Occasional hangs in openSUSE LEAP

I just installed openSUSE LEAP (and did a zypper up and then restarted) and my computer, which ran very fast with no hiccups on 13.2 will now hang for a few seconds every 20 minutes or so. How do I figure out what’s casing the hangs? Is this common for openSUSE LEAP? Does it not run as well as 13.2?

KDE 5.4.3
Kernel 4.1.13-5-default
Processor: 4 x Intel Core i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Memory: 16 GB

It shows that 12.8 GB is free (and it always seems to be around there)

Read complaints about Leap crashing in this forum, and other Linux forums. Most crashes in Leap come because of bugs in nvidia driver, Qt5, Plasma5.

Is this common for openSUSE LEAP?

Yes, especially if you use nvidia driver, Plasma5 and desktop effects.

Does it not run as well as 13.2?

Yes.

Run top to see if something is eating CPU and or memory

I did and I don’t see anything out of the ordinary. Should I just run it in the background and try to view it when there’s a hang (it might not open in time for me to see it when alt-tabbing to it).

That is very disappointing.

I don’t believe there’s anything nVidia here. Checking for graphics card show:

Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Subsystem: Samsung Eletronics Co Ltd Device
Kernel driver in use: i915

What desktop effects can cause the slowdown?

I installed LEAP because 13.2 has a much shorter lifespan for support and after speaking with openSUSE people, I was led to believe LEAP was incredibly stable.

Shut off desktop effect also try adjusting the Desktop effects - advanced - Compositing type to xrandr or at least something different experiment And yes you need to keep top open and view it when thing go sideways.

The opposite is true.

But if you don’t use nvidia graphic card, you have a chance to leap successfully.

Yes, of course. Run it in a separate Konsole window.

This may not be relevant, but still try: watch video from a webcam for a long time, using cheese (original installation is defective, though), wxcam or Skype. Try to resize the window.

Also, use Gnome or other desktop environment.

To me, the most likely reason of your hang ups is Plasma5 + Qt5 (Likely, there is a school of thought somewhere on Earth stating that five is an unlucky number. I tend to believe them now.)