Nvidia 550.90.07 driver causing major issues in Tumbleweed

I’m using an Asus TUF A15 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card, running driver 550.90.07 for the past couple of weeks. I’d been on Xfce, now on KDE after a fresh install because I thought it would be simpler than trying to solve the issues I was having there. Now I’m experiencing a black screen, no cursor, no internet, and lots of the display is simply flickering in and out. For the moment I’m able to boot into my system cleanly by adding nomodeset to grub, but I’d love to open a bug report and get this solved. I just don’t know where to start and where I’d see anything being reported. I’d seen a lot of chatter about this driver causing some issues a couple of weeks ago, but I can’t imagine why it would essentially bork a fresh install. Any recommendations on the logs I can chase? (And I know this may not be an OpenSUSE-specific question per se, but since the system updated based on zypper dup when I was on Xfce and since I’ll be opening a report with OpenSUSE, I decided to post here instead of the Unix SE.)

The packages I’ve installed since reinstalling OpenSUSE this morning:

yehuda@localhost:~> echo $(sudo zypper packages -i | grep i+ | cut -f3 -d"|")
alacritty autokey-qt brave-browser btrfsprogs chrony dav1d dosfstools e2fsprogs ffmpeg-7 firewalld git glibc grub2-x86_64-efi gstreamer-plugins-bad-codecs gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-plugins-libav gstreamer-plugins-ugly-codecs ICAClient irqbalance kde3-kommander kernel-default kexec-tools LibreWolf lshw mokutil NetworkManager numactl nvidia-compute-utils-G06 nvidia-compute-utils-G06 nvme-cli openSUSE-release openSUSE-repos-Tumbleweed-NVIDIA opi os-prober patterns-base-apparmor patterns-base-base patterns-base-enhanced_base patterns-base-x11 patterns-desktop-mobile patterns-kde-kde patterns-yast-x11_yast patterns-yast-yast2_basis pipewire-aptx rpm shim snapper suse-prime tmux vlc-codecs xf86-video-amdgpu zathura

I’m on tumbleweed 20240619 with the easy-way 550.90.07 driver. The hardware is a DIY desktop with a Ryzen 5 5600 in an ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II with an MSI GTX 1650 Super. I’m running X11 with no apparent issues.

In respect to logs, aside from journalctl --boot and dmesg -T, I normally check /home/michael/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

I recently found that with 550.90.07 I seem to be able to remove all my old/established nvidia boot options from the boot line and from /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf.

Possibly this points to something related to the ASUS TUF A15 configuration, presumably a dual GPU system. Perhaps studdy up on who such a system should be configured.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.