be it.

Hello again…

I did this. It got me about two dozen packages installed without problems, nvidia and devel stuff, rebooted still without problems. Only - /etc/X11/xorg.conf still doesn’t exist.

The board nicks me ‘puzzled penguin’ and I sure am:

• why can I run X without an xorg.conf? I wouldn’t have thought that possible? What is it that I’m running?

• and back to replacing the GeForce 210 with a 240: can I just switch cards without changing anything software-wise? Where does the missing xorg.conf leave me?

Thanks again for your help -

Steve

On 8/23/2011 5:06 AM, novellstk wrote:
>
> Hello friends :slight_smile:
>
> I have installed openSuSE 11.4 from the distribution DVD and the
> installer routine auto-installed the system on a GeForce 210 office
> class graphics adapter without as much as half a glitch, albeit with 2D
> functionality (the card is an ASUS EN 210 silent, with 512M DDR2 GeForce
> 210, the driver is nouveau, the monitor is Eizo EV2303).
>
> However, I would like some more graphics power on the system. Could
> someone please help me out on:
>
> - how do I go about changing the graphics card? Without SaX2, I can’t
> seem to find anywhere to even set the monitor details, much less the
> graphics card. Will just putting in a new card restart the
> autoconfiguration?
>
> - which card to buy :\ with respect to the nouveau driver… is there
> an up-to-date compatibility list on the net somewhere?
>
> Many thanks, and best regards from Northern Germany -
>
> Steve
>
>

Mm… i think any card should work.
The one thing that may not work is 3D functionality. There is a beta or
was it alpha version of Nouveau drivers but i gave up on them.
Personally i think the Nvidia drivers suit more if 3D is of essence.

Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using LXDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
http://mzl.la/o4n9Yw

On 09/10/2011 03:26 PM, novellstk wrote:
>
> Hello again…
>
> I did this. It got me about two dozen packages installed without
> problems, nvidia and devel stuff, rebooted still without problems. Only
> - /etc/X11/xorg.conf still doesn’t exist.
>
> The board nicks me ‘puzzled penguin’ and I sure am:
>
> - why can I run X without an xorg.conf? I wouldn’t have thought that
> possible? What -is- it that I’m running?
>
> - and back to replacing the GeForce 210 with a 240: can I just switch
> cards without changing anything software-wise? Where does the missing
> xorg.conf leave me?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is deprecated. The necessary stuff is split into many
different files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. The selection of the driver will
likely be in file 50-device.conf.

• why can I run X without an xorg.conf? I wouldn’t have thought that possible? What is it that I’m running?

For the most part, the Xorg server can automatically detect the hardware and monitor native resolution these days, rendering /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or the newer files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/) unnecessary.

You mentioned the open source nouveau driver - this will be used by default, unless you install the suggested proprietary nvidia driver.

Input devices are now detected automatically and don’t need to be specified in xorg.conf. In fact, those sections are normally ignored. You can use Device, Monitor and Screen sections (in some cases, you might have to), either in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or in the files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. X will evaluate both at start and use /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists:

110.996] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Sep 10 09:56:56 2011
   111.001] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
   111.001] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"

You don’t need to edit nor create xorg.conf to use nouveau.

So, here’s the feedback to all the friendly people who answered and for those reading along.

Computers normally do pretty much what I want them to, but I’m not much into hardware and was quite a bit afraid of killing my freshly-set up linux installation. So I took a while to get my courage up. When I finally did, it was entirely anticlimactic: I just switched cards, changing a GeForce 210 to a GeForce 240, and everything worked. It was just shut down my regular system, old card out, new card in, boot again. Except that X started a whole lot faster, I wouldn’t have noticed any difference booting onto the KDE desktop.

Interestingly, the competition from Seattle on my dual-boot system found the operation rather more difficult. W!n rebooted into a 640x480 screen, in spite of a current nvidia driver being already installed, took quite a while to install drivers for video and audio, and then needed another reboot for everything to work.

Meaning, deep kudos to the nouveau people :slight_smile: ! I’m with SuSE since, I believe, 5.3, and this is the first time ever I found any operation on graphics hardware easy and actually easier with Linux than with the OS from Seattle.