No GUI upon boot

Hello all,

Hoping to get some help here…I ran a

sudo zypper dup

last night to update my distro, and went to reboot, but can’t get a GUI to login. I’m just dropped into a terminal at startup.

Trying to start plasma via:

kstart5 plasmashell

gives me this error:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
Failed to create wl_display (no such file or directory)
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initiaized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Now, I assumed that my mix of repos in zypper may have caused a weird dependency issue when I went to do the dup, so I spent time removing pretty much all repos that aren’t default or repos for specific apps (like VSCode). I then went and did a reinstall of all my packages. No dice. I can try that again, but not really sure what’s going on here.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Show

uname -a

Linux linux.local 5.11.15-1-default #1 SMP Fir Apr 16 16:47:34 UTC 2021 (64fb5bf) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Show

inxi -CGSxxxz
System:    Kernel: 5.11.15-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Console: tty 1 DM: SDDM 
           Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20210425 
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Skylake-S rev: 3 cache: L2: 8 MiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 63999 
           Speed: 4504 MHz min/max: 800/4500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4504 2: 4506 3: 4500 4: 4509 5: 4499 6: 4501 7: 4500 
           8: 4507 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] driver: N/A bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1b81 class-ID: 0300 
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: nvidia tty: 128x48 
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display 

ILL system cannot load Nvidia’s drivers. Possibly kernel is too new for them.
Try to use Intel GPU that built in CPU.
Or try to load previous kernel if that is possible.
Or try to load OS with kernel parameter “nomodeset”.
Some other possibilities are available.

Your decription confuses me. It seems to describe no GUI whatsoever, as well as a GUI that tries to start but fails.

Is your normal user configured to automatically login on boot? If not, on the login screen try running Plasma in an Xorg session instead of Xwayland, or instead of Plasma, test an IceWM session. If yes, then auto login should be disabled so that you can select an alternate session type. Using nomodeset as Svyatko suggested you should be able to run X and Plasma well enough to make this settings change.

This could be a simple matter of selecting a prior kernel to boot from the Grub menu. If that doesn’t help, try nomodeset as a troubleshooting test. Nomodeset normally makes everything in the GUI slow to a crawl, like using a 20-25 year old PC, so don’t consider it a fix.

Another possibility is your login greeter is broken. At a text login screen you can change to a different login manager, e.g. from GDM to SDDM, or SDDM to LightDM:

update-alternatives --config default.displaymanager