No nfs connection

I had a server running and had nfs working just fine. Until that machine went down! So I purchased a new machine of the same brand and basic model except,of course, newer. (Dell Inspiron).

I set the new machine up with the same directory setup, same network name, and the same dedicated ip address. I removed the old ssh keys and installed the new ones. ssh is working just fine. But, a “no route to host” message when trying to mount the drives from the new server on my desktop.

**ASU-X99:~ #** mount -v -t nfs4 10.118.118.4:/common /mnt/Server 
mount.nfs4: timeout set for Mon Feb  7 18:03:52 2022 
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'vers=4.2,addr=10.118.118.4,clientaddr=10.118.118.5' 
mount.nfs4: mount(2): No route to host 
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'vers=4.2,addr=10.118.118.4,clientaddr=10.118.118.5' 
^C 
**ASU-X99:~ #**

I can ping the server, I can ssh into it, so It seems the ethernet connection is there.

I followed the directions given by ReferenceServicesSharing file systems with NFS . However, in that document, it states that nfsd, idmapd, statd and mountd should be running. But I get this:

**ASU-X99:~ #** systemctl status nfsd 
Unit nfsd.service could not be found. 
**ASU-X99:~ #** systemctl status idmapd 
Unit idmapd.service could not be found. 
**ASU-X99:~ #** systemctl status statd 
Unit statd.service could not be found. 
**ASU-X99:~ #** systemctl status mountd 
Unit mountd.service could not be found. 
**ASU-X99:~ #**

I don’t understand.

I commented out the line in /etc/fstab to try the mount command. Nothing changed

I’m hoping someone can point some stupid little mistake I made because I can’t find it.

Bart

To check very quickly, is nfsd and the other not found services installed? On both the server and client? I use YaST for this, as it makes the setup much easier with pulling all the needed packages.

The other thing I always trip over is firewall rules–allowing NFS on the server for the current firewall “profile” (Home, Public, etc).

I’ve made the firewall mistake a few times!

Yeah, I’ve gotten caught with the firewall before! According to systemctl, firewalld is not running.

I’ll try installing and enabling those 4 demons and get back

Bart

FIXED IT! I had a typo in the domain entry. I looked at it several times but didn’t see it. My poor old eyes are having trouble with the difference between an m and an n.

In my defense, I’m having an operation on my right eye at the end of the month, which I am NOT looking forward to!

Thanks orbvs for your help!

Bart

Ha, well I didn’t do much to help–rubber duck debugging is pretty simple.

You’re in good company for mistakes like that. Just look through some of my early posts here. :slight_smile:

Best with your surgery, I wish you a speedy and sightful recovery!

Cataract?

• Assuming that, the operation will be done with a Laser, there’s no problems –
    Four years ago, my left eye – a British lens was inserted.
    Last September my right eye – a J&J lens was inserted.

Now, I don’t really need glasses any more for distance – only a light astigmatism; reading glasses at about 2 dioptre; computer screen glasses at about 1.5 dioptre.

• Everything is wonderfully sharp and, the dioptre adjustment on my camera «no glasses needed
    » is now “neutral” …

[HR][/HR]BTW, at the first OP, at the point where the “old” lens was removed, I thought they had dropped some LSD into the local anaesthetic – a wonderful multi-coloured light show … :slight_smile: