"openSUSE-11.0 live Gnome CD install fails by loading to a t

hi everyone. im new to linux and not really good in computetr jargons. please help. i have downloaded and burned opensuse11 in the cd. it can boot in my laptop but the problem is that it boots like in dos mode. i dont know what are the commands to type. i was used to the windows xp installation. i hope some one can guide me through the installation. linux is really not that common here in the philippines since i can not find a local community to help me out. thanks much guys.

try forcing the kernel to use vesa at the boot

there are other options, just read thru the help section at boot

hi there. i’m sorry i did not quite get it. where will i go?

at the green boot screen there is a help menu F1 or F2 I think, there should be some info there

But as I recall, when you select installation, you then type the word ‘vesa’ (without quotes - the text should appear on the screen.
then hit enter

If this doesn’t work
read here Installation Help - openSUSE

another option:
If the graphical boot menu doesn’t show or freezes, try press and hold Shift on the keyboard when booting the installation media. This starts the text-mode boot menu instead.

i know i’m giving you a hard time on this but i can not load the green screen…when i run the cd it automatically boots to that dos mode… black screen with A:> is seen on the screen.

when i boot the live cd on my laptop it does not show the green boot but a black screen with a:> similar to a dos mode. i dont have a clue on this. please help.why does it not load on the green boot?

That’s the CLI (Command Line Interface).

Try entering the command: “startx” without quatations and see what happens.

If you are given any errors, or are told to check a file, please post them.

:slight_smile:

did you try this:

another option:
If the graphical boot menu doesn’t show or freezes, try press and hold Shift on the keyboard when booting the installation media. This starts the text-mode boot menu instead.

yes i did but nothing happens. it goes straight to dos mode. here is the caption in the black screen…

using dpms dos Protected mode services

cache size: 7670 kb (xms)
minimum cache size: 1024 kb
write-through drives a b

caldera dr-dos 7.03
[dr-dos] a:> startx
command or file not recognized

i hope this information helps. thanks much

yes i did but nothing happens. it goes straight to dos mode. here is the caption in the black screen…

write-through drives a b

caldera dr-dos 7.03

it goes straight to dos mode. here is the caption in the black screen…

write-through drives a b

caldera dr-dos 7.03

googled it and I have this:
Caldera DR-DOS Quick Start Guide

This sounds like you burnt the ISO image on the DVD as a file using Nero or something like that, and a DOS loader was added to it. You should instead burn in image mode so that the DVD is exactly as mastered, nothing added or removed. If you load the DVD on your computer and you see a .iso file, that’s wrong. You should see several files and directories at the top level.

i used nero in burning the cd… is there any thing to cure it? should i burn it again? how should i burn it using nero? thanx ken.

You have to find the setting in Nero that burns the ISO file as an image. I don’t use Nero so I couldn’t tell you where it is, maybe someone else can.

try this app
Download ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 - FileHippo.com

burn a new one with it
burn slow!

thanks guys…it really is not my day today…hehehe…my last 3 cds are bad…have to get a new one…will post updates…

opensuse11 gnome live cd boots in caldera dos mode…what to do…just wondering if there is a way to solve this…

There is no “DOS” in the GNOME CD - where did you download it and what’s the name of the .iso file you burned?

i downloaded it as torrent and burned it using nero as a bootable file. its a live cd. when i attempt to boot it goes to a black screen with a dos similar setup…this is what is written…

using dpms dos protected mode services
cache size: 7670kb (xms)
minimumcache size: 1024kb
write-through drives A B

caldera dr-dos 7.03
[dr-dos] a:>

do u have any idea what this is? its really giving me a hard time…thanks much