New builds in Mozilla repo?

What’s going on with the Mozilla repository? I haven’t seen any updates for Firefox there in a while, but I’m getting notices of new builds in the updates (12.0-18.1 in updates vs 12.0-2.1 in Mozilla). The Mozilla repo has always had the latest stable build in the past.

Well could do it manually but if you are running a 64 bit OS I do recommend chrome cause Adobe has announced they are stopping support for Linux 64 Bit but on the upside google has said they will continue to develop 64 bit flash for there linux browser.

DMGrier, you are wrong. This is for 64bit and 32bit linux, see Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux
But… what does your statement have to do with the state of the mozilla repo anyway?
What do you mean with “Well could do it manually”???

So to the question of chief_sealth first:
The “update” you see in the update-repo is the same version as in the mozilla-repo: 12.0. The numbers that comes after that are just build-numbers and can be ignored by users. Higher build-numbers do not mean that they include any kind of new feature or security fix. So both repos are up to date and just fine.

Now to DMG
I need to mark your statement in general as not conformal with official openSUSE policy. It can´t be, because chrome is closed source partly. You should at least recommend chromium as the open source part of chrome. But flash won´t come with chromium, only chrome… so flash may be a problem in a year or so, when you want to play a browser-game or so that needs flash 11.3. Otherwise you could just stay with flash 11.2 and firefox for at least 5 years, as adobe will ship security updates for this period: “Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.” [source: link above]

On 05/18/2012 09:16 AM, tomtomme wrote:
> I need to mark your statement in general as not conformal with official
> openSUSE policy. It can´t be, because chrome is closed source partly.
> You should at least recommend chromium as the open source part of
> chrome.

unless i misunderstand, DMGrier is “just another user” here freely
donating time in trying to be helpful to other “just another users”…

and, as such he (or she, as the case may be) can recommend any browser
they please, including Internet Exploder (in WINE or in XP, etc)

that is to say: as far as i know there is no openSUSE Community Policy
saying that all users must only recommend open source software in all
cases…

dd

you are right, and I appreciate that. But he should try to answer the users question harder… I don´t know how to say this more politely…

Yes he can. And I can mark this recommendation as not open-source friendly. Maybe he/she did not know, that chrome is not open-source…

Sorry, I should not have spoken of an official policy, which I do not exactly know of or if it exists at all. But I also did not say that it is forbidden to recommend open source software (I also use flash, catalyst etc.). I only wanted to emphasize it :P. I hope that is the right word. My english is far from perfect. I don´t want to offend him/her/anyone. :slight_smile: