New User

hello been distro-hopping for a while now. installed 11.4 last night using the net installer on my compaq evo n160 laptop. It has a p3 1.13Ghz with 512 ram. also the video is the old mobility so I had to add nomodeset to the boot to get it to run right. Seems to run a lot better than the others-right now the temp is at a cool 118 and the speedstep is working well. Most of the others ran between 140-165. I am very pleased;)

http://forums.opensuse.org/images/icons/icon6.png New User                     hello  been distro-hopping for a while now. installed 11.4 last  night using the net installer on my compaq evo n160 laptop. It has a p3  1.13Ghz with 512 ram. also the video is the old mobility so I had to add  nomodeset to the boot to get it to run right. Seems to run a lot better  than the others-right now the temp is at a cool 118 and the speedstep  is working well. Most of the others ran between 140-165. I am very  pleased;)                 

Welcome to the openSUSE forums maxpro4u. So it does not sound like you are too new a Linux user, but still I would like to direct you to the following link, just in case you need some info on using openSUSE:

New User How To/FAQ (read only)

Please, just ask if anything else is in question and you need some help here.

Thank You,

Welcome. Glad to hear things are going well for you.

thanks for the welcome. I think I’ll just lurk for a while and if I have another problem-well google is my friend(unless after a few days I can’t find a solution)

-max

If it were my system I wouldn’t wait a few days to find an solution. Don’t hesitate to post here, people will be happy to take you up and usually get your problem resolved pretty quickly.

I took your advice and posted about my video card in the laptop section

On 08/14/2011 09:46 PM, maxpro4u wrote:
>
> thanks for the welcome. I think I’ll just lurk for a while and if I have
> another problem-well google is my friend(unless after a few days I can’t
> find a solution)

welcome max,

maybe you already know this (but i throw it out just in case it might be
useful to you or someone who googles into this thread)

be careful when googling for answers to your openSUSE problems because
there are millionS of answers going back 15 to 20 years and some of
those only a year old (written for openSUSE 11.1) will not fix a problem
you might have with 11.4–i am NOT kidding!

my free advice: to have your best shot at finding a solution search with
words/phrases which increase your chance of finding the correct
solution, like use the site specifier in the search string:

site:forums.opensuse.org searches these forums only
site:en.opensuse.org searches the openSUSE wiki only
site:doc.opensuse.org searches the official docs only
site:opensuse.org searches all above and more

and, if you want to search outside of the opensuse.org universe you
can find wonderful answers which might work…or might not, i almost
always throw in a “suse” to try to limit away from answers which might
be unique to Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, etc etc etc etc etc…

if i can’t an answer after exhausting leads using the above filters,
then i replace “suse” with “linux” and CAREFULLY check to see how old is
the advice found, and what distribution does it pertain to…or maybe
it is a generic linux problem and solution…there ARE millions of those
also…

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

thanks for the info:)

-max

Hello max, welcome to the forums. I`ve been distro hopping too but i got back to using openSUSE as my main linux OS even if Debian Testing is in Virtual box, because i feel good using it and because it was and still is my true “linux love” :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw in your sig that you are running KDE 4.7 - where can I get mine???:stuck_out_tongue:

KDE 4.7 is in the repos. Add Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/47/openSUSE_11.4 through Yast - Software - Software repositories, import the key.
Next start the Software Management, select the repo view, select the KDE 4.7 repo, and click “Switch system packages …” on the top right. Accept, let Software manager do it’s job, logout, login, and you’re in the latest KDE desktop.

thanks - seems to have worked;) What repositories do you use? I am wondering if I have the right ones enabled…