Nvidia GPU wont start Xserver

Hi

I have a new Computer with a Nvidia Geforce 7050 as a second GPU.
I have installed the correct driver from the repo “nvidia” and use the Nomodeset in the kernel parameters.
When I reboot and switch to the nvidia card in the bios as the primary (Im run with the On-board the rest of the time) i don’t get a desktop i just have a command prompt.
When i reboot and switch bad the the On-board the desktop comes back and it all works. im running opensuse 12.1

My Question is Have I got the Xorg.conf right? (see below)
Or is there another issue with I need to fix

Please help it the only thing that doesn’t work on my PC :frowning:

xorg.conf:

nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

nvidia-xconfig: version 304.64 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-12) Tue Oct 30 12:04:46 PDT 2012

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “Layout0”
Screen 0 “Screen0” 0 0
InputDevice “Keyboard0” “CoreKeyboard”
InputDevice “Mouse0” “CorePointer”
EndSection

Section “Files”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/mouse"
Identifier     "Mouse0"
Driver         "mouse"
Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Keyboard0"
Driver         "kbd"

EndSection

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “Monitor0”
VendorName “Unknown”
ModelName “Unknown”
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option “DPMS”
EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “Device0”
Driver “nvidia”
VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “Screen0”
Device “Device0”
Monitor “Monitor0”
DefaultDepth 24
Option “MultiGPU” “on”
SubSection “Display”
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

If you need more info Please Ask

Thank warfarsniper1

So if this a computer where you can enable or disable on board video and you have a nVIDIA video card installed, it does sound like the nVIDIA driver does not load and your internal (Intel?) video is working on a backup driver, if you always have nomodeset loading. Now if this is a Laptop or other PC using the Optimus dual video setup, there is special software called Bumblebee you should use. Else, you need to remove the nVIDIA card and remove the nomodeset command and uninstall the driver or, you need to keep the internal video disabled and make the nVIDIA work. The xorg.conf file is not required, it can be removed and can make things worse if it contains commands that do not work with either video card. Not having this file allows for more automatic switching to the correct video setup, but certainly is worse if you have dual video setups. The nVIDIA driver 304.64 is the latest video driver for your video chipset. If it was me I would try to, switch to internal video, remove the xorg.conf file, I would remove the NVIDIA repo, its not working anyway, uninstall the nvidia driver, download the latest driver from the nVIDIA Web site (304.64) and load it the hard way. I have info on doing this.

https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/installing-nvidia-video-driver-hard-way-29/

AND

https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/lnvhw-load-nvidia-driver-hard-way-runlevel-3-version-1-10-32/

Another option is to enable the nVIDIA video, disable the internal video and reinstall openSUSE. Since it may be hard to undo everything you have done, a reinstall might work better as I have had good luck with the built-in nVIDIA video support. This is an older video card, which may be why you are having issues, but its hard to tell for sure. Having dual video enabled does not work well with openSUSE at present either.

Thank You,

Hi

Thanks for the Reply :slight_smile:

I am going to try installing it the hard way (that not very hard ;))
The reason i have the nomodeset on is because it was recommended when installing the driver, without it the display is really fuzzy ever in text mode.
I will give it a go using your scrips and deleting the xorg.conf files.

I will get back to you on how it goes

Thanks

OK, that is just fine and good luck. If you get stuck, please come back and ask for more help.

Thank You,