no sound with either 11.2 or 11.3

i have an asus P4B533-X Mobo with onboard sound. the sound worked great With Windows XP (yuck) once you got the AC’97 driver, I think thats the one,never payed close attention now that I have switched to Opensuse 11.2 and even in 11.3 I haven’t been able to make it work at all. I have even gone into the forums and tried a few things like adding audio to the profile group and restarted and still nothing. so help

I took a look at the Linux incompatibility list and immediately noted this motherboard was listed under ‘motherboards’ as NOT being compatible with Linux versions BEFORE 2.4.21: Motherboards - Linux Compatible - Incompatibility List However that is pretty ancient history, so assume this should work now.

Please note what the last part of our multimedia stickie has to say about having no sound: Welcome to multimedia sub-area (and I will quote it below):

If you have a problem getting your sound card to work, please go here:
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

If that that does not help you get your basic sound working, please post in this “multimedia” sub-forum, providing in your post the following information:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL/website-address that gives. Just the URL/website-address. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
Note if for some reason that gives you no website/url/address then run it with the no-upload option:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

and post the file /etc/alsa-info.txt it creates to Pastebin.com and press SUBMIT on that site and again post here the URL/website-address it provides. In addition, please provide the following:

• in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.1 or earlier, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or newer, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

There is also guidance for new users here, in setting up their multimedia: Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide