Ok to remove pre-installed applications?

There’s a whole bunch of stuff I don’t use that came bundled with Leap. Is it safe to remove them? KMail, KTorrent, KOrganizer, Kontact basically anything that starts with a K :slight_smile:

They’re part of KDE’s Plasma Desktop. Most things starting with “K” are. So, this makes me wonder why Plasma5 is your desktop of choice?
FIrst, these packages being installed won’t hurt your system. Uninstalling them may break the overall integrated aspects of KDE. I don’t use a whole bunch of the programs either, but just leave them where they are. And sometimes I need something to find out it’s already there and nicely “talks” to the rest of the desktop :).
Second, it’s up to you. Your installed system is yours, you can make it as minimal as you want. You’ll run into dependency matters when uinstalling, but that’s a good bit of learning how package management works, so no lost time.

I’ve removed plenty of “default apps” over the years without a problem…

The only minor gothcha is that you can only remove them after install.
There is no benefit to specifying that those apps won’t be included during the initial install, if you do so and watch your install you’ll see the apps installed and then removed so there’s no time saved and less disk space used. I’ve speculated(unverified) that this likely is because a pre-loaded image of the desktop is being loaded (a big time saving approach) which forces all default apps.

Depending on what is left after you remove apps, you might also consider an alternative approach to removing apps… start with a Desktop with fewer default installed apps. Your choices:

Minimal X - This is the barest of Desktops, it’s simply a window manager and the only installed app is a console. Add apps to taste. Build or install your own automation.

**LXDE **- On openSUSE, the LXDE Desktop has a kind of KDE feel without all the KDE helper apps. Under the surface and some specific apps though, LXDE today uses components which are more typical of a Gnome Desktop.

XFCE - If you’re looking for a slimmed down Gnome, the openSUSE default install of XFCE has a kind of Gnome feel.

openSUSE supports many more Desktops, but others are typically considered for reasons other than fewer apps installed.

Note that in general, apps you may choose to install generally are reliant on either Gnome or KDE libraries, so if you intend to install a number of apps you should start with something other than MinimalX so that the apps you start with use the same libraries.

HTH,
TSU

There’s certainly many aspects to KDE… configuration of widgets, panels, themes, file associations, etc. that I enjoy and don’t have anything to do with the apps running on top. I use Thunderbird, qBitTorrent, etc. I mostly just don’t want to see all of these unused alternatives that I don’t use cluttering my menus, although I suppose I could just delete them from there.

Also, the list of pre-installed apps seems much leaner in Tumbleweed (and even Kubuntu) when compared to Leap, so I don’t think they are necessarily required by KDE… Mainly, I just wondered if they might cause issues with upgrades/patches in the future?

There is a difference if you as system manager do not want these applications to be available to your users, or if you as a user (or any other user) does not like those applications show in your Kmenu. In the last case the user can simply remove the entries of course.

Would it be better to leave the K* apps but remove the others? Amazon Downloader, Skanlite/Acquire Images, Akregator, Choqok, IcedTea, etc.

There’s no real problem removing the applications, K or otherwise, but the libraries that are listed with them (in yast) are often shared and needed. I use most of the KDE software available but I don’t use Konquerer, for example, so I remove it (and use Rekonq). But when you come to remove the libkonq5 library Kfind and Konsole are affected, both of which I use.

I’d be guided by what Yast tells you. If you see the following I would think long and hard.

http://s8.postimg.org/fe3c50gqp/warn.jpg](http://postimg.org/image/fe3c50gqp/)

We can not tell you what “would be better”. Better for what or for whom.
As you see, most of your fellow users here feel no urge to do what you seem eager to do. Thus they have no experience and thus can not tell you about their experience.

As said, when the main reason is that a user wants the unused entries removed from the desktop, (s)he can do so. That belongs to “customising the desktop”. No chance to bork the system (or hinder other users), it is al in that user’s realm.

When you want to remove some program, like david_banner says, just check it for removal in YaST and see if YaST protests and shows dependancies that will break. Then decide. It is your system.

Come on now - there’s certainly got to be some best practices that when followed would lead an openSuse user to have a more positive experience.

I know that I probably COULD nuke the entire /etc folder, but if my goal is to allow my system to continue to operate, that’s not exactly a best practice, right?

I basically wanted to know what sort of headaches I might run into, if any, if I started removing these things. Broken file associations, applications that expected another application to be installed (that yast/zipper didn’t know about), broken official patches down the road, etc.

Thanks for the input.

If in the process of removing an app your remove some dependency that the system or desktop need you have shot your foot.

