Noise when shutdown

Hello,

I post here beacause iI think it’s a problem with the configuration of my soundcard but maybe it’s only a software problem.

I am on opensuse 11.2 and sometimes when I shutdown the computer, It make a noise like “bzzz” but different than error beep. I think maybe there is a problem withe the automatic detection at the boot, but I really don’t know alsa configuration or udev rules very well.

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfc400000 irq 22
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xcfeec000 irq 17

$ lspci  | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730

You might want to read through this post where another user, using the Gnome desktop, had a similar problem. It might be worth a look through.

Weird noise at shutdown or reboot

Thank You,

Thank you for the link but it’s different for me because i am running pulseaudio so I have only the entry pulseaudio in alsamixer.

So, you have sound for normal openSUSE operation, but at shutdown, you get a buzz? So, how are you connecting to your speakers? I see that you have an HDMI option. What desktop are you using (KDE or GNOME). I normally disable pulseaudio as I have had other issues with it, though not a buzz at shutdown.

Thank You,

ok, some precisions : Yes the sound works for every normal operations. I have Gnome desktop environnement. I am on a laptop so I don’t touch the connection to the speakers. Normaly HDMI is not the default sound card. Pulseaudio is working good and add some greats features so I don’t want to uninstall it. But the buzz is not here at each shutdown, sometime there is no buzz, that is the weird point.

Don’t hesitate to ask more precisions if you need :slight_smile:

So, when sound is working, the normal tests for sound cards don’t apply, since, sound is working. I might wonder if you plugged in a set of headphones, if you would hear this buzz in the headphones while the laptop was silent? What brand of Laptop do we have? Have you updated the internal BIOS to the latest version or checked the laptop version to the online latest version? While I have not updated a Laptop BIOS to fix a sound problem, I have done so to get the internal cooling system to work right, which might make or cause an odd sound to be heard. You really need to know the sound comes from the speakers and not from the hard drive or CPU fan. Finally, check your sound file configuration selection to make sure there is not some error sound that creates that buzz you hear.

Thank You,

I don’t hear any buzz when I plug a set of headphone.
Its a Dell laptop (XPS studio 16), and I have not flashed the BIOS.

check your sound file configuration selection to make sure there is not some error sound that creates that buzz you hear.

I need help for this part :stuck_out_tongue:

On 2010-07-04 14:36 GMT ninkitty wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> I post here beacause iI think it’s a problem with the configuration of
> my soundcard but maybe it’s only a software problem.
>
> I am on opensuse 11.2 and sometimes when I shutdown the computer, It
> make a noise like “bzzz” but different than error beep. I think maybe
> there is a problem withe the automatic detection at the boot, but I
> really don’t know alsa configuration or udev rules very well.
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> HDA Intel at 0xfc400000 irq 22

I have that same hardware, and indeed it makes a sound when powering
off or restarting.

> $ lspci | grep -i audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD
> Audio Controller (rev 03) 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc
> RV710/730

“hwinfo --sound” could say something more. Mine is an 828011 (ICH9
Family) HD Audio Controller, from Hewlet Packard

But really, I don’t care about that noise, it is irrelevant for me. Try
11.3, I think it doesn’t have it, not sure.

This is a problem for developers, it is a bug or side effect, not a
configuration problem that we can solve - IMO.

Not important. A curiosity :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))