New to OBS - Creating a derived package

Hi all.

I am new to OBS, never used it, first time now. I want to make things correctly. I saw in OBS that it is possible to create a package derived from another.

I created my first project and want to derived my package from another existant one.

Fisrt, I think I have to click Create new package based on existing package. Is that right?

When I click it, there is this message on top that says :

By branching a package from another project you add the package and its files to your project in a transparent way. Changes of the files in the original project will also change the files in the branched package in your project.

I try to build clementine 0.5 for openSUSE 11.2 (I know it exists in KDE:Extra, but it doesn’t support MTP device and I told myself, why not give a try at OBS :wink: ) and I want to derive it from an existing package made for openSUSE 11.3. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, since the spec file is there and all other files, I just want to build it for 11.2 in i586 and x86_64.

So, if I understand well, if changes are made on the files of the 11.3 version, changes will be reflected on my derived package. Is there potential problem with this or I don’t need to worry about it?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

It depends. Your derived package will automatically advance with changes made on the other side of the fence. That seems good. As far as I understand, your principal change will be within the configure options in the .spec file to include the features you need. Still good. But let’s assume that you have to add some patches for the source as well, then your patches may break when the source is updated at the other end. You would have to re-do them. That’s how I understand this works. Anyone to correct me?