Ok... So What Do Us Wide-Screen Users Do???

Now come on Suse programmers!..

You would have thought that out of all the distro’s that Suse would have come through on this one!

I mean… what’s up???

Are you not aware of the current hardware available on the market today???

hu hu huuh… (clearing throat)

I mean… really…

WIDE SCREEN COMPARABILITY ANYONE???

The way it is now at 1280x1024, I have to squint to read everything.

I am getting a headache already and I just booted up on the live disk!!

I don’t mean to be a jerk… but of all distro’s not being compatible with the now affordable wide screens people are snatching up like crazy… I would have thought Suse would have programmed this in immediately.

Or is that they figure all Linux users are broke ***** ********* and who the heck cares about wide screens???

I’m just dumb-founded over this simple little addition that they seem to forget about! >:(

I agree in that it would be nice for sax2 to be able to handle wide screen options, but a lot seems to come down to how well the hardware EDID behaves with Xorg and various graphics drivers. What graphics chipset do you have? What dispaly device?

Integrated NVidia GForce 8200

And a 19" AOC wide screen @ 1440x900 Res

EDIT: BTW, I just came off PCLinuxOS and they have my resolution intact and also their INTERNET wifi connection is one of the strongest I have seen in any distro. But they have too many other issues that need to be worked out and I have tried that OS on 3 different systems.

But really, Suse should be in the lead with all this stuff!

My Acer eMachine has a widescreen format which was detected and is extremely easy to read. The change in clarity from my old Acer Travelmate is quite stunning.

What have you tried thus far in openSUSE to get your Integrated NVidia GForce 8200 working with your 19" AOC wide screen @ 1440x900 Res ? What driver are you using? What openSUSE version are you using? What desktop are you using ? (gnome ? kde3 ? kde4 ? ).

Its possible the users on our forum can help you, but we need that information in order to help.

I am using the latest candidate release.

GNOME

What driver? Whatever driver loaded while running the Live cd.

Funny thing… I just booted up in the latest Ubuntu and IT recognized my resolution in the live cd right away!

I do however very much like Suse’s version of Gnome better than Ubuntu’s, but whatever works gets installed on my drive!

ok, then I assume that means openSUSE-11.2 RC1.

That does not help much, other than rule out the proprietary graphic driver from Nvidia as openSUSE (unlike some other distributions) does NOT package proprietary graphic drivers.

If you copy and paste the following into a terminal (note it is case sensitive) we will be able to tell what graphic driver

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --gfxcard | grep Driver 
  • if it says “nvidia” then its proprietary.
  • if it says “nv” then its the open GL driver
  • if it says “vesa” then its the vesa driver

hmmm … not so unusual. Ubuntu do not follow the open source philosophy as close as openSUSE hence its possible they packaged a proprietary driver via the liveCD.

I can not help but get the sense that you installed openSUSE-11.2 RC1 in the intent to use it as a desktop now, as opposed to test it to support the fixing of bugs. We are happy to welcome you in openSUSE, but IMHO you have crippled your openSUSE experience to start with by choosing a version of openSUSE that is not ready for users with your experience. … But maybe I’m wrong.

Anyway, if your driver is the VESA driver, and if know how to boot to run level-3 (do this by typing “3” (no quotes) in the grub boot menu option line after the other options - just press “3” to do that when grub appears), you could login as a regular user, type ‘su’ to switch to root, and run “sax2” to reconfigure the graphics.

For example
sax2 -r
for an auto config that may fail.
sax2 -r -m 0=vesa**
to configure the vesa driver (where that is zero equals vesa)

sax2 -r -m 0=nv
to configure the nvidia open GL driver (which is NOT the proprietary driver).

If anyone of those work, you can stop and not check out the others. The sax2 command will create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that will over ride the graphics autoconfigure in openSUSE-11.2 RC1.

when given the opportunity to change the resolution, you can do so to pick the one you want. If openSUSE is installed, after running sax2 you can reboot, or if openSUSE is not installed (running from a live CD) then after exiting sax2 you can simply type “exit” to get rid of root permissions and then type “startx” to run X window.

Note for the liveCD the user name is “linux” and the password is < enter > . The root password is also < enter>

If you want the best performance you can install the proprietary nvidia driver the “hard way” (which is not hard for an average user, but drives new users up the wall): NVIDIA/The hard way - openSUSE

Note we have a stickie that we ask new users to look at: NEW Users - Suse-11.1 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Still, I can not help but get the feeling that you have crippled and biased your openSUSE experience by installing an openSUSE version that is NOT ready for the general public. For the best experience, one should wait until a few months AFTER 11.2 GM is released, which will be in Feb or March next year.

I think the OP is running a LIVE CD, and wondering why his monitor does not auto-detect this pre-install, ??

Funny because 11.1 and 11.2RC work fine with my 2560x1600 and 1920x1200 with the nVidia driver.

