Open OpenSUSE without logging

Hello guys

I just installed Leap 42.2 and would like to know how to remove the login screen that appears when I start the system.
I would also like to know where I set the size of the destop icons

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
I guess you mean autologin? If you start YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor then Desktop -> Display manager and in the entry DISPLAYMANAGER_AUTOLOGIN set you username here and press the OK button and should be good to go :slight_smile:

Depends on the desktop environment your using, so forum users need to know this, eg GNOME, XFCE etc.

I misunderstood. I want that when turning on the computer does not appear the login screen and go straight to my deskop

Depends on the desktop environment your using, so forum users need to know this, eg GNOME, XFCE etc.

I’m using KDE. How do I decrease the size of deskop icons?

Then as posted will work for you :slight_smile:

Not sure, I don’t use KDE, but would thing in the desktop settings somewhere… (others should point you in the right place)

If you mean the icons on the desktop directly, i.e. the files contained in the ~/Desktop/ folder, then just right-click on an empty space (or left-click on the toolbox icon in the top-left corner of the screen) and choose “Configure Desktop”.
There’s an option to change the icon size there.

If that doesn’t help, please clarify what icons you mean exactly, maybe by posting a screenshot.

Dear Josemanoel. In order for you to start OpenSuse on a computer without having to log in, make the following YaST setup

YaST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor -> Desktop -> Display manager -> DISPLAYMANAGER ->sddm

I would also like to know where I set the size of the destop icons

With the mouse pointer over the icon, hold down the left button until a small window and will appears a feature to resize the icon.
But you will have to do this on each icon.
I’ve never found a way to resize them all at the same time.
I think this desktop was very bad, in the past it was much better.

Wrong.
Every display manager (except xdm) supports auto login. And changing the display manager doesn’t change the auto login settings.

Btw, sddm is the default on a KDE installation anyway.

With the mouse pointer over the icon, hold down the left button until a small window and will appears a feature to resize the icon.

That’s only true for icon (or other) widgets, not for the folder view that’s used by default for showing the contents of “~/Desktop/” since 4.1 (released nearly ten years ago).

PS: that you need to press and hold the left mouse button on widgets to modify them is indeed a “recent” change.
It’s configurable though (in the desktop settings reachable via right-clicking on the desktop or left-clicking on the toolbox icon in the upper-left corner). That option exists since 5.0 or 5.1, only the default has changed in 5.5 (IIRC) about 1.5 years ago.

Personally, I find that much better as you don’t get those handle appearing all the time when you move the mouse over the desktop…
It’s probably not as discoverable though.

But in 5.10 the handles of all widgets will appear automatically if you click on the toolbox icon in the upper-left corner. :wink:

Just lock the widgets and no handles appear :wink:

Yes, but you’d need to do that manually, and then unlock them again for any change you want to make.
I don’t want to lock them particularly because I like to be able to create notes widgets by just marking some text anywhere and then middle-clicking on the desktop. :wink:

The current solution is much nicer IMHO, but as I wrote you can turn this off and return to the old behavior (handles appearing whenever you move the mouse over a widget) if you prefer.

Btw, 5.10 will bring another nice (I think) improvement: it will be possible to resize desktop widgets like normal windows, by grabbing them at some edge/corner.

The OP may be interested in start button - settings - system settings as lots of other desktop settings can be changed there as well as icon size. It should be called kde setting really but some more system like things can be done there.

However I was some what disappointed when I reduced the size of desktop folders and icons - the spacing can’t be changed so reducing the size didn’t have the desired effect.

On greeters - I suspect that it might pay to remain with SDDM in the long run. :wink: Or people may find themselves changing back to it eventually.

John

In my case, after installing openSuse leap 42.1, I had to do login and password to use my PC.
Without ever having made changes before, this was the configuration of my YaST:
YaST -> System -> / etc / sysconfig Editor -> Desktop -> Display manager -> DISPLAYMANAGER -> kdm

So, at least in my case, sddm is *** NOT *** the default on KDE installation anyway.

To verify, I configured again “kdm” and after restarting my PC appeared the screen to enter login and password

About this fact, let’s hope that Mr. Jose Manoel says something

That’s only true for icon (or other) widgets, not for the folder view that’s used by default for showing the contents of “~/Desktop/” since 4.1 (released nearly ten years ago).

Oh yes of course, there is a lot of confusion about the differences between icon and * widgets *. I personally think widgets came to disturb, because the icons do their job very well.

sddm is the default on a KDE installation since 42.1.

But if you upgrade, the display manager is not changed, and kdm was the default in 13.2 and earlier.

To verify, I configured again “kdm” and after restarting my PC appeared the screen to enter login and password

Are you sure that it’s kdm?
Probably kdm is not installed, and xdm is used as fallback.

kdm does support Auto-login, and I do have it working here.

Oh yes of course, there is a lot of confusion about the differences between icon and * widgets *. I personally think widgets came to disturb, because the icons do their job very well.

Icons do a different “job” than widgets.

But my point was that there hasn’t been any change in this regard in the last 10 years since Plasma 4.1 (Plasma 4.0 didn’t have a folderview widget yet, so didn’t support displaying icons “directly” at all, you had to use icon widgets).

And btw, even KDE3 already offered desktop widgets via superkaramba.

You’re right. I noticed that kdm was not installed on my Leap 42.1
But autologin did not work after I did the installation of Leap 42., and had no warning that kdm was not installed.
To try to solve it, I did several tests and autologin worked when I used sddm. So, I had no doubts that to have autologin myself and the rest of the world should use sddm.
But, you’re right, after install kdm autologin works well, although I did not know the difference in using any of them.
Thanks for your time

Icons do a different “job” than widgets.

But my point was that there hasn’t been any change in this regard in the last 10 years since Plasma 4.1 (Plasma 4.0 didn’t have a folderview widget yet, so didn’t support displaying icons “directly” at all, you had to use icon widgets).

And btw, even KDE3 already offered desktop widgets via superkaramba.

About icons, I just complaint that before was easier to change everything that was inside them

And what exactly does “change everything that was inside them” mean?

If you are talking about the properties dialog, yes that was missing for icon widgets, but it’s back in Plasma 5.9.
It always worked for icons in a folderview.

Thanks and sorry for the delay, now the auto login is working, just do what you suggested.

I’ve never found a way to resize them all at the same time.
I think this desktop was very bad, in the past it was much better.
Here holding the left button pressed on any icon does nothing. And now?

Icon or widget?

Does make a difference.

It works on widgets NOT on Icons also need to unlock widgets if locked right click on desktop and select unlock widgets if set to locked

Then you probably mean the icons directly displayed on the desktop, I suppose.

Have you read my first reply in this thread?
I’ll quote it here again for clarification: