NO sound after dup from 12.3 to 13.1

After a mostly successful (internet, graphics and even the printer …) distro upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1 (KDE) I have absolutely no sound on my machine. I have tried to search the interwebs and although it seems somewhat common problem I have not found a suitable solution.

If I start vlc for instance I get a message like:

vlc
VLC media player 2.1.5 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-49-gdab6cb5)                                                              
[0x1e4e918] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused                             
[0x1f92218] main interface error: no suitable interface module                                                             
[0x1cae0b8] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed                                        
[0x1cae0b8] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

So it seems to have something to do with Pulse Audio but I have no clue on how to proceed. I have enables Pulse Audio Support on the Sound settings but that doesn’t seem to help.

Any takers?

Thanks!

With “Sound Settings” you mean YaST->Hardware->Sound, I suppose?
Have you logged out/in or rebooted after changing that? That’s needed for full effect.

Does it work if you disable PulseAudio?

Do you hear a test sound in YaST?

Try to remove the directory ~/.config/pulse/.

amarok gives:

> amarok
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioDataOutput ( no objectName ). 
Object::connect: No such signal Phonon::VLC::MediaObject::angleChanged(int)
Object::connect: No such signal Phonon::VLC::MediaObject::availableAnglesChanged(int)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action

Yes, I have rebooted the machine
No test sound in YaST
Can’t find ~/.config/pulse

Not sure what happened or why but after unplugging my headphones and plug them back in again sound works like a dream.