OpenSuse 11.3 change a monitor

Hi All!

I’ve changed my monitor from a 19" 4:3 to a 22" 16:9. This one can be used with 1920x1080 resolution that we have tested on an OpenSuse 11.1 and a Windows 7 machine. Now I’d like to connect it to my 11.3 box.

But under 11.3 it is not possible or I do not know how to change to a widescreen resolution. Not 1920x1080 but any.

xrandr list only those modes that is availbale with my old 4:3 monitor. Nothing else.

I’ve tried: nvidia-xconfig, nvidia-settings, write a brand new xorg.conf with the modeline output of gtf for 1920x1080, googled for it but nothing helped. I can’t understand. One more thing: under 11.1 in nvidia-settings the “Detect Displays” button works well and do what its function is but under 11.3 it did not detect anything. Nothing detected. Just what it was before: my old monitors properties

I’ve ran out of ideas. What to do now? Please help

Thanks in advance,
John

I might suggest three things to try.

1. Rename your xorg.conf file as root (like to xorg1.conf) and reboot.
  2. Download the latest nVidia driver and reload it the hard way.
  3. Consider using a DVI connection between your computer and monitor and not VGA.

Ask if you don’t know what that any of this means.

Thank You,

You can add the following line in the Monitor section of your xorg.conf (assuming everything else is correct there):

Option “PreferredMode” "1920x1080"

It should not be necessary but might help (I use it myself).

You can add the following line in the Monitor section of your xorg.conf (assuming everything else is correct there):

Option “PreferredMode” “1920x1080”

It should not be necessary but might help (I use it myself).

That will not work if xrandr does not report this mode as being available in the first place. Try the suggestions James made, and give us an update.

1. I did it. Nothing happened.
  2. I do not think it’s necessary because of 11.1 uses older version and it works fine!
  3. THIS WAS THE SOLUTION!!! Thank you for your effort. I plugged my monitor in the DVI connector of my video card and pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. X automatically set my resolution 1920x1080. I had no things to do at all with it. No reboot, no reconfig. Simply works!!!

But I think this automatism will punch back once.

Thank you again.

1. THIS WAS THE SOLUTION!!! Thank you for your effort. I plugged my monitor in the DVI connector of my video card and pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. X automatically set my resolution 1920x1080. I had no things to do at all with it. No reboot, no reconfig. Simply works!!!

Good result. The display capabilities (via EDID) are often better reported through the DVI ports, hence this is always worth a shot in situations like this. :slight_smile:

For others having similar issues, examining /var/log/Xorg.0.log will usually reveal useful info about the cause of the display problem.

Happy to hear you got your display working. The DVI connection always seems to work best for me. I have a script file you can use to view the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. You might want to check it out.

S.L.A.V.E. - SuSE Logfile Automated Viewer Engine - Version 2.00

Thank You,