Newbie (returning) regarding GPU drivers for a gamer

Hi.

It’s been 15 years since i messed with a Linux distribution. I got talked into it again, so here i am. As the title suggests, i am a gamer, and i NEED my graphics to run smoothly.
I’ve been trying to make this tumbleweed work for me, and i do like it… However, as a newbie, there’s SOOOO much i don’t know. Everything i do know, is Windows… Sigh… Yea, i know…

I’ve installed a couple times today, and i keep butting my head up against, the drivers for my 3080 Ti… Everything else in my computer is AMD, just not the GPU… It’s in a HP Omen, i got a very good deal on, which is little over a year old now…

Ok, so here’s the thing…
I understand, that i need “Nouveau” to NOT run, or the Nvidia drivers wont run. I get that part, i think…
I read a post (Most are a year or older) that provided me a konsole command, to check what driver was currently running. (And i forgot. I know, should’ve written it down…)
It said it was running “Nouveau”, after i’ve installed the Nvidia drivers, as directed…
Which buggles me, as i’ve seen several posts, say that Nvidia should disable “Nouveau” automatically ?

Everything on my desktop now, is running like it’s going at 10-20 fps. Choppy as hell…
The first install i had this morning, i tested several different driver guides, and all failed in one way or another… So i ended up with a ton of extras in YaST2, and even some extra repos…
I tried to install a couple others, that wasn’t suggested in the posts i read, and by some miracle, the computer ran perfectly… NO IDEA what the hell i did, or chose…

But, as is my constant luck - The very next reboot, as i got to the login screen… Well… I entered my password… Black screen for a couple seconds, and reset to login screen… After i’ve tried that a couple times, and realized it was futile… I rebooted, thinking maybe a “windows fix” might solve it… But no… Same deal…

Thinking maybe, i’ve forgotten my password, or some such… (After using it 100 times before…) - I typed a password that was gibberish… - And this time it said “Login failed”…

It didn’t do that when i put in my actual password…

You can see why this is puzzling me, right?

I’ve also disabled “secure boot”, so that shouldn’t be the issue either…

Done a few reinstalls during today… And recently, i installed the drivers, then found out, “Nouveau” is still running the show…

What is the command to check which driver is currently running ?
Why are, well, all the guides on the internet, not very “newbie”-friendly ? - I get i’m getting on in age, but i wouldn’t call myself senile, just yet…

Is there some proper resources out there, for an old ■■■■ like me ?

Thank you, for allowing me to rant… Hope there’s a kindhearted soul outthere, that can enlighten me… :wink:

Maybe start from the post

inxi -Gxxx
1 Like