Can you remove things? Sure no problem but in the process it can also remove things you may need else where. Yast and zypper are good at warning you but some things may not be obvious. If you ignore warnings then you may walk with a limp :stuck_out_tongue:

@transFusion,

Recommend you take another look at what I posted eariler.
Choosing a Desktop means choosing a particular ecology of applications with underlying shared functionality.
You can remove the higher level apps without problem, but should leave the underlying libraries in place (usually) because other apps typically installed in that Desktop often will need that same functionality elsewhere. It’s a spiderweb of intertwined functionality that has been used to provide reliable functionality (the required apps, particularly in KDE any of the so-called “K” apps).

When you remove an app, your package manager will tell you what part you might remove but also what parts would be dangerous to remove because of consequences to other apps. Your decision is your own, and you generally are recommended one option over others.

This is why in my earlier post I described the alternative to start with less and add instead of starting with max installed and then deciding to remove. When you start with less and add pieces one at a time particularly if you are reasonably technical and only use a few apps of your own choosing, the result is a lot less messy, creating and maintaining a lean system.

If you already have a max Desktop like KDE installed and want to change strategy to using a lighter Desktop, you can

• Re-install, but select the install to mount your existing /home partition instead of creating new. I’ve done this and it worked very well. If you do this, you can manually (and optionally) clean up old settings related to your older Desktop after your new Desktop is verified running fine.
  • Almost as good, you can probably simply install a new Desktop, and then remove your old Desktop using Desktop “Patterns.” A Pattern is a Package Group defined as a single package name. You can find Patterns to install and sometimes remove(Doesn’t always work as expected) groups of packages, like all the packages that define a Desktop. Note that from what I’ve seen that no matter how many Desktops you install and likely remove that the original Display Manager used by the first installed Desktop is used throughout and will persist.

TSU

Thanks, I appreciate it, but I don’t think I want to switch desktop managers. The customization options in Gnome appear to be pretty limited, and the others have a very dated appearance across the board - icons, window borders, etc. I like the customization options and modern look of KDE. Perhaps I can get that with one of the other desktop managers and I just didn’t put in enough time, though.

I do like the smaller utilities in KDE… KCalc does what is supposed to. So does the color picker, and the ruler, etc. But there are many applications that I have familiarity with on other platforms that I prefer to those bundled. And there are applications pre-installed that I will never use - I have never downloaded music from Amazon and I never plan to. I don’t use Twitter so I don’t need a Twitter client. I don’t want to have to continue to update and maintain these installations.

I guess I will take the recommendation of those here and leave them all to avoid a headache. I did find that I can pretty easily hide/unhide them from the Application Menu by right clicking on them, at least.

Well, I decided to take a backup of the drive and start pruning.

Like you guys said, a lot of the back end stuff had to remain… So I removed the UI for KTorrent but I still had to keep the backend for KGet. Dragon Player is required by the base plasma pattern so I had to leave it. The konqueror backend is required for Gwenview and a few others. Most of the stuff that I felt was clutter actually seems baked into KDE so there is no package to remove - Sieve Editor, Contact Theme Editor, Kmail Message Header Editor, KNetAttach, Cloud Storage Manager. Kmail uninstalled cleanly but there seem to be hardcoded references to it in Yast so it kind of seems weird to have, for instance, radio button options for an app that doesn’t exist on the system any more. And looking in the /usr/bin folder, I can see I really didn’t scratch the surface of apps installed on the system.

Overall, it didn’t feel very satisfying.

I was able to remove the following…
amarok
amarok-lang
choqok
skanlite
skanlite-doc
libKF5Sane5
kipi-plugins-acquireimage
kmail
kontact
konqueror
konqueror-plugins
kdebas4-libkonq
korganizer
kaddressbook
kopete
ktorrent
ktorrent-lang

That is why we said that just leave it it just take a small amount of disk space and you don’t have to run these programs. If you don’t want to see them remove them from the menu.

Take a good read on “patterns” in zypper / openSUSE. You may run into a situation where an update session triggers reinstall of the removed packages since their “patterns” package is still installed, either as a dependency or as a recommend.

Hi

After nearly one year of experimenting with the Leap42.1 as an upgrade from OpenSuse13.2, I have probably found a way out of the dilemma: With Yast, I unloaded plasma5-packages and some breeze-packages. Now, my desktop is again the desktop, that I know from 13.2. But I am not sure, weather this is a stable approach. It might turn out, that some dependencies are broken. But at least I am getting rid of most of the bad features of plasma5. Unfortunately, the switching between MiB and MB does not work, even if the “Country/Region and Language”-Settings do show the old KDE4-View, where I can select Metric Units instead of JEDEC Units. But Dolphin does not switch as under 13.2.

If this removal is acceptable, it might be a way for me, to go from 13.2 to 42.1. (Up to now I was not willing to switch). I will make more experiments with this “stripped” 42.1.

Can the experts comment on this way of getting rid of plasma5? Could one upgrade the 13.2 and at the same time avoiding the upgrade to plasma5?

greetings wippi