not able to update

Hi, I have searched for “There is no update candidate for libcares2-1.15.0-2.1.x86_64” and cannot find any references to this error when I attempt to update my instance of Tumbleweed.

This error has been occurring for a few weeks now, and I am concerned I am falling too far behind the latest and perhaps safest version of OpenSuse.

Can someone give me a clue on how to solve the issue and return to regular updates?

Most appreciative for any assistance here

Cheers
Peter

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums.

Please always also tell exactly what you are doing and not only refer to a message you get while you are doing that. People can not look over your shoulder and thus you might be doing something completley different from what they do when “you attempt to update my instance of Tumbleweed.”

Best is to copy/paste from the terminal. And then, because you are new here, we have the following:

There is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.

Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

Hi
I see the following (installed);

Information for package libcares2:
----------------------------------
Repository     : Main Repository (OSS)                 
Name           : libcares2                             
Version        : 1.15.0~20191108-1.1  

How are you updating the system, it should be via the command line and running ‘zypper dup’.

Perhaps getting set to a funky repository mirror, do you have only the standard repositories enabled?

I had no idea that I could not use the GUI updater - I have not used “zypper dup” for updating - I do remember using zypper however in connection to trying to get Virtual Box working - as I followed a no. of web instructional tips that used a method to either update something or to remove something as I initially tried to install Virtual Box from the OpenSUSE repos and that failed, so went looking for others solutions including those from Oracle (and they took me round and round in circles - as they would not admit that their links were broken)
In the meantime I have told the GUI updater to ignore libcares2 update so that is still sitting in my updates list as unselected - the other 900+ files were downloaded and seemingly installed.

Do you suggest I go instead to the terminal and use the command you mentioned and never use the GUI tool - i.e. just observe the status in the tool bar and when it reports updates are available - go then to the terminal and run the zypper dup command?

Thank you for your response - as I did not understand the earlier response mentioning that I needed to include some terminal text (as I was not using the terminal to update my system)

Cheers
Peter

ps repos I have enabled here https://imgur.com/wAIqp0w.png

Tumbleweed always is different from LEAP when it comes to “updating” it. Tumbleweed is realesed in a new version for every new snapshot. Thus it is has to be updated like you uodate to a new release. Together with the whish to keep e.g. packages installed from Packman as such, for years the only supported way getting to a new snapshot was

zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

As to many people did not read the documentation and did this wrong, the default for vendor changing was changed for Tumbleweed (but not for LEAP). Since that change it is OK to do

zypper dup

The Applet you refer to is the result of a project to offer a single interface for software installation regardless of the distribution. So that you do and see the same things on openSUSE and Ubuntu, etc. This is called PackageKit. While in the beginning PackageKit did have problems in doing things correctly, that seems to be a thing of the past in most cases. But many openSUSE users still use either zypper or YaST because both are native openSUSE tools they used for years, and that are maintained by openSUSE developers and are such an integral part of openSUSE.

The Applet always did the equivalent of

zypper up

which, as you will understand by now, was completely wrong on Tumbleweed. First thing that was done to tell people they were doing things wrong was that the Applet on Tumbleweed gave a message telling that one should do zypper dup. I think at the moment the Applet is changed to do zypper dup equivalent.

So, while it could be that the Applet does do things pretty correct nowadays, not many people here use it. Thus if you have any problem, you better report it with the output of zypper commands. That is something most will be used to, which makes helping much easier.

And no, your image about the repos is not very useful, it shows only local names, etc. Most important thing of a repo is it’s URI. Where is it? That can be shown with

zypper lr -d

And please do so uising CODE tags, like this description:

There is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.

Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

Hello everyone, excuse me for a noob question, I’m a relatively new user to OpenSuSE Tumbleweed, but since yesterday I’m also unable to update. Command

sudo zypper up

, as well as

sudo zypper dup

returns the following error: Retrieving: liblastfm5-1-1.0.9+20150206-19.31.x86_64.rpm …[not found]
File ‘./x86_64/liblastfm5-1-1.0.9+20150206-19.31.x86_64.rpm’ not found on medium ‘https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_Factory/’. Disabling the QT5 repository and falling back to the default repositories does not help, that package still not found. What am I doing wrong?

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums.

Please, please, you have another error then the OP her. Thus create your own thread. Only so can we help you efficient without getting a mess of answers to two different problems. In the end nobody will know anymore which post
belongs to which problem :frowning:

And when you start the new thread, please copy command and output between the code tags. Else things become unreadable.