NFS Server(New to OpenSuse)

Installed Leap 15.1 and am trying to setup an NFS server. Am getting the message nfs-kernel-server is not available, it is installed.

Welcome to openSUSE Forums. Did you enable and start nfsserver.service yet?

sudo systemctl enable nfsserver
sudo systemctl start nfsserver

Additionally, if firewalld is active, then allow the service using

sudo firewall-cmd --add-service=nfs --permanent
sudo firewall-cmd --reload

Did those and it’s still saying not available.

So what is reported by the server?

sudo systemctl status nfsserver
sudo showmount -e

● nfsserver.service - Alias for NFS server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfsserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (exited) since Thu 2019-12-05 21:00:46 EST; 31min ago
Main PID: 893 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Tasks: 0 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/nfsserver.service

Dec 05 21:00:46 d systemd[1]: Starting Alias for NFS server…
Dec 05 21:00:46 d systemd[1]: Started Alias for NFS server.

Export list for d:

Have you ever used Linux or NFS before? Looks like possibly all you’re lacking is at least one valid entry in /etc/exports, then another nfs-server restart:

# systemctl status nfs-server
● nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
  Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d
           └─nfsserver.conf, options.conf
        /run/systemd/generator/nfs-server.service.d
           └─order-with-mounts.conf
   Active: active (exited) since Thu 2019-12-05 04:42:46 EST; 21h ago
 Main PID: 1120 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/nfs-server.service

While all the advice above is true, when you are a beginner, it may best to use YaST. After all YaST is THE openSUSE system management tool.

YaST > Network Services > NFS Server. You can there configure your exports and YaST will be so kind to switch NFS Server on as a bonus.
Switching on and off can also be done using YaST > System > Services Manager.

And all can be done with commands like edit /etc/exports and the systemctl commands showed in earlier posts.

@MrOctober77:

The openSUSE documentation for setting up NFS is here: <https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha-nfs.html><https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/index.html>
<https://doc.opensuse.org/>

That’s what I used to try to set it up, but the nfs-kernel-server says not available even though it’s installed

You indeed say so, but we do not realy know when and where. Please always copy/paste from the terminal ad post between CODE tags. So all can see what you did and whatyou got and can try to come to conclusions.

● nfsserver.service - Alias for NFS server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfsserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Thu 2019-12-05 21:00:46 EST; 31min ago
 Main PID: 893 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/nfsserver.service

Dec 05 21:00:46 d systemd[1]: Starting Alias for NFS server...
Dec 05 21:00:46 d systemd[1]: Started Alias for NFS server.

Please always copy paste including the prompt/command line before the ouput and the new line with the new prompt. Now we have output, but no idea (well we can guess, but that is not always a good thing to do) what you did to get it.

And I do not see the message you say you got. It runs already for half an hour.

And lease what is your exports configuration:

cat /etc/exports

The message is in the NFS setup. Firewall not configurable, nfs-kernel-server (Not available)

Please also answer request from post #13

dld@localhost:~> cat /etc/exports
/home/dld/Pictures    *(ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

I am afraid that I have still no idea when and where you see this. “in the NFS setup” is to vague for me. As you have seen in the advice above people do this in several ways. Is this in YaST > Network Services > NFS Server? Elsewhere? Please remember we can not look over your shoulder. We depend on your step by step explanation. And when this is in a GUI tool (like YaST), you can upload screen shots to https://susepaste.org/ (Click on Image right top and do not forget to post the URL here).

BTW your /etc/exports looks OK to me.
You only report about the message, but does it work or not? Can you mount from a client? And when not, can you then mount on the client when you switch off the firewall in your server temporary?

https://susepaste.org/56116265

Ah, so you are using the YaST NFS Server module. I get similar reported when I use that GUI utility, but I generally enable and start nfsserver.service manually anyway.

Do you have a firewall running?

sudo systemctl status firewalld
sudo firewall-cmd --list-all

Firewall is running, this is the list-all

public
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces: 
  sources: 
  services: dhcpv6-client samba emby-server
  ports: 
  protocols: