Nvida Repo

Is any one else having problems with the Nvidia Repo. Both here and at work and on 10.3 to 11.1 I am getting integrity check failure on repomd.xml. And on 10.3 64 bit, nvidia-gfx-G01-kmp-default lists version 173.14.15_2.6.19_0.1-2.1 in YAST but the file in the repo is version 173.14.16-2.1.

I am not suse if anyone here has a contact with nvidia to let them know the problem.

I just did a kernel update on one of my computers at work and now I have no X becase I can not load nvidia from yast.

Thanks.

Dave

No problem with 11.0 repo.

I have that error too in 11.1
It’s caused by a GnuPG key :\

File repomd.xml from repository NVIDIA Repository
http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1
is signed with the following GnuPG key, but the integrity check failed: 

ID: F5113243C66B6EAE
Fingerprint: 9B76 3D49 D8A5 C892 FC17 8BAC F511 3243 C66B 6EAE
Name: NVIDIA Corporation <linux-bugs@nvidia.com>
Created: 15/06/06
Expires: Never

This means that the file has been changed by accident or by an attacker
since the repository creator signed it. Using it is a big risk
for the integrity and security of your system.

Use it anyway?

whych
I did have a computer here that was 11.0 with Nvidia and it does not get the error on the repo. But I would sugest that you do not refresh your Nvidia driver. Yast shows the version for Nvidia to be 173.14.15-2.6.25.18_0.2-2.1-i586, the repo has version 173.14.16_2.6.25.20_0.1-2.1.i586.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0/i586/

rozbarwinek
Looks like the 11.1 repo was updated.

I still have one 10.3 computer down missing the nvidia driver.

Dave

Update on 11.1 X86_64 repo.

The files in the repo match what is in the repodata, but when I select driver to install I get the following.

YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2009-02-25 06:57:24

nothing provides kernel(default:lib) = 3da5922757d6e24e needed by nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-173.14.16_2.6.27.18_0.3-2.1.x86_64

] do not install nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-173.14.16_2.6.27.18_0.3-2.1.x86_64

YaST2 conflicts list END

The kernel that is installed is 2.6.27.7-9.1-x86_64.

Looking at the version numbers between the kernel and the Nvidia driver it looks like that the nvidia drivers are built for a kernel that has not been released yet.

Dave

The nvidia driver in the repo is for a newer kernel, which is not in the repos yet.

Be patient, the kernel update will hopefully be added soon. I wouldn’t recommend you force install the new driver until the kernel updates become available.

Its not just the 11.1 repo, they have all got problems. Integrity check on repodata failures, files not matching repodata, and now wrong kernel versions.

10.3 11.0 and 11.1 will all fail with an Nvidia update right now. If someone new to openSUSE installed today they could not get Nvida working through repo. Not a good way to start with openSUSE.

I am stopping updates on all of my systems because I don’t want the errors in the nvidia repos to break my computers.

I have lost X on 10.3-64 and 11.1-64 systems. I have been switching more and more computers here at work to openSUSE, and can have them loss X after a kernel update. The of the bigest reasons I have conviced the staff here to switch to openSUSE is becase there was an Nvidia repo and you did not lose X after a kernel update.

Dave

Hi
Why not setup a local update server (would save on bandwidth), surely
your reviewing the updates on a test box before rolling them out?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 20:47, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.40, 0.51
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29

I already do mirror the repo, however that does not solve the problem of Nvidia breaking the repo. Unless I kept two diffent mirrors and only syncd one at a time. The problem with that is I mirror fedora 8-10 cent 4.0-4.7 cent 5.0-5.2 openSUSE 10.3 11.0 and 11.1.

One of the reasons I have used to switch the computers here was that the openSUSE team made sure that updates did not break your system. Now with the Nvidia repo problems, its beware of updates. Just like the fedora and cent disto we have used.

Your asking for a lot of user to do a lot of work when all Nvidia had to do was not break the repos.

Dave

I have just installed openSUSE.

Will nvidia.180.28.run manual install fix this problem?

Hi
Fair comment, but does the end user really need to update the nvidia
driver as soon as it’s available?

AFAIK, the nvidia repos are openSUSE controlled and just hosted by
Nvidia.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 22:00, 2 users, load average: 0.58, 0.34, 0.23
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29

Yes you do manual install, but you need to install the Linux Kernel Development first. This will also install all need compiler tools.

Dave

No, the end user does not need to update as soon as Nvidia releases a new driver.

But you have a lot of users who are not computer people. There icon on the task bar flashes and says you have updates. They get a new kernel with the message “you need to reboot”. And now they no loger have X windows. What is he going to do? Do you think he knows how to use comand line yast to install the kernel source and compiler tools to build a manual Nvidia kernel?

I have two computers that I had to build the Nvidia driver, and I might have more. I have not rebooted some of my systems after I did updates.

The online update tool does not give you a warning saying that the current updates will break your system.

The openSUSE team has done a great job making sure updates dont cause problems. And now Nvidia has changed that. Not once, not twice, but three times. Between 32 and 64 bit atleast one of each version in the Nvidia repo (10.3,11.0,11.1) is broken.

Don’t think about the people useing this forum, they know how to get help to fix the proble. Think about the person who just switched because they heard of how easy openSUSE is to install and update. Which is now nolonger easy.

Dave

Index of /mirrors/opensuse/nvidia/download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1

oh my goodness… This LOL… And I thought I was doing something wrong, becuase I just did the exact same thing on another machine and it worked flawlessly…

I guess this WD HDD really had to start acting up at with really good timing. So i have been without my fancy screen and 3d for two days now. is there any hope that this will get fixed anytime this week?

Cheers

tom_enos:
It’s not Nvidia repo problem. This repo is working but all nvidia drivers seems to by compiled for kernel which is not released for openSUSE 11.1 yet.

I installed openSUSE 11.1 on my new computer few days ago and till now i can’t install nvidia drivers and run 3D graphics :confused:

Please check my post here:
Nvidia 180.29 ready - openSUSE Forums

juik,
You are correct in that the nvidia 11.1 repo passes checksome and gpg checks and that the repodata matches the files in the repo. But that fact that you can not currently install a driver from this repo means, that in the terms of a user, the repo is broken.

10.3 11.0 and 11.1 started having checksum errors on the repodata last week. Now the checksums are clear but in 11.0 and 10.3 the repodata does not match the files in the repo. This is clearly an Nvidia problem.

Now, for 11.1 having the new driver before the new kernel is it an Nvidia mistake or openSUSE. I do not know if the openSUSE team told Nvidia to release on a date and then was not ready themselves. If Nvidia had finished their work early then they should have waited until openSUSE released the new kernel before they updated their repo.

Dave

They should never remove the old KMPs in the first place - nVidia screwed up as usual.