nVidia GeForce 7600GO

Good day to all.

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi1556 laptop with nVidia GeForce 7600 GO graphic card. I’ve decided to insall 12.3 openSUSE, but video drivers are not building. I’ve tried the drivers from the repositories nothing happens, I’ve followed nVidia the hard way tutorial then I get a message Kernel can not build nvidia kernel module and it quits. then I again tried the repo version but from console and there I’ve seen the same message.

Is that a kernel or a graphic card issue?

Hi, to be honest, there’s quite a lot to guess.
One of the driver packages from the repo should work, though I remember the 7600 GO is a special kind of thing. Should work though.

Install the driver through the repos, then post output of the command below, between CODE tags, the # in the editor

rpm -qa | grep nvidia && rpm -qa | grep kernel-

Well, what’s the whole message that you get? I doubt that it’s just “Kernel can not build nvidia kernel module”.

Anyway, you need some development packages like gcc and make installed to build the kernel module. But they should be installed automatically if you install the driver rpms from the repo with YaST or zypper. (how did you try to install them?)

And please post the output of:

rpm -qa | grep kernel
rpm -qa | grep nvidia

Which version of the driver are you trying to install? For your card you need the G02 (304.xxx) version. Although the wrong version shouldn’t cause the “can not build” message, only the driver would just not work after installing it.

I’ve tried both ways, through repositories via Yast and when that failed I’ve tried the hard way, with make, gcc, kernel devel, kernel source intalled. The same problem I had with my nVidia 8600GT card in my desktop PC, it didn’t recognize the card upon installation through yast, but the hard way works fine.

Yes 7600GO is a funny piece of hardware, I’ll wait for 13.1 to test openSUSE on laptop again, for now I’ve settled with mint on laptop and openSUSE on desktop.

Thanks for helping out.

Sincerely,

Casperius

YaST doesn’t have to recognize your card.
Just tell him to install the correct packages and everything should work.

Yes 7600GO is a funny piece of hardware, I’ll wait for 13.1 to test openSUSE on laptop again, for now I’ve settled with mint on laptop and openSUSE on desktop.

When compiling the kernel module fails, this has absolutely nothing to do with your particular gfx card model.
I can compile it fine here on my system, and I don’t even have an nvidia card… :wink:

So, if you want to get help, please post the full error message. And the output of those commands we asked for earlier.

And another thing: you don’t need kernel-source. But you need kernel-devel and kernel-desktop-devel (if you’re using kernel-desktop).
But as I already said, if you install the RPMs, all needed stuff should be installed automatically.

Perhaps this is an alternative method - use care in selecting which one click is used.

SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

After driver loading completes, don’t forget to restart your system.

Rather then using the one-click just add the link to your Yast Software Repositories. It’s a cleaner way of controlling your repos.