Looks like a troll, smells like a troll.

> Looks like a troll, smells like a troll.

and writes in originating post: “I don’t mean to be a jerk” and then proceeds ****…

palladium

And also uses this line in most of his threads so please someone ban this ******** before I **** his *** out of the nearest window… :wink:

I’m disappointed about the number posts here being snarky wrt someone else’s frustration. Why not offer helpful technical advise, and let them choose to ignore it, as opposed to show how unreceptive some in our membership can be to another users frustration ?

I don’t mind giving advice but when I see a user like this, creating threads all over the place (just check the posts he created) saying how bad openSUSE is because <insert fake problem here> and how good <insert other Linux distro here> is in handling this problem out of the box I get suspicious. I would like these users to be banned. That’s what forum mods are supposed to do.

This community is to nice to be messed up by trolls like that.

I believe it far more effective to give such users the advice they need to fix their system. If there is no response to the advice, then that says all that is needed to be said. But to have a number of snarky replies does not reflect well on the community.

What ? … ban everyone who is critical of openSUSE ? Ban everyone who points out that another Linux may have a neat way of doing something that they think openSUSE does not? I think it more productive to listen to their frustration, and offer polite advice in return. I don’t like forums (like some that I know) that go banning users at the slightest drop of a hat.

We do ban spammers quickly (we have a very low tolerance there). And on occasion we have suspended memberships for varying time frames and banned other users. But overall, we are in no rush to ban users just because they are frustrated in a very small number of posts …

What gets messy is the flames that are thrown back by our openSUSE fans. I’m a big openSUSE fan, and I can relate to the distaste that such frustrated rants by new members can cause in an openSUSE fan and in an established openSUSE user (who has things sorted and see’s such rants as disinformation). But I am now of the opinion that a rant or snarky reply in return (to a new user) accomplishes little. Its better IMHO to just point politely the technical solution or inaccuracy of their post.

Again, I think it important that we be receptive to criticism. Most of it may be way off the mark but that does not mean we should not listen.

BTW, openSUSE is a leader but no distro leads on every component. PCLOS is one of the best on hardware detection by reputation. As your comment implies, they don’t get the same results on every component. I recommend you seriously consider the questions and help being offered by oldcpu. Please knock off the attitude as it will get in the way of a solution to your problem.

Many distributions use a lower resolution on livecd, but improve on the install, but that is just my experience and opinion. :slight_smile:

YOU ARE A FREAK A$$ MORON!!! rotfl!

It’s people like YOU calling others a troll because you feel like a loser yourself and feel the need to belittle others so you can feel good about yourself!!

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!!! MORON!!! rotfl!

What system have you got? All resolutions should be detected properly by OpenSUSE when you use the correct drivers and it can be set manually when you install without using automatic configuration.

P.S. It’s ok, I don’t think anyone saw your post where you called Chrysantine something nasty because you deleted it very quickly. So quick I couldn’t reply. :wink:

In case anyone notices missing posts, my finger is on the delete button for any inappropriate posts in this thread.

That answers my question :wink:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Maybe laptops are exempt from these issues, but my Dell Latitude D630 has
a wide screen that was detected perfectly… 1440x900. My wife’s HP 6300
(or something like that) is also wide and works w/OpenSUSE 11.1. I doubt
either one helps you but maybe it’s hardware-related… I don’t know.

Good luck.

Ronny49 wrote:
> Now come on Suse programmers!..
>
> You would have thought that out of all the distro’s that Suse would
> have come through on this one!
>
> I mean… what’s up???
>
> Are you not aware of the current hardware available on the market
> today???
>
> hu hu huuh… (clearing throat)
>
> I mean… really…
>
> WIDE SCREEN COMPARABILITY ANYONE???
>
> The way it is now at 1280x1024, I have to squint to read everything.
>
> I am getting a headache already and I just booted up on the live
> disk!!
>
> I don’t mean to be a jerk… but of all distro’s not being compatible
> with the now affordable wide screens people are snatching up like
> crazy… I would have thought Suse would have programmed this in
> immediately.
>
> Or is that they figure all Linux users are broke mutha fluckers’s and
> who the heck cares about wide screens???
>
> I’m just dumb-founded over this simple little addition that they seem
> to forget about! >:(
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJK426yAAoJEF+XTK08PnB52awP/1zGkL/JDnpZcziYefooLW4E
k54wsP0SB/PzoDARp6rkoutT7BasPCc4HdUt5K3JM2lCtgd+LBCg/tNWGkDHS6Mq
fdlg+cKgvzPPZskYJWNptTLd/a0wdzRUzgxMALi2Y47YcfrK9J7Sd+k5hjtZ52Yd
UzkcCLLwbO0137X2zWWtlPCGHWSWbgcrUvgUDHO69nS5EsDgTlJs1rru+M74c3H4