No Sound From Speakers...

I am a complete newbie who recently installed openSUSE 11.3 (64-bit). My desktop is KDE. Motherboard is MSI X58 Eclipse. Audio card (came with MB) is Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme H/W.

As the title of my message indicates, there’s no sound coming out from the speakers. I know that both speakers and sound card work fine because I just tested them under Windows XP.

I launched YaST, chose the Sound icon, clicked on Add, selected Creative Labs. The sound card model that comes close to the one I have should be X-Fi. So I chose that, selected Quick Automatic Setup and I get the following error message:
***An error occurred during the installation of X-Fi. The kernel module snd-ctxfi for sound support could not be loaded. This can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

I then went to Open Source - SoundCard Support (Creative Labs’ Open Source - SoundCard Support) but I did not download any drivers because of the following warnings:
**** THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED BETA DRIVER. There is no technical support for this driver.

• This beta driver has only been tested on the following 32-bit / 64-bit Linux distributions: Ubuntu® 7.10, openSUSE® 10.3 and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 5.1 (64-bit only).
  • We recommend that only experienced users install this driver. Do not install this driver on a system used to perform critical tasks.

I am completely inexperienced with Linux, so I am seeking guidance as to what I need to do in order to get sound to my speakers.

Thanks.

SDB:Audio troubleshooting - openSUSE

Could be a KDE setting issue.

Goto System setting => Multimedia => Phono…there you can change and test

When testing your PC for sound functionality, try one of these tests as both a regular user, and with root permissions from a terminal:

• first:
 speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
  • second, try again:
speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav
  • third:
speaker-test -c2 -D hw:0,0 -t wav -l3
  • fourth, this next command has a volume meter at the bottom of its output with a changing number of #'s and %'s to show volume levels so run this command and tell me if the number of #'s and %'s are changing:
aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_*
  • fifth: and also:
aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

Do any of those give an indication of sound ? Note it is typically 1/2 of those do not work. You only need ONE to work to prove your sound functionally setup.

Also try those with and without headphones.

If that does not work, then try moving your /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file to /home/your-user-name/50-sound.conf.mybackup
and then restart your PC and test your sound (do NOT go into YaST sound) again as noted above.

I was not referring to yast. Had similar problem. Fixed it with the KDE Systems settings on you desktop

cheers

I tried executing your suggested commands but I always end up getting error messages.:

speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav
speaker-test 1.0.23
Playback device is plug:front
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav
speaker-test 1.0.23
Playback device is default
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

speaker-test -c2 -D hw:0,0 -t wav -l3
speaker-test 1.0.23
Playback device is hw:0,0

aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_*
aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory

aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory

As for the suggestion to move file 50-sound.conf, I managed to copy it to /home/~ like you suggested but I am unable to delete it from /etc/~ because the option Move To Trash is grayed out. I don’t quite understand why because I am the only user and have Administrator privileges --as far as I know!

I have reached Step #3 mentioned in the SDB;Audio Troubleshooting link you gave me. I have run the ALSA Information Script and part of the report obtained shows the following:

**!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfb9ec000 irq 35
1 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xfbafc000 irq 16

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc HD48x0 audio
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG PCI to PCIe Bridge
05:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs [SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG**

It shows that I have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme sound card. But that card is not shown under Applications -> Configure Desktop -> Multimedia. I have tried to add the sound card manually but I get the error described in my original post.

In Yast > Hardware > Sound

Is the Soundblaster set to default sound card 0 (that’s a zero)

No, and I think that is part of the problem that I have… There is no mention of a Creative Labs’ Sound Blaster when I look in Yast -> Hardware -> Sound!

I tried adding the sound card manually but I get the error described in my original post.

ALSA’s report proves that the system detects the sound card, but for some reason openSUSE is unaware of its existence and won’t let me add it manually…

Are you then able to use your other sound device at this time?

If in Yast you try to add a card what happens?

Typically, regular users in Linux do NOT have Administrator permissions. That is the MS-Windows way and it is misleading if one thinks to do things that way in Linux. In Linux for desktop users, there are typically a minimum of 2 users. One administrator (root) and one the regular user (in my case oldcpu). The regular user should NOT have administrator permissions, but rather should ‘switch to administrator’ when required.

You need to learn how Administrator permissions are used in Linux else you will be frustrated and stymied in everything you do.

Sould Configuration lists the following sound cards for my system:
0 Sapphire HD4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink
1 SB1040

The first one I recognize it as being my video card, so I do not understand why it is listed by Sound Configurator. The second one I have no idea what it is.

At this point, I do not have any kind of sound coming out from the speakers. I tried both playing internet radio and music CDs. No sound whatsoever.
I tried to manually add my sound card but I get the error message mentioned in my original post.

If you make 1 SB1040 as 0 SB1040

So your list reads

0 SB1040
1 Sapphire HD4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink

Hightlight the 1 SB1040 and then set to primary (I’m guessing SB means sound blaster here)

This the principle I mean
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUSE%20Misc/set-audio-primary.jpg

In my view, until you implement this recommendation, you will not get your sound functioning.

I’ve followed your suggestion but there is no improvement…

Now check in kmix
That SB1040 is the playback device and the mixer settings are correct for it

Well… According to this link:
Matrix:Vendor-Creative Labs - AlsaProject
my sound card, X-Fi Xtreme Audio (PCIe), is not supported by the ALSA project.
I think this pretty much settles the issue, unless somebody knows a way around it.

As far as I can tell, everything is set correctly in Kmix. However, I discovered that my sound card is not supported by the ALSA project… See my other posting under this thread.

This is a built in card - correct?

I have onboard audio, I guess most folk do of some kind. But I still use a PCI sound card instead, one I know will work - whatever!