OpenStack Cloud Image unable to log in to instance

I’m trying to deploy the Leap 15.1 cloud image from here (specifically the openSUSE-Leap-15.1-OpenStack.x86_64-0.0.4-Build6.31.qcow2 image) in an OpenStack environment. I’ve uploaded it to glance and I’ve created an ssh-keypair. I’m trying to boot an instance with the below command:

nova boot --flavor m1.medium --nic net-id=<my network's UUID> --image OpenSuseLeap15dot1 --key-name <my-key-name> OpenSUSE_UtilityServer

The image boots up, but I am unable to log in via ssh presumably because the wicked network service doesn’t assign the IP correctly (I can’t ping the VM). And I can’t log in via console because there is no password set, at least none that I could find, so I can’t configure the network settings via console. If I use an Ubuntu image with the same nova command, the network is configured properly and I can ssh into the instance with the ssh key.

Could someone provide an example of spinning up an openSUSE instance?

Personally,
I’ve never used a pre-built openSUSE image in openstack, I’ve always created my own… which is an option others should consider as well since you can then know what it’s in it and how it’s configured.

But looking into this…
I quickly found as you might have that no SDB or image description seems to exist which would describe default authentication.

But,
I did find the following which describes recommended settings for building openSUSE/SUSE cloud images which assuming was applied to the image should get you logged in(basically no root password, make SSH keys available with standard client setup as described in LEAP documentation)
https://wiki.microfocus.com/index.php?title=SUSE_Cloud/Images

And the following 3rd party tutorial for building an openSUSE cloud image
http://openpower.ic.unicamp.br/blog/opensuse-tutorial.html

Or,
Although I haven’t tried it, if you install a CAASP/Docker container running openSUSE, then the method for accessing the container can be different than logging in locally (assuming you have Administrative access to Openstack).

In general though, I’ve seen nothing that would likely motivate me to alter my personal preference for building my own image rather than using a pre-built “as is.”

In any case, I’m sure those that follow behind you would appreciate if you submit a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org describing the lack of documentation to use Cloud pre-built images.

HTH,
TSU

Thanks tsu2! I initially tried building my own image from the generic iso using VirtualBox and then converting to qcow2, but I ran into issues after uploading to OpenStack because it was trying to find a disk by UUID. After a few minutes of trying to edit different files to overcome that without success, I reverted to the pre-built cloud images.

After some more googling, I was able to set a password by using a user-data file.

The file was like this:

#cloud-config
user: opensuse
ssh_pwauth: True
chpasswd:
  list: |
     root:opensuse
     opensuse:$6$iAnB3Ew86b$kuiJQbuoZv1wm1aUrqxkyaIBFitoNnAdMEfAnRaNHIwLheynfmlsbLce8XAEkLjKJd.3ov6K9y661g7iTM.vZ0
  expire: False

And I used that file by passing the file path to the --user-data option of nova boot.

nova boot --flavor m1.medium --nic net-id=<my network's UUID> --user-data /tmp/user-data --image OpenSuseLeap15dot1 --key-name <my-key-name> OpenSUSE_UtilityServer

Then I was able to use that password to log in via console. I fired up yast2 and set the IP address to static using the IP assigned by neutron, then I added a route for the default gateway and I could ssh into it.

I’m going to take a look at the sites you posted, since I agree that building my own image is a saner way to start. But at least I’m up and running for the time being.

Thanks!

Glad to hear you found a working solution and thx for posting it!

When you build a machine in any virtualization (including Virtualbox), you can specify the disk format.
But, I wouldn’t build my Openstack VM in Virtualbox, although it might work I wouldn’t trust it since Openstack doesn’t support Virtualbox AFAIK… QCOW disk formats will generally run in KVM or Xen on Openstack.

TSU