No network when booting LXQt

My Leap 42.3 works fine with KDE, internet via WiFi and all.
I did a 1 click install of LXQt. On logging into LXQt the basic desktop works OK but there is no network of any kind. I tried to define a WiFi connection but can’t enter any data, not even as SuperUser. How do I fix this?

Have you enabled Network Manager
YaST > Network Settings > Global Options tab
or
Preferences > Network Settings > Global Options tab

Then you should be able to create a WiFi network connection.

TSU

Also, if you want to configure the network once it is up and running, log in to KDE. It will offer more configuration options which will then be honoured in LXQt.

I have not noticed options, but yes configuring is organized and displayed differently.
So, depending on personal preferences a different Desktop can make a personal difference.

TSU

Thanks, Tsu and John,
I found what went wrong.
in the Preferences > Network Settings > Global options tab you have the choice to select either “Wicked Service” or “Network Manager Service”.
I selected Wicked Service with an automatic start at boot. This works fine with KDE but doesn’t work with LXQt which demands the Network Manager. When I select “Network Manager Service” this works fine with LXQT.

As for John, yes I can see KDE may be a bit more versatile. It’s just that I’ve been away from SUSE for more than 10 years. For the last 6 years I’ve been using DEBIAN with an LXDE desktop so I thought I might be a bit more at home with LXQT.
I’ll stay with KDE for a while and see how it feels!
Ausmuso

LXQt doesn’t really “demand” NetworkManager. I have it working fine with “wicked”.

Yes, sure, there’s an applet in the tray that says the network is disconnected. I just ignore that when running LXQt, and everything continues to work (including network connections).

XFCE does the same thing. I think I can tell it to not run the network applet. But I leave it running, so that it will be there if I ever switch from “wicked” to “NetworkManager”.

From what I’ve seen,
When networking is managed by Wicked, there are two network applets (maybe they should use different icons to lessen confusion?).
One always displays network properties and run time data,
The other as said says “Disconnected.”

This second “Disconnected” applet is because by default Network Manager is installed (and this second applet is part of Network Manager) although disabled. Maybe sometime someone would fix this… I assume that it might not be too difficult to for example write a tweak to “disable” in the Unit file that removes the applet from the tray, and adds the applet if “enabled.”

TSU