New Repair for CD's!!!

Ok, I know this is A odd place for this, but since I am A
openSUSE
user, I thought I would let y’all know about it first.

Ok here goes.

Most cheap at-home cd repairs (that I have seen) involve Temporary
(Vaseline,Wax) fixes, or further scratching (Brasso, Toothpaste)
However these are chancy at best so, for the last
month or so, I have been trying to think of something better.
Got It!!

one word: Butane.
Here’s how you do it.

Purchase a jet lighter (you know, the kind that sounds like a miniature blowtorch;) ).

Since plastic melts ( Ahhhh there’s the key!!!)
You simply melt the scratches!!!

Experiment with old Cd’s until you perfect the art!(Please!!).
NEVER Touch the cd with the flame!!!

And if it’s Really Bad, place it on a plate with some water in it
(dont cover the cd)and melt the scratches.

Safety Warning:

The Cd can catch on fire or warp if it gets to hot!!!

Sorry if this is the wrong place, But I thought I would like to
let this community know first!!

When I have a bad disk, I only want to get one good read off of it so that I can copy it to a new disk. I start with a good thick paste wax like Turtle Wax. Apply to the disk and smear it all around real good. Let it dry. Buff it off and test the disk. Sometimes, it may take ten coats of wax to fill in those scratches.

It is a pain to do, but it doesn’t damage the disk.

>>>>It’s a pain to do but it does not damage the disc<<<<

I Hear ya- But if you are careful the lighter does not damage it either- makes it look like new :P.

It’s always dangerous to play anything with firelol!
Anything, even with the opposite gender>:)

To Wilson, follow karate kids technique, “buff in, buff out” might do the trick.

Interesting.
Only ever had One damaged disk. I thought for sure it wouldn’t work. Well it didn’t play properly, but k3b ripped it without error. Strange.

• nathanaelc wrote, On 12/14/2008 03:56 AM:
    >>>>> It’s a pain to do but it does not damage the disc<<<<
    >
    > I Hear ya- But if you are careful the lighter does not damage it
    > either- makes it look like new :P.

Thinking about it, a heat gun may do an even better job.
Never tried it, though.

Uwe

This a pretty interesting method. Paste wax (aka carnuba wax, natural wax product) used for cars can leave a white residue that is nearly impossible to remove once it dries. Since scratches are below the original surface, I’d think that removing it would be just as difficult when it gets embedded.
Since your dealing with only the plastic portion of the CD/DVD, etc.
There are several “polishing” compounds and methods that might work just as well specifically designed for restoring plastic or glass surfaces such as head light lenses, etc.
Take a look @ the Mother’s brand plastic polishing compound.
The Turtle Wax Ice brand might work here too, this is a synthetic clear polishing compound, I’ve used it on my car many times with excellent results. it leaves no residue and can even be used on plastic surfaces.
There is also a special kit (although I’ve never used it) that includes a special type of sandpaper with a polishing compound for restoring and smoothing plastic surfaces. The sandpaper is more like a super fine tissue paper (grit graded for 1000+ or more). I am not sure of the brand name.
This is much like the method used by the fiber optic cable fabrication techs for polishing.
Have a look @ your locate auto parts store and wander thru the polishes and cleaners section some time.
I’ve also heard of using good ole fashioned “Chapstick” to fill/hide scratches in glass surfaces as well, might work here too. apply on the scratched area liberally and wipe off the excess.

In the 80’s and early 90’s I do a lot of airbrush renderings and we use frisket tape to mask the object we don’t want to paint. Now I am thinking if I can carefully tape the sides of the scratch part and carefully put a thin silicon on the scratch and wipe it gently with a dump cloth might do. In my do it yourself at home I usually tape the the connection between the wall and floors before applying silicon at the corners where both edges meet and the silicon finish tend to be straight and clean with sharp edges. :::\