no sound after installing software from Packman

After installation of multimidia packages from Packman repositories I lost the sound. The sound was working fine before that. The first thing I tried was to uninstall or reinstall all packages changing the provider to openSUSE when possible, but it did not work. The packages are listed bellow

k3b  ffmpeg  lame  phonon-backend-vlc  phonon4qt5-backend-vlc  vlc-codecs  libdvdcss2  libxine2 
h264enc  x264  x265  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly  gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3
gstreamer-plugins-libav

My system is:

# uname -a
Linux linux-7l6l 4.4.120-45-default #1 SMP Wed Mar 14 20:51:49 UTC 2018 (623211f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Looking in yast2 sound configuration there are two sound devices: 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller as device “0” and GM204 High Definition Audio Controller, as “Not configured”, but my alsa information script says that both are installed (it may be found in http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=54c87a213147e1aac8b1098328dc8ef0f869964f).

Also looking in VLC menu Audio/Audio Device I see only one option for GM204 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI).

The output of lspci, amixer and aplay are shown bellow:

# lspci -nn | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller [8086:8ca0]
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fbb] (rev a1)

# amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 52429 [80%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 52429 [80%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
  Front Left: Capture 10589 [16%] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 10589 [16%] [off]

\
# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1150 Analog [ALC1150 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC1150 Digital [ALC1150 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]

I have tried to install the nVidia drivers but, after many trials and tribulations I gave up and stick to the nouveau drivers for now. So I am thinking that the nVidia sound device is not working because the drivers are not installed. I just do not understand why the motherboard sound device is not working.

At this point I am tempted to reinsntall the system again…

I thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer. It will be very much appreciated!

Sorry!

I forgot to say that the test sound the 9Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller works fine and I can hear the music.

Thanks!

Ok. I solved the problem in yast2 sound configuration settings. I took some time to understand why the sound test played fine but the sound player applications did not. I simply had to define the motherboard sound device as the main sound device…

I beg your pardon for bothering you.

OK, forget the previous message. Today morning I started may computer and the sound was losta again. I tried setting the mother boadr sound card as the main sound device, but this time nothing happens…

I am without sound again…

If some one can help me I would be very thankfull!

You were talking about nouveau and nvidia and that confused me. The nvidia in the context of your audio configuration is for HDMI. Are you attempting to obtain sound via HDMI ?

What test are you using to assess your sound is working or not working?

You also noted sound worked in YaST test sound but did not work otherwise. Sometimes that indicates a permission problem, but given your ON again, OFF again reporting about sound functionality, one other speculative cause of an intermittent sound issue is the HDMI device and Analogue device switching randomly when booting.

Please, if sound is not working, run that diagnostic script ( /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh ) as a regular user and again share the URL/web address here.

First of all, I am gratefull for your help!

Well, as I said in a previous message, when I click on the “Audio>Audio device” option on the VLC menu I see “GM204 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI)”. Since I disabled the nVidia option I see now “Internal Audio Analogic Surround 5.1”. The driver for both devices is snd-hda-intel.

I am using “yast2>hardware>sound>run” sound test. I am also trying to play a mp3 file with VLC. Actually none of the options produce any sound. Yesterday I could hear the test sound from yast2 but no sound in VLC or other application. After some trials I could hear VLC playng music and I thought the problem was gone, but today morning the sound was gone.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=12b0051b9e2d598a3872f1a51d0ad168db34dfc6

Thanks for your help. I hope you can shed some light on this problem.

I think that I will have to re-install Leap 42.3 again and try to install the midia codecs and add-ons. I must be getting old 'cause it never took so many tribulations to install a new version. I am using linux since 2000 and SUSE since version 8.1 (2005?).

Thank you.

I am posting the output of the pavucontrol command. There is a lot of Gtk warnings that may help to solve the problem:

# pavucontrol

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style proper
ty GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will b
e removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style proper
ty GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will b
e removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:70:34: The style proper
ty GtkCheckButton:indicator-size is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be
 removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:71:36: The style proper
ty GtkCheckMenuItem:indicator-size is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will 
be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style proper
ty GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore
. It will be removed in a future version

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:76:30: The style proper
ty GtkExpander:expander-size is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be rem
oved in a future version

(pavucontrol:2261): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:83:29: The style proper
ty GtkStatusbar:shadow-type is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be remo
ved in a future version

For all I know this could be a vlc specific issue. I do not recommend using vlc to test if one’s basic sound is functioning.

Again, this could be a VLC issue. Which ‘other’ application? VLC is not good for testing basic audio - and I since you don’t name the other application, I can’t say if they are also misconfigured.

Try a basic test , such as copying/pasting the following into a konsole/xterm (as a regular user) :

aplay -D hw:0,0 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav 

Do you hear anything? Do you get any errors in the konsole/xterm?

If no sound, try the same but this time with root permissions? Does that yield any sound? Again, any errors in the konsole/xterm.

I think unrelated.

I note this in the dmesg:

10.696090] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: can't find IRQ for PCI INT A; probably buggy MP table
   10.696115] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: can't find IRQ for PCI INT B; probably buggy MP table
   10.696118] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: Disabling MSI 

That might indicate another problem. That is not an nominal entry.

Again - please try sound tests that I recommended above.

I note also your PC has an ALC1150 … recently a user was trying to get HDMI sound working (different from you) where their PC had an ALC1150. They ended up writing a bug report.

The solution? They had to ‘kick start’ it by booting to another OS … You can read about it here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/529419-No-sound-from-Nvidia-HDMI/page2 in post #64 and #65 in that thread.

I suspect thou, their problem is very different, as their ‘dmesg’ in the script output had no similar errors.

No sound.

At this point I decided for a complete reinstallation, this time “by the book”. I do not blame this new version. I think it may be an exeption or perhaps I have messed up some procedure during the installation. I am getting old :-)))

I thank you for your help and patience.

Best of luck with the re-install.

wrt Packman vlc, don’t forget to install vlc-codecs. Also - don’t mix videolan and packman packages.