Open Suse 12.1 Installation Issue

Hi Team,

I am new to Linux and I am trying to install OpenSuse 12.1 in a brand new hardware - i7-4770, 3.4 GHz, 32GB RAM, 2 TB HDD using the DVD. This was provided by my company’s server team and they have done the checksums.

The installation gets stuck with the message “starting udev… udevd[155]: /sbin/modprobe -bv pci:<some values here>[163] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)”.

I can see this message only when I choose the text mode during installation. In video mode, the screen just gets stuck at a blank OpenSuse Logo screen.

After checking the other posts in this forum, I tried to install with boot option nomodeset, but no luck with that as well. Can anybody think of other options I can try please?

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Suman

As opeenSUSE 12.1 is already a long time (since 2013-05-5) out of support:
. not very many people here do have it available and thus can give you first hand information;
. it is very much possible it fails on the newest hardware;
. it is of course in general not advisable to install an old unsupported version, no security update since it was depricated, not something most people would like to have running.

So why not download and try to install openSUSE 13.2?

Thanks. I shall try to do that and see if it works. The software product that I want to install on top of Linux is compatible with OpenSuse 12.1, hence this version.