Nvidia G02 Driver not supporting GeForce Go 6800 Ultra

I have an Alienware laptop with a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra card. I have been using the G02 driver. The lats two driver update from Nvidia do not support this card. I have to install the G01 driver to get graphics working. I have seen problems like this in the past, but it was always fixed on the next driver update, this is now two in a row. The G02 is for 6800 and higher, and the G01 is for all cards before the 6800.

Marvin:~ # lspci |grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41.9 [GeForce Go 6800 Ultra] (rev a2)
Marvin:~ # rpm -qa|grep -i nvidia
nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-173.14.31_k2.6.37.1_1.2-18.1.i586
x11-video-nvidiaG01-173.14.31-19.1.i586

This is from the Xorg.0.log with the G02 driver installed.

56.935] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1:0:0.  Please
    56.935] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     check your system's kernel log for additional error
    56.935] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
    56.935] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     README for additional information.
    56.936] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

Dave W

The nVIDIA driver is all the way up to 295.53 as a stand alone driver. You can continue on with the G01 or try the 295.53 installed the hard way, after you remove the YaST installation. You did not say that the legacy driver was causing any problems which would determine your next step, if any. Here are some added items to look at:

Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.45 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Thank you for the links. I already know how to do the hard way. I was just reporting the problem and was hoping that someone here had a contact with Nvidia to report the problem to them.

Dave

Well, the best nVIDIA can do is to post a newer driver. There is a delay in them showing up in the repositories it would seem. That is why I came up with the SANDI bash script. It will reload the nVIDIA driver for you on kernel updates using dkms which also works with VirtualBox for the same reason to update the kernel when the kernel version changes.

Thank You,