No welcome screen of the installer on UEFI mode

Hi guys,
I wanted to switch from Ubuntu to openSUSE, so I downloaded the iso image of the newest stable openSUSE version from here:

https://software.opensuse.org/421/en

then I installed the iso into my USB drive using dd:

dd if=/path/to/opensuseimage.iso of=/dev/sdb1

I restarted my laptop, I plugged the USB in and, instead of openSUSE installator’s welcome screen, I saw 2.0.x grub in command line mode with this information: Minimal bash-like line editing is supported.

I did a little research and it turned out such message may come up when the bootloader on a drive requires UEFI to work. I turned security mode in my BIOS on to support UEFI, I restarted the laptop again and I saw this message: unknown filesystem (and the grub entered rescue mode).

When I triggered the ls command on each found drive, the ‘unknown filesystem’ message appeared.

Can anyone tell me, how to make a bootable USB with openSUSE on Ubuntu, so that it can be booted later on during a start-up of a computer?

Regards

There’s your mistake. It should have been

dd if=/path/to/opensuseimage.iso  of=/dev/sdb

You have to copy to the usb device, not to a file system (partition) on that device.

And before you try that command, make sure that “/dev/sdb” is correct for the usb device. (It probably is correct if you have only one internal drive and nothing else plugged in).

That’s exactly it! I corrected the command the way you explained and it worked, now I can proceed with the system installation. Thank you.